Quick but productive snow hunt.

Fooleeze

Winter is starting WAY too early here, but I decided to go out for a hunt on a permission where a few homes stood in the late 1800s to early 1900s. But on the way I stopped by the coinstar to cash in about $48 in my clad. Wouldn't you know it, in the rejects I found a silver dime, a Wheatie, and a British penny.

I then proceeded to the permission. And my first hole gave me a Mercury dime. About two holes later I pulled my first legit ring. The ring is a large men's, marked Sterling. The Maker's Mark identify it as an Uncas brand. Could be as early as the 1920s. I then pulled a plated spoon, part of a baby spoon, and a cat and the fiddle pin. It's got green eyes...maybe those are emeralds. I think I've identified it as Jonette Jewelry.

A good quick hunt. Couldn't stay out too long, since it never got above 30 degrees and my hands got wicked cold. Anyone got any advice for some cold weather, waterproof gloves?

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_082851.jpg
    IMG_20181209_082851.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20181209_082859.jpg
    IMG_20181209_082859.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 189
For a spot that a few homes sat at one time and a short hunt that's a heck of a day.
Congradulations on the sweet silver and other goodies .
,Dew

Some nice finds.

I use those chem-pack hand warmers. I put one inside each glove. When my finger get too cold I pull my fingers out of the glove fingers and hold the chem-pack to warm them up.
You can use Nitril gloves as water proof layer under your regular gloves.

It is 28°F here and I really do want to get out detecting today.
Planning on hitting the woods.

Thats awesome! Yeah, Like waltr was saying...Heres what I do now with those HotHands Heater packs....I stick the footwarmer one on my detector handle, on account of they have that adhesive......I put a regular square pack in the pocket where I keep my digging hand...I cannot stab with a glove on, I need a bare hand...These things are awesome!...Cant believe I lived this long without them!

Attachments

• hot hands1.jpg
    hot hands1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 175
  • hot hands.jpg
    hot hands.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 184
Thats awesome! Yeah, Like waltr was saying...Heres what I do now with those HotHands Heater packs....I stick the footwarmer one on my detector handle, on account of they have that adhesive......I put a regular square pack in the pocket where I keep my digging hand...I cannot stab with a glove on, I need a bare hand...These things are awesome!...Cant believe I lived this long without them!

I didn't know about the warmers that have adhesive. They would be a great way to have a warm detector handle or maybe even the shovel.

I did get out today, high of 38°F, and was warm enough. Holding the metal shovel was a bit cold however. The ground was not frozen in the wooded area so digging was easy. Just didn't find anything good this time (tends to be every third time to this area).

Helpful tip, A buddy said if you only use the hand warmers an hr or two then you can reseal them in a air tight bag and use them again the next day.

I used to scuba dive in through the ice in winter and the divers gloves did pretty good. I used them until they wore out and I have seen ice fishermen using them as well. Just a thought.

A good quick hunt. Couldn't stay out too long, since it never got above 30 degrees and my hands got wicked cold. Anyone got any advice for some cold weather, waterproof gloves?

Last year my fingers were freezing with just my work gloves at the end of the season. This year, I have been using this system: base layer of thin jogging gloves, dewalt latex dipped insulated work gloves (I went one size larger for a bit of air inside) and a hand warmer stuck in there on the back of my hand. Has actually worked very well...fingers stayed warm!

Attachments

• 34F3FE93-D249-4672-A055-1F53587E91DE.jpeg
    34F3FE93-D249-4672-A055-1F53587E91DE.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 3493B924-1D8C-4D4E-AE4D-EF672301306E.jpg
    3493B924-1D8C-4D4E-AE4D-EF672301306E.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 86
  • EA393EAB-3636-4667-98FF-59A6343A5D3F.jpeg
    EA393EAB-3636-4667-98FF-59A6343A5D3F.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom