CTx3030 and finding relics

eculuke

I have had my CTX for 2 years now. I have found some good stuff. I use mainly downloaded programs. I have read the book by Andy. I'm starting to get discouraged as I feel like the settings I have are wrong for relics. I am hoping to get some insight on what others use. I have routinely missed flat buttons (which are my top favorite things to find) that ATPRO's and MXsports find. I was in a small yard that was loaded with flat buttons. I swung it very slow and dig 90% but the other two guys found several buttons and I found one. Now Im sure some of this is user error but I'm wondering if A. is this a good relic machine and is there a setting recommendation in terms of tone bins that a long term ctx user can recommend. I'm starting to lose faith.

Thanks!

I can't imagine not finding relics with your CTX. Thats all I find, well, almost. Oddles of coins too. I love Gone Hunting's combined program and CT Todds relic program (out of Andy's book). I Run mostly manual sens around 25, more if I can stand it and the ground is not too hot. Deep on, fast off, ground balance auto. Disc, mostly open screen. If I get on hot earth, jump over to Ground/coin.
You mention flat buttons, I've found many. Most ring up in the higher/coin range but I've had some hit as low as 12-15.
Are you finding coins, how deep? If you are, you should definitely be hitting on buttons, lead etc. Make sure your audio settings are correct, threshold etc. Is your technique the best? coil flat to ground,nice tight overlapping sweeps, swing speed fairly slow etc.
Makes no sense is all. To answer your question, CTX is a great relic machine. I have 50 musket balls and a dozen and a half flat buttons to prove it. Bronze buckles, musket parts, silver you name it. Just not doing something right, it's not the machine. I'd recommend a test garden to see what it is.

Eculuke,

Describe the sites where you and your buds are a hunting.
A lot of iron?
A lot of nails?

The combine mode with say 25 manual sens open screen for disc should find flat buttons.
Deep off, fast on. Ferrous coin or ground coin process.

Remember the conductivity can vary, so depending on how your tone bins are set, the buttons, some of them can sound different.

Now your speed of hunting, actually covering ground might be slower than your buds.l
And could be a contributing factor.

Deep fringe targets will give a flicker on the CTX tone wise, with cursor jumping around everywhere.
I have had small musket balls and deeper buttons to do this with CTX.

And you probably already know this,,fbs units like the coil very very close to the ground, even scrubbing to eek out some deeper finds or smaller.

Last edited:
The site didn't have that much iron....I would scan a button when they found it and it would give off barely a blip...Im almost sure its the program. I need to run open screen but the tones are so close for mid tones and iron. I need to change the tons so they are more distinct.

The site didn't have that much iron....I would scan a button when they found it and it would give off barely a blip...Im almost sure its the program. I need to run open screen but the tones are so close for mid tones and iron. I need to change the tons so they are more distinct.

I'll bet you were running auto sensitivity.
Lower conductive targets especially thinner than coins, manual sensitivity 22 plus, or around 25-27 will sniff them out better.

I have seen this while over targets in the wild, when Inwould actually find and change sens,, sure enough I witnessed many times.

So always run Manual Sensitivity over manual. I thought if it was at 22 auto that it was the same as 22 manual

So always run Manual Sensitivity over manual. I thought if it was at 22 auto that it was the same as 22 manual

That is a big no.

Whatever your CTX says it is sensitivity wise in auto say plus 3, you will see a sens number pop up.
Like for example 27.
This number 27 represents some thing different vs seeing the number 27 shown when MANUAL sensitivity is selected.
When you go to manual sensitivity and select a level like 25, this puts all channels to 25.
Stronger in detecting, especially depth.

Let me pull up the manual, it details what Inam saying here.

This is Etrac manual, but does explain.
See page 54.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4065/4901-0065-1.3 Instruction Manual E-Trac_Screen.pdf

If by chance you have the CTX 3030 handbook authored by Mr Sabisch you can refer to pages 91-93 for details and explanation.

Last edited:
Eculuke,
You need to check your gain setting too.
This will depending on target depth make target sound louder or quieter.
I keep mine up high.

I figure as good as the CTX IDs, I'll let the ID drive my dig decision, not loudness of tone.

what number do you usually keep your volume gain to? I had it set at 30....the book says that might not be optimal

I was reading good things about CT Todds Relic program. Can that be downloaded. I see the settings in the book. Can those only be modified from the xchange software?

I was reading good things about CT Todds Relic program. Can that be downloaded. I see the settings in the book. Can those only be modified from the xchange software?

As far as I know, you have 2 choices.
Use the exchange along with computer.
Or just use the detector to load.
The latter is more difficult.

I do do occassionally.

As TNSS says, just write it in exchange and upload to machine. Certainly the easiest way.
On relics and deeper coins, you're not always going to get those nice crisp/stable hits. I've found musket balls, flat buttons and even deeper silver and LC's often give a questionable/iffy signal. Now however, I know that's the case and dig it.
As I said, bury a couple relics, coins and check your set up when you're finished setting it up. It'll give you the confidence in what you're doing. Get your tone bins set up right as well. Don't have the numbers at hand right now but....iron should be set to sound like you thumped your shoe on the floor and the sweet zone (coins, buttons etc) should sound like you stuck a weasel with a soldering iron. Do watch some of the mine lab you tube videos, there are a couple that may help you out. Bottom line, don't get frustrated, set up correctly, the CTX is a great machine for relics. And read everything that TNSS writes about it.

Another suggestion.

Select long tone.
This will help with hearing tone better.
Now to be fair it is possible when hunting in areas where site is iron ridden, long tone may not be the best choice.

I used to do well using Etrac and long tone.
On buttons and smaller musket balls.

UPDATE: So I tried CT todds relic settings today and had Better luck!
2043bdfe1da0bb7aef604a430836998c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todds program for the ctx is great. I know this is off topic but if you like finding buttons you should have a go with the deus it loves round objects. You can look at my youtube channel (calabash digger) and watch it blast flat buttons and military buttons. Me and my partner find a ton of military and flat buttons with it those are our favorite finds too. hh

Back
Top Bottom