Easy way to get permissions.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Six months ago I got some simple business card made up with my name, phone, email address on them. They were something like $19.00 for 500.

Now when I am asked by people the often asked question "did you find anything?" I am polite with them and show them my finds. Then hand them my card and tell them I will hunt their property and split the finds.

One place where I detect has a running trail through it and a nice neighborhood and have gotten 9 permissions since I started this practice. It is painless way to meet people personally and leave them a way to contact me.

Six months ago I got some simple business card made up with my name, phone, email address on them. They were something like $19.00 for 500.

Now when I am asked by people the often asked question "did you find anything?" I am polite with them and show them my finds. Then hand them my card and tell them I will hunt their property and split the finds.

One place where I detect has a running trail through it and a nice neighborhood and have gotten 9 permissions since I started this practice. It is painless way to meet people personally and leave them a way to contact me.

Love this idea, what a great way to get permissions. I'm curious if you would be willing to share what your card looks like. I'm looking to make my own.

One of the first things I did after starting in the hobby was have a set of "business" cards made - in my experience, wisely used cards can be a huge asset while requesting permission on private property, or for establishing a network of potential permissions.

When door knocking/cold-calling, I think it creates a certain level of credibility for what is otherwise a pretty odd request - we are asking someone to allow a complete stranger to dig little holes all over their lawn, after all :lol: Plus, I think it also helps to generate some trust: I have my home address on my card in addition to my other contact info - in my mind, if I know where they live, they should know where I live. Along the same vein as trust, I splurged and had double sided cards printed, using the back to list my version of "the code of ethics". It serves as a reminder to them that I intend to fully respect their property.

But the greater value of cards may well be for building up a network of potential permissions. Like MaxxKatt said, anytime someone approaches and asks "found anything good yet?", at the very least they'll walk away with one of my cards in hand. I want to make sure that they remember me and I'm the one they call if they really are interested in finding out what might be hiding in their yard or if they ever lose something :D

Another benefit of having a card to give out comes when you get a "no" when asking permission. Depending on the vibe I get from the person, I'll still give them a card and say something like "here's my card just in case you lose something of value or you change your mind". Without a card, a "no" is (somewhat) permanent once they close the door. If they change their mind, or lose something, they have no way to contact you. But left with a card, I'm likely the first person they'll think of, and I can be readily reached.

Sure, the vast majority of my cards will end up either thrown away or in the bottom of someone's junk drawer. But if only a couple of those cards results in a new permission, then they easily paid for themselves!

Love this idea, what a great way to get permissions. I'm curious if you would be willing to share what your card looks like. I'm looking to make my own.

I'll pm a couple pics of the card I use in a few minutes, RRF.

While I am a firm believer in permissions and the business card is a professional look, the idea of sharing your finds takes me aback a bit. I have been doing the door knocking thing for a lot of years now and seldom get turned down. Your presentation and appearance is what your selling, not the idea that you may make them rich with treasure. Matter of fact I use the terms of artifacts and relics and never mention coins in my spiel. I have the looks of a aged Santa rather than that of a sleek Pirate and that helps my cause. Sometimes I get asked about high value finds and my reply is that it is highly unlikely but if it does happen they would be the first to know. In other words play that angle down. I have a large garden and in appreciation I go back to every place I received permission and share some home grown goodies and say thank you. More times than not this practice has lead me to even more permissions. Word gets around and benefits that go with it follow. Trapper

Sometimes I get asked about high value finds and my reply is that it is highly unlikely but if it does happen they would be the first to know. In other words play that angle down. I have a large garden and in appreciation I go back to every place I received permission and share some home grown goodies and say thank you. Trapper

For those who wonder how Trapper does so well, just pay attention to his posts and learn.

The people we get permission from do not metal detect. I'd say almost all would be much more appreciative of a gift from Trapper's garden than a bunch of dirty clad and whatever else makes up half of what he finds.

It makes so much sense to play up the journey (the act of metal detecting itself and the fine people you meet along the way) and play down the final destination (the actual finds).

3 years ago I had some nice cards printed up and since then my permission rate went up 80%. I hand out between 300-500 cards a year. EVERYBODY I meet gets a card. I never leave the house or the car without a small stack in my pocket. I generally have 2-5 permissions to work at all times. It’s a good investment.

I had cards printed up last year and it definitely helps with permissions.
I still get turned down a lot though ..... :no:

Permissions Turned Down?

Hi Estima8tor-
If I may ask, what are you wearing when you ask permission? Unfortunately, people judge you on your appearance and first impressions.....well, we all know that one.
Believe it or not, a clean appearance with NO metal detecting apparatus present makes for a better impression. If they are curious about your methods of digging, by all means, let them know.
And here is where it really makes sense: if at all possible, join a local historical society; and publicly support them. Offer to donate some finds to them in exchange for hunting sites and for use of their name on your business cards. It's amazing how much support you can get when you extend yourself a little and offer to support their name.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Could be the area you live in, with all the C.W. action in SE Va there may be alot of relic hunters. I lived in SE NC, alot of relic hunters. Virginia seems to have many hunters plus hunters from out of state. So much C W and Colonial history, plus Va history goes back nearly 100 years older than many areas in SE U.S. In areas with heavy MDing I can see where home/land owners may be hesitate. Just keep at it and good hunting, its a great hobby, been at it 45 years. HH Jerry

Back
Top Bottom