Shipping Cost With Sampson Shovel Orders

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
A buddy of mine is just starting the hobby. He has an Equinox 600 coming, and he sent me a finding he made for a Sampson 31" shovel at $55, but the shipping runs over $16 bucks!

Please PM me is there is a seller who doesn't low-ball, but then, stack on extra shipping, to balance back to sellers asking more for retail, but without the jacked up shipping. GRRRRRR!

Thanks

A buddy of mine is just starting the hobby. He has an Equinox 600 coming, and he sent me a finding he made for a Sampson 31" shovel at $55, but the shipping runs over $16 bucks!

Please PM me is there is a seller who doesn't low-ball, but then, stack on extra shipping, to balance back to sellers asking more for retail, but without the jacked up shipping. GRRRRRR!

Thanks

Amazon with prime shipping...

Amazon with prime shipping...

That is usually good, but please find me a link on Amazon where they DO NOT jack the retail cost up another $20 to begin with. Colonial at least gives an upfront price of $55, so they beat Amazon/free shipping, at Amazon's $75!

You see where I am coming from?

That is usually good, but please find me a link on Amazon where they DO NOT jack the retail cost up another $20 to begin with. Colonial at least gives an upfront price of $55, so they beat Amazon/free shipping, at Amazon's $75!

Here is the lowest price I found on Amazon as of right now ($64.29) -

https://www.amazon.com/Lesche-Sampson-T-Handle-Detecting-Gardening/dp/B00BZWEKI0/ref=sr_1_3

(Not $55, but still a total that is still $6.71 cheaper than the $55 + $16 shipping)

(Note: I have seen prices on an item change the same day so be aware it may or may not be at that price when you check it)

$16 to ship a shovel doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

It's the principal. Higher priced sellers, advertising free shipping, but with a higher retail price to actually make the cost equal in the end. I just don't like being baited into a low-ball or a high-ball with so-called free shipping. I ain't no dummy

You have to shop around. E-bay or Amazon. Sometimes, I shop for weeks before finding a deal I want. That's half the fun.

It's the principal. Higher priced sellers, advertising free shipping, but with a higher retail price to actually make the cost equal in the end. I just don't like being baited into a low-ball or a high-ball with so-called free shipping. I ain't no dummy

I think the guy who is selling for $55 is just being honest and showing you his price, plus the actually shipping cost. As someone who ships stuff all the time, I agree with Stiffwrists.. $16 shipping for a 32" shovel isn't unreasonable IMHO. At the end of the day, $65-$70 (including shipping) seems to be the going rate for these shovels. Pick your poison.

Well, the 31" non-serrated and single side serrated are $64 and $65 respectively on Amazon which is acceptable in my book especially since it will arrive in 2 days. If he wants to save a money he could always get a $10 harbor freight shovel to start with, or hit up a forum sponsor directly to see if they can work with you on the shipping.

Well, the 31" non-serrated and single side serrated are $64 and $65 respectively on Amazon which is acceptable in my book especially since it will arrive in 2 days. If he wants to save a money he could always get a $10 harbor freight shovel to start with, or hit up a forum sponsor directly to see if they can work with you on the shipping.

I think my friend made a dood decision. He's decided to skip the pricey Lesche shovels and use the available Home Depot and Walmart shovels, until he actually knows he will even like metal detecting.

All this free shipping being thrown to about anything being offered, $16 shipping on a $55 item just feels steep. No biggie.

I'm sure we all likely realize even with "free shipping" the seller still has to charge enough for their product to make a reasonable profit after all expenses are figured in.

As far as those who do list a shipping charge I guess to really know if the shipping charge is fair on any particular item is to check the shipper's web site itself, whether it's UPS, Fed-Ex, USPS, or some other carrier.

Factors that can effect the shipping charge include not only the weight, but also the size of the package, the distance being shipped, the speed of shipping like economy ground shipping or express shipping. Different factors can effect the ultimate cost of the shipping charges.

Shipping charges should be just that, only the actual cost of shipping the shipping company requires. Very occasionally you might find a place that charges "shipping and handling" charges that include what they add for the time and cost of packaging the product for shipping.

As much as I like the convenience of ordering online and having it shipped (especially being in a small town with no big stores close by) very occasionally we'll make the 20-25 mile trip (one way) to buy something at a store if it means a reasonably significant savings over the total cost of buying it online. (of course sometimes it might be an item simply not available at any stores we would travel to)

I bet you could leave a message next time you buy one, "Put the shipping tag on the body of the shovel, NO BOX PLEASE. What could hurt a shovel during shipping? LOL

I'm with Stiffwrists and Rattlehead on this one. Then there's your buddy's first offer which is still below the Amazon price of $75. With Prime, you're going to spend a couple extra bucks in some cases, but your digging in the next day or so from your order. I'm not aware of anyone else having the ability to deliver that quickly without some huge surcharge.

I agree that 16 bucks shipping seems high but go to the post office and you will find that is about what the post office charges. Some one is going to pay the shipping and on a relatively cheap item the seller can not afford to absorb the cost of shipping.

I always buy items on eBay based on the total cost. I ignore that "free shipping" nonsense. Only a fool would think that a seller would eat the cost of shipping. Buyers pay for shipping, as well as the bubble wrap, boxes and tape the seller uses to get your item there safe and secure. A seller wouldn't be in business very long if he lost money on shipping and packing materials.

I bought my 18” mini Sampson for 65$ shipped from amazon and had it 2 days later... worth it because I bet that 16$ is 5-7 business days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody found a source for the 40" Lesche shovel.
I know a guy who has one, but forgot where he got it.

Back
Top Bottom