Talk about a Blowout!

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Well, some of you know Lake Mich is up and angry...She rared up and peeled some sand earlier this week...When I say peeled sand, I mean to tell you...that 'deck' there in the pic is at the bottom of the stairs and is supposed to be at beach level with a gentle slope out 30yards to the water...!.....

The water edge is 6-10' below normal grade...I've been hunting this place for years and I aint never seen NOTHING like this before...!

There was no scrap or light finds at all, nothing wonderful either..I figured at least some old silvers or gold...I got one wheat penny in this mess...

I figured y'all might like to see this, since none of us here hunting West Mich ever have seen such a blowout...Thats our Friendly Forum Brothers!.. From left to right, The big woolly bear Santa Clause Dan Haggerty Grandpa Walton looking SOB is the ugly half of the Treasure2Some, then, that Eddie Haskel looking summa b is the Sturrat, who never wears a hat no matter how cold it is... and then theres some fat drunken old bum in the checkitty ast shirt who photobombed them in the parking lot while I was trying to take their picture!...

He lives up in a hole he dug in the dunes and in really bad weather will spend a night or two curled up in the plastic portashidder in the parking lot. He survives off of selling towels and redeeming empty beer cans, eating roadkill, panhandling tourists, metal detecting a little... etc....:laughing:

...We felt sorry for him! I mean damn! He is not a threat to us! Just lookat his gear? Some sorta scoop he made out of an ice scoop he stole out of the Hampton Inn ice machine and a shovel handle? Some sorta chopped up garage sale single freak rig? Cotton nail apron? Digger Please! Plus, Who in their right mind wears checks with khakis? Not after Labor day? The Poor btard dont even have a set of waterproof gauntlets let alone waders! Oh well...we paid him a dollar to keep an eye on our cars while we hunted and gave him all our clad on the way out..Poor little guy....Now that all that sand is gone, he could build himself a nice little house up under that stairwell and deck! Beachfront! :laughing:

Attachments

• bronson-2.jpg
    bronson-2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 855
  • bronson-1.jpg
    bronson-1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 854
  • bronson.jpg
    bronson.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 858
  • bronson-3.jpg
    bronson-3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:
Man I thought this was going to be about baby diapers or undergarments ... :laughing:

Looks like a fun time Mud! I hope to get out tomorrow morning to the SoCal beach here where I’m visiting family.... been way too long.

Love it when the water drops to the Neg! And looks like a Good one you guys had! Wow!

We had the same the last two days, NW winds blowing all of the water out of the bay. I would post a picture but can't give away the spots...:no:

Stu couldn't post with his scoop facing forward? Is he a rebel without a gold? :lol:

Well, some of you know Lake Mich is up and angry...She rared up and peeled some sand earlier this week...When I say peeled sand, I mean to tell you...that 'deck' there in the pic is at the bottom of the stairs and is supposed to be at beach level with a gentle slope out 30yards to the water...!.....

The water edge is 6-10' below normal grade...I've been hunting this place for years and I aint never seen NOTHING like this before...!

There was no scrap or light finds at all, nothing wonderful either..I figured at least some old silvers or gold...I got one wheat penny in this mess...

I figured y'all might like to see this, since none of us here hunting West Mich ever have seen such a blowout...Thats our Friendly Forum Brothers!.. From left to right, The big woolly bear Santa Clause Dan Haggerty Grandpa Walton looking SOB is the ugly half of the Treasure2Some, then, that Eddie Haskel looking summa b is the Sturrat, who never wears a hat no matter how cold it is... and then theres some fat drunken old bum in the checkitty ast shirt who photobombed them in the parking lot while I was trying to take their picture!...

He lives up in a hole he dug in the dunes and in really bad weather will spend a night or two curled up in the plastic portashidder in the parking lot. He survives off of selling towels and redeeming empty beer cans, eating roadkill, panhandling tourists, metal detecting a little... etc....:laughing:

...We felt sorry for him! I mean damn! He is not a threat to us! Just lookat his gear? Some sorta scoop he made out of an ice scoop he stole out of the Hampton Inn ice machine and a shovel handle? Some sorta chopped up garage sale single freak rig? Cotton nail apron? Digger Please! Plus, Who in their right mind wears checks with khakis? Not after Labor day? The Poor btard dont even have a set of waterproof gauntlets let alone waders! Oh well...we paid him a dollar to keep an eye on our cars while we hunted and gave him all our clad on the way out..Poor little guy....Now that all that sand is gone, he could build himself a nice little house up under that stairwell and deck! Beachfront! :laughing:

Ha! Thanks for the laugh mud. I've missed your posts, top notch stuff :) Wild bunch up in Michigan

Isn't that guy on the left really Tony Beets from Gold Rush ?

and then theres some fat drunken old bum in the checkitty ast shirt who photobombed them in the parking lot while I was trying to take their picture!...:laughing:

MUD?! WHAT THE H?! All those details you posted about him like he's a long-lost college drinkin' buddy, and you couldn't even get his name? It's not like he was streakin' through the photo-bomb. Sure looks like he at least stopped long enough to be in focus.
You must have a problem talkin' to folks.....maybe it's a personality trait around actually being face-to-face with others, 'cause you can sure bang out a yarn with your typewriter.;):laughing:

Roger

The reason you guys didn't find much was because you weren't out far enough. I thought you were water hunters ? Your in ankle deep. What did you expect ? Get the hell out there... chest to neck deep...cmon....

Good pix, good post. You deserved at least 3 east-coast LC's for all that effort ! :laughing:

Fun hunt. Too bad we didn’t get the gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank Fellas...I just got back from the coast, worked a few beaches and big massive cuts at preSun-up...Theres No gold in West Michigan!...

One Pro tip if you will...you need to be very careful on the approach to these big straight drops...they can slump off at any moment, either dropping you down from the top, or burying you at the bottom......

Also, that 'NEG' tide can turn in an instant and have a guy trapped up against the wall in 5' of cold water...Its a Great Lake Phenomenon called a 'Seiche'..Its similar to a Tidal Wave.....In 1929 one came in on the 4th of July and swept the beach....killed 10 people...google it...

Sturrat was out hunting one day when a Seiche came in...

A guy needs a good scoop to quickly chop out escape stairsteps on these high banks...A guy sees the evidence of Seiches coming in in the middle of the night sweeping the beach clear of all tracks for quite a way inland........A Guy can see how far up the beach they can go and rightly fears them and gets to know the signs of one setting up like today..Flat Lake, East wind pushing all that water over to Wisconsin, once it lets go...it all comes rushing back all at once...

A guy hunting in the water or ankle deep would be 8' under in no time....This Big Lake likes to kill people, likes to lure us out looking all peaceful...She dont like giving up Her Gold...She hides it in the black sand and surf.....

A few days a year an attentive suitor can get up under her skirt though...Everybody that Hunts Her Hates Her and Loves Her!....:laughing:.

Attachments

• cross2.jpg
    cross2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 591
  • apr 11-16.jpg
    apr 11-16.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 593
  • jul 11-17-2.jpg
    jul 11-17-2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 596
  • me oct.jpg
    me oct.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 587
  • may 20-15.jpg
    may 20-15.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 595
  • sept 8 13-3.jpg
    sept 8 13-3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 586
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 579
  • Sept 8 13.jpg
    Sept 8 13.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 609
  • bracelet oct 20.jpg
    bracelet oct 20.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 619
  • sept 1314-1.jpg
    sept 1314-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Great pictures Mud ! Wow , a Golden retriever wearing headphones , you don't see that every day .

Besides looking like a Golden retriever and a Dachshund.... In their Human form, My Hunting Buds do sorta do look like Tony Beets and Parker Schnauble! They sure have a nose for gold!

Unfortunately in this Sport, I pretty much resemble Todd Hoffman or a French Bulldog or a neutered toy Poodle...primarily in my gold finding ability and especially from astern, Not for lack of commitment or trying, but I tend to talk a lot and my mouth commonly writes checks my @ss cant cash! Maybe I'm a Pekinese? I dont know...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom