Check out this gent's house (living quarters)

I like this kind of stuff! Cool! I like building unique houses......Lotsa trouble with permits etc though, harder and harder to just up and do things like this, let alone try to sell it......No bank financing available for crazy creative things, so a guy has to do it all on his own with a Home Depot Contractors Account....

I had one hell of a time trying to do my last build over in Lake Geneva Wi...never seen such a damn deal, and its not like I was putting an airplane on a property...all sorts of restrictions and inspectors, no gray water greenhouse etc...

Each location suits a certain style dwelling, like it belongs there and grew out of the ground all on its own? Might be FLW flattop here, and a nice Victorian there, a CapeCod looks good here, a Scandinavian scribe log belongs here, a Timberframe here, a simple 4 pitch Ranch here... kind of thing... ...

Its a bummer that dwelling construction creativity is discouraged, outlawed even..I suppose...it could be one hell of a mess in a neighborhood if everybody could just do and build whatever the hell they wanted? In some places like Detroit for instance, at this juncture, what would be the harm? It could actually be a huge benefit! Just open up one burned down block for a free for all Go Nutz No Rules buildathon! Probably become a tourist attraction even!...

Mine would be comprised out of Concrete or Galvanized culvert sections, Heavy steel plasma cut scrap plates from Alro Steel, shipping containers, various bits of scrap laying around for free...gun turrets and a rooftop garden/hottub of course...Bet I can bring the whole project in for less than 50k!....

The next house I hope to inhabit.....would be Earth sheltered, concrete/steel...small, safe, efficient and minimal maintenance, quiet and peaceful neighborhood, ample parking...like a casket vault I guess! :laughing:

There's all kinds of ways to build efficient housing , but they don't meet the city building codes, standards , etc. they'd rather you be indebted to the banks for some minimal standard efficient wood and plastic box. To much government control. That's all I'm going say on this , putting up with dumass inspectors for a living has hardened the soul.

A couple years ago, Mother Earth News magazine ran an article on "alternative housing", that had something that caught my eye, being in Iowa. Part of the article was about a group that was able to build housing out of grain bins. You know, the round ones, about 20-25' diameter, and about 18' tall.
One guy had taken two of them, loosened all the bolts in the walls, and squeezed one down small enough that he was able to crane it, and nestle it inside the second, then fill the wall with expanding foam. Another used three of them, interconnected with short hallways, for a three-room house.
Seems that this would be one heck of a good use for recycling something like that.
And I find that Sukup has done exactly that.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/natural-building/grain-bin-homes-zmgz13jjzsto

Roger

That's awesome, nothing like building with scrap!
Odd he took the time to do the double wall though to fill with insulation, he could have sprayed on expanding insulation and then just rocked the interior or sprayed on a stucco type finish and trowel it out. That is the way i would go with such a project, but to each his own...

There is so many ways to build homes , earthen dam , sod , container , silos , grain bins , cordwood , conventional , modified conventional, etc. But , in the cities , getting the permission to build these is almost nonexistent. Cities and counties just don't want allow anything out of the ordinary. I like seeing a little change every now and then. I like the creativeness of these homes. But in most areas , everything has to match , stay with the keeping of the neighborhood. I just finished a tiny home on a trailer for a girl , and it's built to a campers standards. So the county is now trying to make up codes for theses homes. This is the 1st one in their county. People have campers set up on lots , and at homes , and they're not an issue , so why is a custom built camper ? Now they're trying to tell her she may have to move it closer to the septic system , she only has gray water , no black water , so no sewage. She may have to remove the axles. If she does that , they can make it fall under a regular home , or a mobile home , which means a permanent foundation , or having to be tied down like a mobile home with torque specs and all. It's a racket. Around here , the only way you may be able to build these unconventional homes is to own a few acres , out of site of anyone else , meet whatever requirements the county puts on you , and then , the house can probably never be able to be sold , no transfer of ownership. Which is fine if it's going to be your last home.
Oh well , just venting here , dealt with plenty of these inspectors that don't have a mind of their own , hands tied by beurocratic red tape , and no balls to fight it. Maybe it's just me , I'm not the right fit for my area , :lol:
Sorry for the long rant.

Hey, a REALLY avid detectorist could make a house like this ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

detectorist_house2.jpg

Last edited:
There's all kinds of ways to build efficient housing , but they don't meet the city building codes, standards , etc. they'd rather you be indebted to the banks for some minimal standard efficient wood and plastic box. To much government control. That's all I'm going say on this , putting up with dumass inspectors for a living has hardened the soul.

I am in complete agreement! Humans have been building dwellings for a very long time utilizing materials at hand without any inspectors or permits or certified archetectural drawings, or a bank loan....Its just been in the last 70yrs or so when things went sideways and got all constrained...

Hell, amongst other things, I build boats, out of wood, no plans required, just a pile of supplies and a general rough idea....As Humans have done for eons up until lately it seems!...Try getting a 'Hull number' required to obtain a license on a simple boat!? Damndest thing...gotta be Coast Guard inspected, approved and certified...It takes all the fun out of being creative dealing with CYA inspector peckerwoods who have no base of knowledge...building things is fun! doing the 'permit' paperwork is NOT! Some beaurucrat who never drove a nail telling you you 'Cant'?...

Attachments

• extended running.jpg
    extended running.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 78
  • viking boat.jpg
    viking boat.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 78
  • tugboat1.jpg
    tugboat1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 81
  • row boat.jpg
    row boat.jpg