x-terra 705

paulz-ny

Forum Supporter
Whats the vdi for finding nickels? I love my 705 and have been finding some old deep silver and copper but nickels seem to alluding me. Are these machines not good at finding nickels? I hunt mostly schoolyards and parks so digging everything is not practical/appropriate. I've dug the 10-12 vdi numbers but its usually a pulltab or some other junk. I love the machine and finding nickels will not make it or break it for me but I just don't want to be missing them if I can help it.
Just a side note my previous detector was the very capable(minus the emi) omega 8000 and when I got a nickel signal it was 50/50 or better it was a nickel but with the 705 i'm a big 0 fer at finding a nickel. I cant even remember the last nickel I've found its probably been years no exaggerating

10-12 vdi is the same on my 705, I do dig a lot of pulltabs and don't always find nickles on every outing. I went out for an hour a while ago and found only one and the vdi was jumping around 8-10-12. I found 8 quarters, 6 dimes
and a whole mess of pennies one was a wheaty. Sometimes i'll come home with 6 or 7 nickles and the vdi 99% of the time is showing 12-10. So I believe your just not getting your coil over the nickles cause they are just not there. So Just keep on digging paulz-ny, eventually you will find those elusive rascals. HH

Not enough info, and too many variables to be able to answer your question.
What frequency, and what coil are you using?
What sort of GB numbers in the area you hunt?
Is GB Tracking ON or OFF?
Are you running any Tracking Offset?
What headphones are you using?

My 705 is a nickel killer if I set up for them. I typically dig over 200 nickels a year, and they are seldom my primary targets.

Not enough info, and too many variables to be able to answer your question.
What frequency, and what coil are you using?
What sort of GB numbers in the area you hunt?
Is GB Tracking ON or OFF?
Are you running any Tracking Offset?
What headphones are you using?

My 705 is a nickel killer if I set up for them. I typically dig over 200 nickels a year, and they are seldom my primary targets.
Longhair I use the 10.5 7.5 kHz and I do not use tracking,i manually ground balance the gb #'s are usually in the low to mid 30's. I generally coinshoot and nickels would not be primary target. However I just seem to never dig any. I usually offset the gb by a tick or two down. Also I have cheap sony headphones.
Again not knocking the 705 I actually love it and have had a lot of great success with it but never seem to dig any nickels. I was just curious if it was just me or am I doing something wrong. Thanks guys

Turn Tracking ON (there is no reason not to), and dig all solid 12's. If the ID jumps around or sounds anything but clean and consistent it's not likely a nickel. As large and thick as a nickel is, they tend to "sound like a coin", and audio rules!
Actually, you should dig all solid, not jumpy, clean, consistent sounding signals, at least until you can confirm what they are by audio before digging.

Get some better headphones, and learn to listen to the nuances of the tones, not just the pitch. Coins have a certain quality to their tone that junk targets seldom have.

Are you hunting in AM or DISC mode?
How many tones?

Turn Tracking ON (there is no reason not to), and dig all solid 12's. If the ID jumps around or sounds anything but clean and consistent it's not likely a nickel. As large and thick as a nickel is, they tend to "sound like a coin", and audio rules!
Actually, you should dig all solid, not jumpy, clean, consistent sounding signals, at least until you can confirm what they are by audio before digging.

Get some better headphones, and learn to listen to the nuances of the tones, not just the pitch. Coins have a certain quality to their tone that junk targets seldom have.

Are you hunting in AM or DISC mode?
How many tones?
I hunt in all metal all the time and 3 tone...I've tried going to 4 tone and 99 tone but I've been using 3 tone for so long(years) it just doesn't feel/sound right when I've tried switching.

You really should learn 99 tones. The additional audio information also includes tonal subtleties within responses that will help you differentiate good from bad.

You really should learn 99 tones. The additional audio information also includes tonal subtleties within responses that will help you differentiate good from bad.

I'm currently trying to get used to 99tones, I'm so used to 4 tones, have been using it for the last 8 years!

Back
Top Bottom