How would you handle this?

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
I shipped a coil to a fellow forum member on another forum. I shipped it to his Paypal confirmed address which he hasn't lived at for 2 years. Now, here it is 8 days past the last scan which shows undeliverable as addressed. I still don't have the package back. :mad:

I did insure it, however not for the full value.

How would you handle a refund to the buyer?

G2M

I wouldn't refund to the buyer right away. It's their fault that their address was incorrect, so it's more their problem than it is yours.
Wait and see is about all that you can do. If the package turns up you can send it to their current address. But if it doesn't I would say it's your decision whether or not to take the hit for the difference between what it was insured for and what they paid, and even then I'd have to consider who's at fault.

I wouldn't refund to the buyer right away. It's their fault that their address was incorrect, so it's more their problem than it is yours.
Wait and see is about all that you can do. If the package turns up you can send it to their current address. But if it doesn't I would say it's your decision whether or not to take the hit for the difference between what it was insured for and what they paid, and even then I'd have to consider who's at fault.

I wonder which side Paypal would take?

I'd kind of lean the same way. Wouldn't refund until you found the package and either got it back or collected from the claim. I'd explain it to the buyer, you held up on your end of the bargain and sent to the address you were supplied. Now if you get it back or get a claim check, he's entitled to a refund.

After I moved, I tried to change my PayPal address repeatedly. I'd purchase a bunch of things that would come to my new address, then all of a sudden PayPal would use my old address. I'd check to see if something similar happened. Good luck.

After I moved, I tried to change my PayPal address repeatedly. I'd purchase a bunch of things that would come to my new address, then all of a sudden PayPal would use my old address. I'd check to see if something similar happened. Good luck.

That is exactly what happened but the forward order from his old address has expired so it should have been returned to me. :(

The same thing happened to me. I changed my address through PayPal more than once. I've purchased several items through eBay with no problem, those items made it to my new address. However I purchased a CTX 3030 book from Andy S., and all of a sudden my address is reverted back to my old one. Luckily I caught it in time before the book was shipped. Andy issued a refund and I repurchased the book with the new address. PayPal is a PITA at times!

It took me more than 2 weeks to get a package back using USPS, so it's not time to start to worry.

Good Luck!

PS If it is lost, pay the buyer whatever the shipper pays you. It's not your fault that the buyer did not update his address. There should be no money out of your pocket because of his mistake.

PayPal is tricky as they always side with the buyer. Buyers lose, they stop buying and Paypal don't make no money.
Hope this ends well on your behalf

Thanks for the replies. I want to do the right thing, but I don't feel I should be on the hook for all of the money. :( I will wait a few more days then figure it out. Hopefully it will show up in tracking soon.

G2M

You can change the address using the tracking number, just call the shipping co. Make sure the buyer emails you the new address, so you can keep a record. BTW PayPal will side with you since you shipped it to the address on file with PayPal.

Already said by joee5 pay pal is on the buyers side I used them years ago and someone hacked into my account emptied it for 1800.00 changed my password and I was never able to recover the money I don't know if things have changed but at that time it was in 2007 all they had was an email address no phone number and when I'd send an email the response was instant it was just a computer generated answer to my question eventually I chalked it up to an expensive lesson if you know of a way that could have recovered my money it doesn't matter now and wish I could've talk to you then. They charge entirely to much for their service. I hope this all works out for you and no fault of yours you're the one in limbo. Good luck from a past pay pal and never again under any circumstance user.

I have never bought anything without sending the seller my address in both a message, and in the PayPal notes. Did the buyer really just send you the payment without any other communication?

BTW I hope this doesn't sound like you did something wrong, I am saying that the buyer didn't take due diligence.

I have never bought anything without sending the seller my address in both a message, and in the PayPal notes. Did the buyer really just send you the payment without any other communication?

BTW I hope this doesn't sound like you did something wrong, I am saying that the buyer didn't take due diligence.

He sent me payment, then I sent him a photo of the mailing receipt. The next day he noticed it was sent to his past address from 2 years ago because he didn't live in that city any longer. He said he's ordered several things through PayPal and its all shipped to his new address on file at PayPal until this one. After reading some posts here I do believe its a paypal screw up. But good luck getting them to admit that one. :(

Thanks for the replies. I want to do the right thing, but I don't feel I should be on the hook for all of the money. :( I will wait a few more days then figure it out. Hopefully it will show up in tracking soon.

G2M

You were offered protection against this type of situation. You chose not to take it. Next time, insure what you are sending for the full replacement value.

Lesson learned the hard way, but lesson learned indeed.

No

Refund bro yet, its probably sitting at the usps waiting for pick up, like 10 business days, if they don't pick it up, than it comes back to you, tell him he only gets a refund when you get the package back, another thing is this about 6 months ago, i sold a CZ20 to a forum member, the forum member received the package , but the delivery was NEVER confirmed and i paid extra for signature delivery conformation :shock:, if it wasn't for the forum member confirming that he got it through PM, it would have been lost because of usps negligence, remember this NOW i use usps as a last resort, UPS & Fedex are better for peace of mind, might cost more , but worth it, keep tracking & calling, Earl

He sent me payment, then I sent him a photo of the mailing receipt. The next day he noticed it was sent to his past address from 2 years ago because he didn't live in that city any longer. He said he's ordered several things through PayPal and its all shipped to his new address on file at PayPal until this one. After reading some posts here I do believe its a paypal screw up. But good luck getting them to admit that one. :(

Sounds like the buyer is being cooperative and cool with this, is he?

Paypal will side with the buyer.
I got the shaft about 4 years ago as the seller.
Sold my original 68 Mustang rims to a guy in CA,
He gets them and says they are the wrong size.:roll:

I said ship them back and I will give you full refund.
He did not want to pay return shipping, but wanted full refund.
Paypal said he should get full refund and get to keep them!!!:shock::shock:
I even offered to pay half of the return freight, no dice.

I contested this for several weeks, then told them where to go.
I cannot use PayPal any more:mad:

Paypal will side with the buyer.
I got the shaft about 4 years ago as the seller.
Sold my original 68 Mustang rims to a guy in CA,
He gets them and says they are the wrong size.:roll:

I said ship them back and I will give you full refund.
He did not want to pay return shipping, but wanted full refund.
Paypal said he should get full refund and get to keep them!!!:shock::shock:
I even offered to pay half of the return freight, no dice.

I contested this for several weeks, then told them where to go.
I cannot use PayPal any more:mad:

Holy cow! I will be thinking twice about using PayPal, thanks.

Oh by the way grammar police, you messed up, here's what should of been said;

PayPal will side with the buyer. I got the shaft about 4 years ago as the seller. Sold my original 68 Mustang rims to a guy in CA, He gets them and says they are the wrong size. I said ship them back and I will give you a full refund. He did not want to pay return shipping, but wanted a full refund. PayPal said he should get a full refund and get to keep them!!! I even offered to pay half of the return freight, no dice. I contested this for several weeks, then told them where to go. I cannot use PayPal anymore

Just messing with you! ;)

Back
Top Bottom