Here is a SLQ that I can keep.

Dan B.

Elite Member
First of all let me explain the title. About 20 years ago I had just started to have a interest in metal detecting. I asked the guy down the street if I could metal detect his yard and he said go ahead.

When I was finished he asked what did you find? And in the excitement of the first batch of coins I had found I showed him what was in my hand. I found my first Indian Head pennies and a beautiful SLQ he quickly snatch them out of my hand and said thank you for finding these in my yard and walked off into his house.

Which now brings you to present time. I decided to go out yesterday morning even though it been below freezing the last week. The ground was frozen about 2 inches . I came across a very nice signal and when I popped it out to my surprise was a beautiful 1919 standing liberty quarter. And it's all mine. This is my first keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20181207_132144.jpg
    IMG_20181207_132144.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_20181207_131950.jpg
    IMG_20181207_131950.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_20181207_131929.jpg
    IMG_20181207_131929.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 388
First of all let me explain the title. About 20 years ago I had just started to have a interest in metal detecting. I asked the guy down the street if I could metal detect his yard and he said go ahead.

When I was finished he asked what did you find? And in the excitement of the first batch of coins I had found I showed him what was in my hand. I found my first Indian Head pennies and a beautiful SLQ he quickly snatch them out of my hand and said thank you for finding these in my yard and walked off into his house.

Which now brings you to present time. I decided to go out yesterday morning even though it been below freezing the last week. The ground was frozen about 2 inches . I came across a very nice signal and when I popped it out to my surprise was a beautiful 1919 standing liberty quarter. And it's all mine. This is my first keeper.

Dude that story is messed up in so many ways.. I would of left a flaming bag of poop on his doorstep and rang the bell..

Excellent find and congrats on your keepers.

I have always worried about the home owners wanting the finds so if they ask “so what did you find”? I respond “ Ahh just a bunch of nails and pull-tabs”. Congrats on the SLQ! Nice job

That is just simply ROTTEN of them . I always ask if i get to keep the coins before i turn on my detector. I think after he did that i would've said let me see if I can get you some more. Then dig as many holes as deep as possible and not fill them in. Then leave:laughing:

That is just simply ROTTEN of them . I always ask if i get to keep the coins before i turn on my detector. I think after he did that i would've said let me see if I can get you some more. Then dig as many holes as deep as possible and not fill them in. Then leave:laughing:

Knock " knock" 🤔 But wait Mr. I didn't even get to show you the jar of gold ones I found ! Oh well ...😎 Thank you Sir .
😳
Congradulations on the Old stander . Be gentle she may have some value.
, Dew

Nice hunting, Dan! I remember you telling me that homeowner story when I was just getting started in detecting - made me realize early that I need to be careful how I manage things when hunting private property. Glad you got to keep this one!

Congratulations on that Beauty of a Stander! And Wow...that 20yr ago story is Nightmare material right there!...Unforgettable and Lifechanging!

First congrats on the Stander and getting to keep it. I can relate to your history Dan as similar incident happened to me. Hunting private property the owner came out and asked if I found anything. I was beaming with pride as I had dug my first ever 1800's Barber, a Indian and a couple of Wheat's. I showed the guy with pride and he seemed very excited for me. He asked if he could show his wife the coins. I agreed and he went into the house. I continued to hunt and did find another Barber and a Merc along with a few Wheat's. When it was time to leave I went back to the door and asked for the coins. The man answer that they decided to keep the coins. I never showed him the rest but the lesson was learned. I never show my keepers. Only clad and trash. Trapper

Dude that story is messed up in so many ways.. I would of left a flaming bag of poop on his doorstep and rang the bell..

Excellent find and congrats on your keepers.

I have always worried about the home owners wanting the finds so if they ask “so what did you find”? I respond “ Ahh just a bunch of nails and pull-tabs”. Congrats on the SLQ! Nice job

Redemption!
Sweet!

Knock " knock" 🤔 But wait Mr. I didn't even get to show you the jar of gold ones I found ! Oh well ...😎 Thank you Sir .
😳
Congradulations on the Old stander . Be gentle she may have some value.
, Dew

Congratulations on that Beauty of a Stander! And Wow...that 20yr ago story is Nightmare material right there!...Unforgettable and Lifechanging!

Congrats on the Stander...excellent dig!

Thank you all for taking the time. That definitely was a lesson learned and has not happened since. Most property owners have no problem with your keeping what you have found. This SLQ was found in a plowed field no one there to watch me dig it.

First congrats on the Stander and getting to keep it. I can relate to your history Dan as similar incident happened to me. Hunting private property the owner came out and asked if I found anything. I was beaming with pride as I had dug my first ever 1800's Barber, a Indian and a couple of Wheat's. I showed the guy with pride and he seemed very excited for me. He asked if he could show his wife the coins. I agreed and he went into the house. I continued to hunt and did find another Barber and a Merc along with a few Wheat's. When it was time to leave I went back to the door and asked for the coins. The man answer that they decided to keep the coins. I never showed him the rest but the lesson was learned. I never show my keepers. Only clad and trash. Trapper

Sorry to hear that happened to you also but it sounds like we both learned a lesson. HH&GL

Congrats on your first keeper SLQ. I found my first one this year. Good luck and hope you get another before years end.

Big Congrats on the SLQ, they don't pop up too often. Yep, it's not wise to show what you found because they may want to keep it or they may feel like they got the short end of the stick for letting you detect their yard. When someone says that they let me detect their yard if I spit what I find with them. I usually say no thanks. Sometimes I say that I will agree to split my finds with them if they're willing to spit the overhead cost with me as well. Detectors, batteries, equipment, and gas ain't cheap; I figure I'd come out ahead.

BTW, what settings were you using?

beephead

Congrats on the keeper!! I have been in your shoes, detected a guys yard and he wanted the coins and his daughter wanted the relics. Left with only trash and a new understanding....new plan!

That SLQ is a beauty, Congrats! That guy 20 years ago would have been forever wondering if it was me that tossed his mailbox through the picture window. :lol:

.........Yep, it's not wise to show what you found because they may want to keep it or they may feel like they got the short end of the stick for letting you detect their yard. When someone says that they let me detect their yard if I spit what I find with them. I usually say no thanks. Sometimes I say that I will agree to split my finds with them if they're willing to spit the overhead cost with me as well. Detectors, batteries, equipment, and gas ain't cheap; I figure I'd come out ahead............
beephead

Actually, they're providing the land and opportunity to hunt and dig, as well as taking a risk/liability of you being on their property, especially if they don't know you or you're new at the hobby. Plus, there's the simple fact that anything in their dirt is their property, whether they would have ever dug it up or not. Maybe their grandkids would have one day. I think you're overvaluing what we're offering, especially if the plan all along is to abscond with any goodies.

The mistake in the original post was not being on the same page about the results of the hunt, and there's no reason to do any of the seriously "unfriendly" things others have suggested. Hopefully nobody thinking about letting somebody metal detect their yard ever sees this discussion.

I have two permission hunts lined up for spring, including one on private property where there was a documented civil war fort. I'll go in assuming they want to see anything interesting or of value even though they haven't explicitly said so. On the second hunt we agreed that I will keep the coins and they keep the house relics and jewelry. If I only find coins and junk, at least that's what they agreed upon. Plus, there's a good chance they'll let me hunt again because after a few hours there's almost always more promising signals than what I have the chance to explore, and I'll tell them if that's the case.

If I just assume "finder's keepers" then what do I say when I'm about to leave with a pocket full of silver and gold and they ask if I found anything good? If I say "oh, nothing" then I'm a liar and a thief, and if I hold back even one item then I'm still a thief. Yet, when I reveal the handful of goodies I was about to take while incorrectly and conveniently assuming they wouldn't be interested in seeing or keeping any of it, how do I handle that? "Gosh, I didn't think you'd be interested in the 100 dollars worth of silver coins in your yard!!! My bad!" That looks real bad, as does strangely never finding anything of value, especially if it's a friend of the family or co-worker. Word gets around.

and there's no reason to do any of the seriously "unfriendly" things others have suggested. Hopefully nobody thinking about letting somebody metal detect their yard ever sees this discussion.

Toysoldier, I would hope by the "LOL" smiley emoji I added that no one would take the mailbox thru the picture window seriously. Not a "suggestion" just a joke. Your right it is his property but it's still a slimy thing to do to a guy, let him work all day knowing well that he want's to keep his finds and then take them because he wasn't clear up front. It would be no different than letting a neighbor's kid cut your lawn for some extra money and then paying him a penny because the kid never set a price up front. It may be his right but it's still slimy in my opinion.

It may be his right but it's still slimy in my opinion.

Here here. x2 If an owner asks are we going to split what you find I generally say, I keep what I find, you can't can't split a coin or token, I'm not in it for the money, I'm into saving some history, BUT if I find the lost treasure of the Incas I will be happy to split with you. Or if you lost any jewelry let me know, I will be happy to try to find it for you. If that doesn't satisfy them I move on. Beautiful SLQ. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom