old wives tales

schmitzplumbing

Forum Supporter
my dad stopped over the other day and saw my 2 big marine batteries sitting on my cement floor while charging. after a stern warning on how that would ruin them, I googled it. he is wrong. look it up. its actually better for them. old wives tales. he was right 80 years ago. any others?

He may be wrong, can't blame him. I've heard that one before and was never tempted to put it to the test !

I've heard that as well , and have made it a practice not to set them on concrete. Wether it's true or not , I didn't want to take the chance.
If it thunders when snow lays on the ground, it'll snow again within 7 days. That one proved true a few years back.

Im very warm blooded. I hardly ever wear a coat unless it is below freezing. I can't count the times I have heard. "You'll catch a cold!" Hogwash. You don't catch a cold from being in cold weather. Old wives tale for sure.

if someone slaps you on the back while you are making a face it will stay that way. well maybe that one is true. you should see my ugly mug. :laughing:

From Reader's Digest:

Don't eat spicy food if you are prone to ulcers.

False.

Doctors used to think spicy foods were no good for people with peptic ulcers. Modern research, however, has shown that this isn't necessarily the case.

In fact, there's some evidence to suggest that hot peppers, which contain a chemical called capsaicin, may actually help to heal ulcers by stimulating blood flow to the wound.

From Reader's Digest:

Fish is brain food.

True.

You may have been told when you were growing up that eating fish improves your brain's capacity - and there is now some proof that this old wives' tale is true.

The reason for this is fish oils, which contain omega-3 and omega-6. These essential fatty acids (EFAs) are critical for health, normal growth and the development and function of our brains.

In a study carried out by neuroscientist and senior research fellow at Oxford University Dr Alex Richardson and colleague Dr Madeleine Portwood, 120 primary-school children with coordination difficulties who were given a mix of omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs over three months showed significant improvements in school performance.

Fish oils have also long been shown to protect against coronary heart disease, as well as Alzheimer's disease and rheumatoid arthritis; they have anti-inflammatory properties which protect blood vessels and are also considered helpful in reducing stiffness and tenderness in joints.

My grandmother used to say that if you fish on Sunday you will catch a snake. I have to say that the only time I have ever caught a snake on my hook was while fishing on a Sunday.

I remember my aunt telling me that I had to wait a half hour after eating to go swimming or I would get a cramp, total bs...
Also, the old "Don't go out in that cold, you will catch a cold" is complete nonsense, you are far more likely to catch a cold gathered inside with other people.

Catfish sting with their whiskers..

Opossums don't bite...

Coons won't bite...

Mudpuppies are harmless...

It's a cat...

<°)))>{

my dad stopped over the other day and saw my 2 big marine batteries sitting on my cement floor while charging. after a stern warning on how that would ruin them, I googled it. he is wrong. look it up. its actually better for them. old wives tales. he was right 80 years ago. any others?
That's too funny! The first wive's tale I could think of was "don't store a battery on a concrete floor". :laughing:

That's too funny! The first wive's tale I could think of was "don't store a battery on a concrete floor". :laughing:

Yeah! I've heard this my whole life as well!...I was diligent to find a piece of wood to set them on....Tell you what though, this computer machine is about the greatest tool to ever come along when a fellow wants to fix about anything...fixed my printer yesterday...color ink cartridge would'nt print...... I 'googled it' and there was a youtube vid showing how to solve the problem....

My boss told me that when I worked in his shop. Thirty five years later I still put my battery on 2x4s when I charge it. It'll probably take me another 35 years to just leave it on the floor.

A black racer snake will grab its tail in its mouth and roll like a hoop.

I suggest there's a modicum of truth to the concrete floor/battery tale. It's just not detailed enough.
Don't store a battery on a cold concrete floor. Low temps are bad for lead/acid batteries, and sitting on a cold floor pulls a lot of heat out of the battery, thus decaying it's ability(s).
The truth suggests that the tale came out of someone, (or a bunch of someones), leaving batteries on an unheated garage floor over the winter, and most of them turning bad over that time.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

Yeah! I've heard this my whole life as well!...I was diligent to find a piece of wood to set them on....Tell you what though, this computer machine is about the greatest tool to ever come along when a fellow wants to fix about anything...fixed my printer yesterday...color ink cartridge would'nt print...... I 'googled it' and there was a youtube vid showing how to solve the problem....

BINGO !!!!!

Thanks for sharing that with the forum Mud, I learned a long time ago that when there was a "fix it" or "how to" problem I was not sure about I figured that surely I was not the first person to trying to figure this out, and would get on the internet and search.

Besides manufacturer's web site support sections, two other places to search are forums and youtube, just like people come to this forum for metal detecting help, there are forums that cover computer stuff, household repairs, car repairs, and the list goes on and on, whatever you're trying to figure out there likely is a forum that covers it, same with youtube.

It's not a guarantee you'll find a solution, and sometimes it takes a bit of searching, but I've had many times an internet search was a big help !

Also, while I realize it's not foolproof, I like to check customer reviews on Amazon.com on many items even if I might buy it at a local store, but for me to feel somewhat comfortable there needs to be a fair amount of positive reviews, preferably over 100 reviews. If a product has a high percentage of negative reviews then it is unlikely I'll buy it.

Back
Top Bottom