Newbie looking for advice on a $300- $400 unit

MountainMoose

Hello, I'm new to the world of detecting. A guy that I work with is an avid hunter and his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me and has sparked my interest in the hobby. I live in east KY and have a lot of old family homesteads that I could easily obtain permission to hunt upon.

I'm looking to purchase a unit with a budget of about $300-400. I don't plan on doing any underwater hunting, mostly just hillsides and the occasional stretch of flat land where I live.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may offer. I have to admit that I've been lurking on this forum for a few days and I really love the spirit and camaraderie all posters seem to share. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

Sent from my SM-N920R6 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, if you private message me your number, I'll give you a call and we can discuss some options that suit your needs.

WELCOME!!!

Any of the entry level detectors would be good...F2, Ace series, Bounty hunter, etc. The you need something to dig, a pinpointer, and a bag to carry your finds!

Garrett ACE 300 0r 400

Hello, I'm new to the world of detecting. A guy that I work with is an avid hunter and his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me and has sparked my interest in the hobby. I live in east KY and have a lot of old family homesteads that I could easily obtain permission to hunt upon.

I'm looking to purchase a unit with a budget of about $300-400. I don't plan on doing any underwater hunting, mostly just hillsides and the occasional stretch of flat land where I live.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may offer. I have to admit that I've been lurking on this forum for a few days and I really love the spirit and camaraderie all posters seem to share. Looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

If you get the Ace 300 you will have money left over for a pinpointer
The 400 has a larger coil and Iron audio
depending on your budget
Both would work out for your area
dennis

You have several good options to choose a new detector and even much more if you're not against a lower priced slightly used detector. Sometimes you can even find slightly used detectors for less than 1/2 the original cost - only used a few times. Many people don't immediately find that "million dollar gold nugget" they desire right away and lose interest. Their loss is our gain!

Welcome from Northern Ky...GO BIG BLUE!

Ok in addition to a detector you will need a pinpointer ($100-$125. A MUST buy! Trust me), digger ($10-$65), pouch, knee pads and gloves ($25-$50). So my advice to you is BUY USED!!! I have 8 machines and 6 of those I found on eBay, Craigslist or a pawnshop. Absolutely happy with all of them. Too many people jump into this hobby and buy too much machine and quickly become dissatisfied when they don't immediately find gold rings but do find LOTS of pull tabs.

Their loss is YOUR gain!

Now what to buy? There are a number of good beginner-intermediate machines. I bought 2 (NEW) Garrett Ace 250s when I started and they are great machines to learn with. Found a lot. And I still occasionally use them because they are FUN. In fact I'm helping a newbie get started and he took my advice and bought a (used) 250 and pinpointer and found a $20 gold coin his second time out.

Any way you go GOOD LUCK. ITS A GREAT HOBBY.

Good advice here. But I caution you that if you think you are going to really enjoy this hobby you might want to push your budget some and get a mid range unit. I started with an entry machine and within a year bought up. ATPro, T2 Classic, even the special priced F-75. Might save you money in the long run. I do agree that a pinpointer is a must. Just makes detecting a lot more enjoyable.

Welcome from Alabama.

Land Ranger Pro fits all your criteria, and sells around $250-275 online ( check the sponsors).

It can be a turn on and go machine, but has more advanced features than many machines costing twice the price. With the money left over, get a pinpointer, and other accessories. It is not waterproof, if that is a need. If not, it's the best bang for your buck.

Good luck and happy hunting.

My advice is to get a used machine with the $400, then $15 for a harbor freight pinpointer. You can sometimes get great deals on a DFX/CZ3d/Explorer at that price and they will totally blow away a $400 machine.

Detectors last a long time, so don't really have to worry about buying used. I've had 15 year old machines that still worked perfect. My V3i and TDI were both bought used.

What does your coworker use? Maybe he can show you what each feature on his machine does and you can go from there..?
Thanks for all the replies and advice, y'all. I really appreciate it. My coworker uses a White, but I'm not exactly sure what model it is.

In the area you live I'm guessing there may be civil war artifacts? A good combination machine would be a White's mxt. Used you can buy for about 300. They are excellent for coin jewelry, relic, and prospecting. Three different modes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Correct, civil war history has always been a passion of mine. I live about 2 miles from the location of a battlefield. The cool thing that I've learned from reasearch is that the location that is marked off as a state park commemorating the battle isn't actually where the battle was fought! The battle was actually fought elsewhere, which I've learned is private property. Fingers crossed that I can obtain permission to hunt once my detector arrives.

Back
Top Bottom