How Important are Headphones?

I would never hunt with anyone not using headphones. I don't want to hear your beeps and I don't want the attention from other people. By the way put that pinpointer on vibrate. I dont want to hear that either. I think it is very rude and should be in the code of ethics. They should stop making detectors with speakers. Considering most now have wireless connections.

Then be rude. By the way the code of ethics was set up to preserve the hobby. Things like closing gates.....asking permission......filling holes........All mentioned to tell the naturally rude people to think twice. Have a nice day.

Its pretty tough to hunt in the heat with headphones.:coolinoff:

The public "noise factor" with the beeps, won't stop me from metal detecting in public, if I've left my HPs home. The public themselves pollute the air with all kinds of electronic and human sounds anyway.

I have run without phones several times, and the summer heat in Texas has caused that a few times. with that level of heat, the public isn't usually in force anyway.

I will beep-beep-beep without phones. That part of the COE in metal detecting is over blown IMPO. Who cares?

I will distance myself from my hunt buddies if I am not alone though. They have their HPs so it doesn't take much distance. I do show them respect.

Metal detecting on public lands is not a right. When you see signs saying no detecting allowed it is over. Beep beep on that. You just ruined it for everyone in the town. People dont want to hear your detector machine gunning through iron while trying to relax with family. If i was there you would be told. To the origional question of the thread.......they are very important.

People make noise that is true....but you have a responsibility to the hobby. That kid on the beach is digging a hole to China......guess what? WE ALL STILL FILL OUR HOLES.

Your personal opinion about which code of ethics you follow and which ones you do not will not win you friends in the hobby. It only shows your personal pettiness.

Not a right? I've been confronted by police due to somebody calling about an old man wandering around a school ground, and when they saw what I was doing they stated TWICE, "What you are doing is not illegal, have a good day." They've even suggested other public spots to try.

This will certainly "get you going"...I am carrying my 31" Sampson shovel as well upon being approached. Even have an open plug at times, but neat.

I mostly hunt by myself anyway. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

around old houses for fear of not hearing rattle snakes but i could use them other places and other times if they are really needed?
thanks in advance,
travis

Good Lord!...Theres like only 3 people killed in this Country every year by rattlesnakes! Most were in Church at the time, winging them around like a News Year Eve Chinese Chattertoy! Dont blame Rattlesnakes for that!

So if you were a water Gold Hunter, you would be saying, "Hey, What shark mesh waders do y'all recommend?" "I live in Iowa, but still, I dont want to be gobbled up by a Bullshark!" That would make a lot more sense than your fear of rattlesnakes!

Or a guy Hunting up in Canada? "Hey, I want to know what aftershave or cologne to avoid wearing in Bigfoot Country, so as not to get my coal chute accidentally reamed by a Rocky mountain skunk ape, or attract the unwanted advances of a Polar Bear, or get royally rammed in the rumpus by a Narwhal? Or get my clam slammed damnably by a pack of Hangry Walruses!

In fact, depending upon who you ask, most Rattlesnakes are more ascared than us than we are of them..like I said, depending on who you ask..the Snake or the Human!

I agree on your initial concept, "this is a Dangerous Planet for Humans, a guy has got to hear what might be sneaking up on him".......snakes are the least of our worries though...A guy I know up here got killed by a mosquito bite, another from a tick bite, another got killed by hitting a deer on his way to work, another got shot dead by his Wife...so hey, lets put this all in perspective!

Nobody ever got killed by hitting a rattlesnake on their way to work that I know of, so the safest thing for you to do would be quit going to church...if rattlesnakes are your Primary Death concern... ! :laughing:

I wear headphones alla the damned time...mainly to block out the dangerous World sounds and find a bit of peace while I hunt for pulltabs and pennies...Also, this may help you...It seems Bigfoots intent on buggering Metal detectorists prefer "Pernaud Clubman" Aftershave over Olde Spice or Axe....its available at Walgreens in case you would ever like to meet a Bigfoot...

I dont know what the hell scent Rattlesnakes prefer? Maybe something that smells like a mouse? Something from Disney World? Or the deli Counter discount section?

Cant help you here...I got Narwhal, Bullsharks and Polar bears and deer to be worrying about...and of course the Wife, who likes that 'Pernaud Clubman'..Even though I am at great risk to the Buggering Bigfoots, it gentles her up I have found, and I'm more ascared of Her than I am of them!....

Last edited:
Not a right? I've been confronted by police due to somebody calling about an old man wandering around a school ground, and when they saw what I was doing they stated TWICE, "What you are doing is not illegal, have a good day." They've even suggested other public spots to try.

This will certainly "get you going"...I am carrying my 31" Sampson shovel as well upon being approached. Even have an open plug at times, but neat.

I mostly hunt by myself anyway. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I don't have a problem at all with the Sampson. They dig nicer holes. But just remember one thing about the laws. They change with one council meeting.

I use them for these reasons:

1. a little hearing lost in one ear, cannot hear higher freqs like I should.
2. blockout outher noises, leaf blowers, traffic nearby, river or surf noises.
3. get good wireless with little lag or latency if possible.
4.don't really need them in volley ball courts or totlots because most signals are strong and not deep.
5. must have for coins and relic hunting and beach hunting,

just my opinion

Beach hunting they are mandatory. You won't hear a thing without them.

Here’s a guy with his head screwed on straight!

:laughing:
Good Lord!...Theres like only 3 people killed in this Country every year by rattlesnakes! Most were in Church at the time, winging them around like a News Year Eve Chinese Chattertoy! Dont blame Rattlesnakes for that!

So if you were a water Gold Hunter, you would be saying, "Hey, What shark mesh waders do y'all recommend?" "I live in Iowa, but still, I dont want to be gobbled up by a Bullshark!" That would make a lot more sense than your fear of rattlesnakes!

Or a guy Hunting up in Canada? "Hey, I want to know what aftershave or cologne to avoid wearing in Bigfoot Country, so as not to get my coal chute accidentally reamed by a Rocky mountain skunk ape, or attract the unwanted advances of a Polar Bear, or get royally rammed in the rumpus by a Narwhal? Or get my clam slammed damnably by a pack of Hangry Walruses

In fact, depending upon who you ask, most Rattlesnakes are more ascared than us than we are of them..like I said, depending on who you ask..the Snake or the Human!

I agree on your initial concept, "this is a Dangerous Planet for Humans, a guy has got to hear what might be sneaking up on him".......snakes are the least of our worries though...A guy I know up here got killed by a mosquito bite, another from a tick bite, another got killed by hitting a deer on his way to work, another got shot dead by his Wife...so hey, lets put this all in perspective!

Nobody ever got killed by hitting a rattlesnake on their way to work that I know of, so the safest thing for you to do would be quit going to church...if rattlesnakes are your Primary Death concern... ! :laughing:

I wear headphones alla the damned time...mainly to block out the dangerous World sounds and find a bit of peace while I hunt for pulltabs and pennies...Also, this may help you...It seems Bigfoots intent on buggering Metal detectorists prefer "Pernaud Clubman" Aftershave over Olde Spice or Axe....its available at Walgreens in case you would ever like to meet a Bigfoot...

I dont know what the hell scent Rattlesnakes prefer? Maybe something that smells like a mouse? Something from Disney World? Or the deli Counter discount section?

Cant help you here...I got Narwhal, Bullsharks and Polar bears and deer to be worrying about...and of course the Wife, who likes that 'Pernaud Clubman'..Even though I am at great risk to the Buggering Bigfoots, it gentles her up I have found, and I'm more ascared of Her than I am of them!....

I just got the garrett zlynk with the wireless headphones from my lovely wife for Christmas! I dont know how I got along without them. Headphones keep curious onlookers away. They let you hear in what I call layers. Shallow junk deep junk and the good stuff in the middle. Spend alot of time with your machine and listen. Dig everything and after awhile you will know what is trash and what is treasure. I'm still fooled by those pesky aluminum bottle caps. They sound great with good VDI. Pull tabs also.
Get some headphones and just listen to the music of the dirt

I have never used earphones since I started metal detecting. I paired up my phones and am ready to try my Nox 800 with the wireless phones. I will find out if it helps ?? I have done well without using phones, so I decided to try as soon as my weather and ground allow for hunting. Snow on the way tonight and ground is frozen. GL & HH to all.

I just got the garrett zlynk with the wireless headphones from my lovely wife for Christmas! I dont know how I got along without them. Headphones keep curious onlookers away. They let you hear in what I call layers. Shallow junk deep junk and the good stuff in the middle. Spend alot of time with your machine and listen. Dig everything and after awhile you will know what is trash and what is treasure. I'm still fooled by those pesky aluminum bottle caps. They sound great with good VDI. Pull tabs also.
Get some headphones and just listen to the music of the dirt

I bought my AT Pro gently used with a brand new Zlynk wireless kit. The seller had a problem with the receiver not keeping a charge, Garrett replaced the entire kit, and the seller never used the replacement other than to charge it. I figured I would sell the wireless kit to offset the cost of the detector, but I gave it a quick try and never looked back. The battery life has been impressive. I've gone several multiple hour sessions without charging and haven't had the low battery light come on yet.

Even with expensive hearing aids in my ears I can not hear a rattle snake. Only way I would know one was around would be to see it or have it bite me. I use headphones at all times when detecting. Wearing them does cut down on the number of busybodies who want to know what you are finding.

I am new to the activity but I prefer the head phones. They are a bit troublesome in the heat and before I figured out a system for keeping the cord out of my way they are awesome. I hear more than I did with out, I can hear others around me still and they have the added benefit of people not wanting to chat with me as much when my head is down and the ear phones are on. I picked up the activity not only for the fun of discovering things long lost but also for a bit of silence and thinking time away from the chaos of the world. Those head phones help me shut it all out and enjoy my bubble of privacy.

I almost always wear headphones, because I started detecting back in the late 1970s with an analog detector - no display, only one tone, and the signal was just an increase in the volume. With some deep targets the change in volume was so subtle that is seemed like just a change in the quality of the tone, something you'd miss without headphones. After all those years of using them, I've got used to them. I am toying with the idea of going wireless, though.

No headphones for me, but I usually hunt in the quiet woods. My hearing has been trashed from too many concerts and my former occupation (carpenter). Headphones can be detrimental to your hearing and I can't afford to lose any more of mine.

I seem to do just fine without them, so I don't sweat it. If I can hear the quiet tone of a .44 musket ball at 8 or 9 inches, then I doubt if I'm missing much (if anything).

Improved battery life, clearer tone ID separation. Really depends on detector- but battery life is always better. My Garrett Ace audio s either on or off- no threshold to discern-so headphones not as important. My MX5 has threshold variations in some settings, so somewhat necessary.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom