New member here, Ace 300 questions

CCW13

This is my first post to this forum....Hello, my wife and I want to get into metal detecting together. I've read some posts but figured I would ask here because I'm kind of in a hurry. She had surgery (shes going to be fine) but shes off work for 6 weeks and the doctor told her it would be fine for her to do walking and she would like to do some metal detecting while off. Ok enough of the introduction here is my question....

We are going to get two metal detectors, probably the same thing for each of us, unless someone recommends to not do that. We are looking for entry level as neither of us have much experience. We have a few hundred acres of farm land we would like to go over. I was looking at the Ace 250 and the Fisher F2 but then I saw on Garretts website that they have a new Ace 300 but I can't find much info about it. I tried searching here but it says no results found. Does anyone have one and how much better is it than the 250 and how does it compare to the F2? Are there some other models you recommend us checking out that will do a little bit of everything as far as finding different things? Thank you in advance, as you can see I don't have much time for research so I figured I would just ask here. I appreciate any input.

Have you tried YouTube? I bet there are tons of videos on the ace 300....I've never used one so I don't know anything about them. Other than the ace series is very popular and a lot of people use them and find pretty good things with them.

This is my first post to this forum....Hello, my wife and I want to get into metal detecting together. I've read some posts but figured I would ask here because I'm kind of in a hurry. She had surgery (shes going to be fine) but shes off work for 6 weeks and the doctor told her it would be fine for her to do walking and she would like to do some metal detecting while off. Ok enough of the introduction here is my question....

We are going to get two metal detectors, probably the same thing for each of us, unless someone recommends to not do that. We are looking for entry level as neither of us have much experience. We have a few hundred acres of farm land we would like to go over. I was looking at the Ace 250 and the Fisher F2 but then I saw on Garretts website that they have a new Ace 300 but I can't find much info about it. I tried searching here but it says no results found. Does anyone have one and how much better is it than the 250 and how does it compare to the F2? Are there some other models you recommend us checking out that will do a little bit of everything as far as finding different things? Thank you in advance, as you can see I don't have much time for research so I figured I would just ask here. I appreciate any input.

Hunting near each other with the same detector can cause crosstalk.
Interference noise if they are on the same frequency.
If you are not going to be right next to each other you should be ok.

Forget the 250...old technology with no VDI numbers on the screen and those numbers can be very helpful especially when you're just starting out.

The 300 has them plus some extra ability to control how you deal with iron and in some areas around farms might have a lot of iron.

I am biased towards the F2 because I used it for 3 years and found tons in all kinds of situations including farms and iron.
I spent $200 for the unit, got 2 coils and a bottom line but still useful handheld pinpointer and it paid me back tremendously...over 10X's that in coins, silver and gold among other stuff.
At around the $200 range you want to choose the 2 coil package because it includes an extremely helpful smaller sniper coil and that pinpointer.
In lots of trash and iron this small coil excels.

Fisher also has the F22 that is replacing this one eventually, the Euro Tek Pro is still popular and there are others but if you want snipers for any of them you will have to pay a decent price.
The F2 2 and 3 coil packages are complete and perfect for those starting out.

There are Tesoros like the Compadre at $160 and the silver at about $250 but no screens...audio only.
A very fun and productive way to hunt and I have always recommended that most get experience doing it this way because those skills will come in handy no matter what you end up with eventually however for newbies just starting out screens with VDI numbers and a good amount of helpful information on that screen just makes learning the basics faster and easier...IMO.

Maybe an F2 and that 300....then you can hunt nearer to each other, have at least one setup with a sniper coil, have that iron feature on one plus at least one pinpointer to share and see which brand you like better when compared.

Last edited:
Hunting near each other with the same detector can cause crosstalk.
Interference noise if they are on the same frequency.
If you are not going to be right next to each other you should be ok.

Forget the 250...old technology with no VDI numbers on the screen and those numbers can be very helpful especially when you're just starting out.

The 300 has them plus some extra ability to control how you deal with iron and in some areas around farms might have a lot of iron.

I am biased towards the F2 because I used it for 3 years and found tons in all kinds of situations including farms and iron.
I spent $200 for the unit, got 2 coils and a bottom line but still useful handheld pinpointer and it paid me back tremendously...over 10X's that in coins, silver and gold among other stuff.
At around the $200 range you want to choose the 2 coil package because it includes an extremely helpful smaller sniper coil and that pinpointer.
In lots of trash and iron this small coil excels.

Fisher also has the F22 that is replacing this one eventually, the Euro Tek Pro is still popular and there are others but if you want snipers for any of them you will have to pay a decent price.
The F2 2 and 3 coil packages are complete and perfect for those starting out.

Maybe an F2 and that 300....then you can hunt nearer to each other, have at least one setup with a sniper coil, have that iron feature on one plus at least one pinpointer to share and see which brand you like better when compared.

I'm glad I asked. I never thought about the interference. So the F22 is replacing the F2? Will that mean better deals on the F2? I'm going to check out the forum sponsors here. Thank you very much for your input. It was just what I was looking for.

I'm glad I asked. I never thought about the interference. So the F22 is replacing the F2? Will that mean better deals on the F2? I'm going to check out the forum sponsors here. Thank you very much for your input. It was just what I was looking for.

No, they are still selling them at regular prices while they last as they have always had very little wiggle room and markup in the entry level class.
Still, $200-215 is a bargain in those multiple coil packages that some dealers still have in stock and you still get a full 5 year warranty.

Call the sponsors here, talk to them in person as they all are skilled and helpful and might give you deals they cannot advertise legally, or maybe even some barely used units at a discount price because many take trade ins.
You are gonna need some diggers,maybe another pinpointer and they carry these things at higher quality levels.
A cheap digger from hardware stores might work at first, a cheap Harbor Freight pinpointer too and lots of us start out that way but break and replace a few and it can start to add up.
A quality digger or pinpointer lasts, do their jobs more efficiently and easier and have better value.

No, they are still selling them at regular prices while they last as they have always had very little wiggle room and markup in the entry level class.
Still, $200-215 is a bargain in those multiple coil packages that some dealers still have in stock and you still get a full 5 year warranty.

Call the sponsors here, talk to them in person as they all are skilled and helpful and might give you deals they cannot advertise legally, or maybe even some barely used units at a discount price because many take trade ins.
You are gonna need some diggers,maybe another pinpointer and they carry these things at higher quality levels.
A cheap digger from hardware stores might work at first, a cheap Harbor Freight pinpointer too and lots of us start out that way but break and replace a few and it can start to add up.
A quality digger or pinpointer lasts, do their jobs more efficiently and easier and have better value.

Thank you.....that's more solid advice.

I got to thinking, how long can you metal detect until it gets too cold or the ground is too hard to dig? Or do some of you do it year round? I don't know if I should buy now or wait until next year. Not sure how much time we will have to use them before it turns cold.

I got to thinking, how long can you metal detect until it gets too cold or the ground is too hard to dig? Or do some of you do it year round? I don't know if I should buy now or wait until next year. Not sure how much time we will have to use them before it turns cold.

Where do you live?
You might have to November, December or January depending on when the bad weather hits you if you are up north.
A few days of really cold weather starts freezing the soil in open areas, you have more time at sites protected from the wind by trees or buildings.
The soil in most woods sites are protected by the layer of fall leaves.
I can deal with some cold weather, really cold at freezing or below I hang it up and digging in frozen soil is not fun either.
Then you have the snow.
Some can deal with all of this well, I am a pansy so after a couple of frustrating wnter seasons sitting it out for weeks or even months I just moved to the south to avoid most of these problems.

Most cold and snowbound members live vicariously through the southern folk in the winter months to get by.
Honestly, I still went crazy.

You will find lots more posts and stuff happening around here in the winter months, plus a few crazier types show up then from time to time too.

Welcome from Lower Alabama :gottaluv:

Just a few notes: Digger is really sharp & knowledgeable, search some of his older posts, his information is Solid Gold!!

Second, The sponsors here are also Solid Gold, They will treat you right, Fair Pricing and fast shipping.

Also check the Classifieds, there's usually some great deals there if you know what you want.

For Diggers, get a Lesche or a Whites, strong, tough and works well.
Again, the Sponsors can help you with most any accessories you may need.

PM me and I will give you a list of the sponsors I have dealt with.

Dave

Welcome from Lower Alabama :gottaluv:

Just a few notes: Digger is really sharp & knowledgeable, search some of his older posts, his information is Solid Gold!!

Second, The sponsors here are also Solid Gold, They will treat you right, Fair Pricing and fast shipping.

Also check the Classifieds, there's usually some great deals there if you know what you want.

For Diggers, get a Lesche or a Whites, strong, tough and works well.
Again, the Sponsors can help you with most any accessories you may need.

PM me and I will give you a list of the sponsors I have dealt with.

Dave

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Where do you live?
You might have to November, December or January depending on when the bad weather hits you if you are up north.
A few days of really cold weather starts freezing the soil in open areas, you have more time at sites protected from the wind by trees or buildings.
The soil in most woods sites are protected by the layer of fall leaves.
I can deal with some cold weather, really cold at freezing or below I hang it up and digging in frozen soil is not fun either.
Then you have the snow.
Some can deal with all of this well, I am a pansy so after a couple of frustrating wnter seasons sitting it out for weeks or even months I just moved to the south to avoid most of these problems.

Most cold and snowbound members live vicariously through the southern folk in the winter months to get by.
Honestly, I still went crazy.

You will find lots more posts and stuff happening around here in the winter months, plus a few crazier types show up then from time to time too.

I live in Kentucky. I'm wondering how much use I'll get out of stuff before next year. Although, is this time of year when the best deals are? With winter coming on I'm sure business slows a little.

What Digger said about the 300. Supposed to be faster response than 250. If I had money and wanted to replace my ole faithful 250, I would probably opt for the 400.
Now for the opinionated part that always gets me in trouble :D, I love my 250 and have found that VDI #'s are worthless as far as reliability over just a segmented screen like the 250-in the long run. And just how advanced a technology do you need to find a coin 3-4"? Whatever you choose, the small sniper coil is a really worthwhile investment
Good luck with your search.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I live in Kentucky. I'm wondering how much use I'll get out of stuff before next year. Although, is this time of year when the best deals are? With winter coming on I'm sure business slows a little.

Deals?
Sometimes winter will have more but this business is not exactly like others in retail.
Competition is fierce all year long so markups are usually at the same discounted levels most of the time.
You do have specials pop up here and there.
Right now one of the best deals going is a close to top line F75 anniversary edition with many upgrades and features for $500 from the right dealer.
Used to be closer to $1000 for versions of this one.

Good deals in the used dept. from private owners most of the time all year, many add more at the end of the season.
Check out Mud-puppie's F70 in the classifieds with a choice of one of two nice coils and some extras for $450.

Pine3874 has an F70 with a great standard elliptical coil for about $350...a steal at this price but warranties don't transfer on many brands if you are into that.

As far as your winter weather you are going to be maybe a touch better but close to what I experienced in Kansas with your average winter temps at about the mid 20's so you still have a couple of months....more if you have a mild winter.
For a lot of us fall and spring are the very best times to hunt with comfortable temps and not having to deal with cold or the heat.
These are my favorite months for sure and we are almost to fall season with that oppressive heat finally beginning to go away.
A little more rain in the spring and fall around here too which helps with everything vs. desert dry conditions....getting better signals and digging too.
Most times in Kansas I could hunt into December, January had the cold weather for sure and sometimes I didn't get out until March again when it warmed up a bit and thawed out some.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. I ended up ordering a F22 and AT Pro. Those two should get us started. Oh I also got a pinpointer. Now the waiting begins.

And thank you Nectar for all the help and answering all my questions.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up ordering a F22 and AT Pro. Those two should get us started. Oh I also got a pinpointer. Now the waiting begins.

And thank you Nectar for all the help and answering all my questions.[/QUOTE
I think you'll love them- many good posts on them.

And thank you Nectar for all the help and answering all my questions.

Can't wait to see all of your finds!

Back
Top Bottom