My Civil War field hunt bullets

BlackRain

Elite Member
Got only my second opportunity to hunt a certified Civil War area, and man did it pay off! This is a great testament to the power of the Deus. An old timer and the landowner both told us we were basically wasting our time and that this field had been detected for 40 plus years, 4 of the bullets were carved also. I can't say enough about how happy I was.
3fc21f5f8bf8fad875e4f267fcdb4d14.jpg
82c8564b8f1c272386c467cfed75ca13.jpg
da9565dc88ed454ab8a9808b34e8934b.jpg
974cc5493b599445c52220015b5271d8.jpg
b842af8d8be42c83a91f6cad6f68dbb2.jpg
dd4197e69f35ba380441db9b7c244420.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also the buttons were my first ever civil war buttons. Found four plus a cuff link and a few backs with no fronts [emoji57]

That is a great site..
I have a question for all you civil war hunters..

Why do you think so many bullets are in such good shape? I would expect them to be misshaped or flattened. Do they just miss their targets and eventually drop somewhere or shot into the ground or are they just dropped?

That is a great site..
I have a question for all you civil war hunters..

Why do you think so many bullets are in such good shape? I would expect them to be misshaped or flattened. Do they just miss their targets and eventually drop somewhere or shot into the ground or are they just dropped?
Several are dropped when in the heat of battle, also they are lost just like coins. Fall out of pouch or pockets.

Some are "Drops" and some landed in dirt softer than lead after being fired. I've found them splattered and others that look like new.

One more thing to remember is that ordinary citizens, farmers, hunters, also hunted with the same types of rifles that were used during the war. If buttons, camp lead, batwings, glass, and other CW military items are also found you've run across either a camp or a skirmish area that was likely not documented in the OR's.

The larger part of local groups organized in Arkansas and other rural Southern states were actually local militia's using squirrel guns, shotguns, pistols, you name it, to protect citizens. They had no uniforms, and were not very organized unless they joined up with an actual Confederate/Yankee group supported by war money.

I digress, cool finds...

Back
Top Bottom