Help with fencing wire

trash_digger

I was well, well, off the beaten path today, investigating a possible homesite that appeared on a 1940's topography map. I found some promising iron, but no signs of a structure ever being there (chimney, etc). I did find this fencing wire though, which makes me believe I am at least possibly close to something.

Can anyone tell me what type of wire that flat/twisted kind is, and what kind of date range it may have been used in? I am lead to believe that any structure located here would have been built there no later than the late 1800's, if that helps.

MOKqJOZ.jpg

XYBDEoi.jpg

Looks like standard wrapped wire fencing to me.

Not sure how you'd date that but it must have been there for a reason.

Oh totally missed the ribbon fencing...

It's more commonly known as "hog wire" fence, its for making hog pins or going around large areas to contain free range hogs.

Just a thought; If your looking for an old homestead, well off the beaten path, perhaps your overlooking signs,
sounds like your hunting in the woods?
People and livestock need water, a creek near?
Imagine fetching a pail of water for drinking/cooking/ washing/
Look for depressions in the forest floor, like the size of a small shed/ building. or the opposite small building sized humps, that could be decomposing remains of what was....
Look for cleared out areas, old cut tree stumps, logging roads, rock piles,
Check around large mature trees....
If you get signals around any of those, dig it ........
What you find may just show a time frame (old or new ) or be what your hopping to find.
Let us know with some pictures,

12" of snow here, I'm done till March :mad:

I agree with Dirt Dick. Also identify the vegetation surrounding the area. Things that look out of place like certain flowers or herbs. Any rock walls?

Back
Top Bottom