New car time soon, CVT?

Pulltabby

Forum Supporter
Hi, just window shopping for car/van what's your take on cvt is it like the 8 track of the eighties just a fad to save fuel or here for good.

Maybe if you own a cvt equipped car you could comment, seems most cars all look the same just with a different car emblems taped on.

I'm not sold on the steel belt with about 400 parts seems crazy ? that goes between the pully, Good/Bad/Ugly?

oj/bc

I rented one last time i was in the US, kinds seemed like it couldn't make up it's mind which gear to be in.

My sister has a 2007 Nissan Versa SL with it. Parents bought it new, handed it down to sister. The CVT has never given her a problem. When it does shift its silent/ not noticeable I guess. I've only driven it a few times. Nowadays seems like you can get them with most small cars and suvs.

I have always just loved chirping while grabbing second...

I don't think I'd be a fan of a CVT...

<°)))>{

Nissan has been using the CVT for years with no real issues. As a mechanic I can say I have seen very few in the shop for transmission repairs.

I rented one last time i was in the US, kinds seemed like it couldn't make up it's mind which gear to be in.

I worked at a parts store for many years and this is mostly what customers told me.

We just bought a brand new Ford Fusion and loooove it.

I just bought a 2017 Subaru impreza with CVT. I've practiced driving a manual before but I didn't want to focus on shifting the entire time i'm driving and would like the option to switch from auto to manual when I wanted to. Half the time i'm driving I am in paddle shifter mode... You can get more power and better acceleration red-lining in 1st, shifting to 2nd, red-lining and shifting, etc. It also helps to manually downshift when coming down a hill.

The car automatically shifts the same way my previous non CVT car did

Never had any issues so far and I can switch from manual to auto and vice versa while im driving

Last edited:
I was talking with a retired mechanic one day. He was discussing a car his daughter wanted to buy. He said $#%@^ no to the idea because it had a CVT transmission. I've never driven a vehicle with one (other than one of those cheap Chinese scooters). He made it sound like once they have a problem, you may as well just replace the transmission.

The CVT shouldn't really have a issue finding gears hence the first two letters continuously variable.

My wife had a 2013 PATRIOT I bought her new......it didn't make it to 2014, and it was gone. I hated the lagging.

Back
Top Bottom