My first jukebox quarter.

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
Yeah, I didn't know what they were either until I found one this morning. I only looked it up because the paint that is still on the coin is still very hard and shiny. The coin is 1971. I wondered why anybody would take the time to do that. I found out bar owners would put painted quarters in the jukeboxes to get the music going, and the vendor would know how many quarters the bar owner put in the jukebox, for reimbursement.

Attachments

• 20180420_154005-540x540.jpg
    20180420_154005-540x540.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 20180420_154015-540x540.jpg
    20180420_154015-540x540.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,613
Yeah, I didn't know what they were either until I found one this morning. I only looked it up because the paint that is still on the coin is still very hard and shiny. The coin is 1971. I wondered why anybody would take the time to do that. I found out bar owners would put painted quarters in the jukeboxes to get the music going, and the vendor would know how many quarters the bar owner put in the jukebox, for reimbursement.

They also did that with pinball machines. If a patron would tell the cashier at places with pinball machines they lost one, they would get a painted quarter to show the owner of the machine it belonged to the establishment.

They used them back in the day on the quarter shovel machines at carnivals. The painted ones would be worth prizes. I used to be addicted to that $&@* game.

BCD

I found a painted memorial penny last year, did they do that with pennies?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Video arcade coin

They also did that with pinball machines. If a patron would tell the cashier at places with pinball machines they lost one, they would get a painted quarter to show the owner of the machine it belonged to the establishment.

I owned part of a video arcade in the old days , we gave out red ones if some one said the machine ate their money. We had a vendor that owned the machines and did a split of the income . Red coin were returned to a box by the register this is back when machines still took real quarters.:laughing:

Back when we managed apartments, we used painted quarters in the laundry. The service that emptied the washers and dryers would return the painted quarters to us to re-use. We used fingernail polish and it was my job to refresh the paint every now and then.
Sage(Quarterback Sneak)Grouse

I found out bar owners would put painted quarters in the jukeboxes to get the music going, and the vendor would know how many quarters the bar owner put in the jukebox, for reimbursement.
Thanks for sharing. I have a half dozen of them and always wondered too!

I've seen painted ones in circulation and never knew why until now, learn something new every day.
Ive pulled them from bags of 90% silver and always wondered why they were painted

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was just thinking about those painted quarters today, and found your post. I remember the bartender would give them to us to use on the pool table when it didn't give us all the balls.
I found one while detecting about 5 years ago, and knew right away it was one of those in-house quarters. Still have it, so I dug it out and snapped a photo: Mine is red on both sides.

Attachments

• DSCN7230.jpg
    DSCN7230.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 857
Back
Top Bottom