Looks like maybe 10,000 reasons to buy a Tesoro

No way he found those coins with a Tesoro. Calabash said Tesoro's weren't as good as "other" detectors. Imagine what that guy would have found using a different detector. Shoot, he might have found a coin worth real money.

The TESORO Lobo Super Traq also found my Avatar. I've hunted with an LST for the past 20+ years.

The LST is one of those best kept secrets that a lot of people think was only used/built for Gold prospecting. It was probably also one of, if not the first "High Dollar" detector selling for $650.00 to $700.00 dollars new in the 90's and held that MFG price through today.

The LST was also the first detector that I know of that offered Auto GB in All metal mode. It is not a detector that one picks up for 10 minutes and declares "good or bad". It takes time to learn the machine and to realize that it is an amazing performer. That's why I own 2. It compliments my Deus and others quite well.

LST user comment and opinion would of course be appreciated, but please also include your experience level with the machine:

Both of my LST's have been trouble free.

I think the LST was Jack Giffords personal "flagship" design and rightly so.

Last edited:
Great post,thanks for sharing..I’ve made nice finds with every machine I’ve owned,,but tesoro just put the fun factor back in the hunt for me.

I will say one thing for tesoro. Even though they are going out of business they are still repairing and processing repairs and doing returns. That says a lot for the people and their integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as conditions are right, meaning there is a gold coin there and not too deep, anything from Bounty Hunter to CTX will find it as long as you get your coil over it.

Now, credit goes to a detector when all other detectors have hunted the same area clean and then you find the goods. Then you can give some credit to the detector. In the end it is still more a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Kind of like winning the lottery. You chances may be slim, but someone is going to win no matter how slim the odds.

You're correct Detector for the most part.

If the target is pretty much open and not discriminated out, real deep, or masked by other metals, nails, and junk most any detector from bounty hunter to harbor freight will hit it.

It's when folks start looking for more separation, depth, multi tones, screens, programs, and a myriad of other options is when they get their wallets out and pay up.

Not so different from fishing with a cane pole or choosing a $300 reel. A John boat and paddle or a V (pick a model) Ranger with a 300 HP outboard.

The choices then are almost too many to count and that's not a bad thing but the Bass tournament could also be won from a trolling motor powered John Boat. It would just take longer to get to the weigh in

And as far as I know fish don't care what's on the other end of the line so why should a relic or coin??

One of the early GNRS East coast Civil War "Grand National Relic Shootouts" hosting 150+ entrants using every detector known to man in really hot ground was indeed won by Bounty Hunter.

So, when the dust clears the only real constant we can count on in this hobby is the enjoyment we get from digging holes, finding things, meeting people and sharing the results with others thereby reducing the number of hours we spend on the couch which can translate to slimmer waistlines because it's hard to eat and metal detect at the same time.

Time has proven that folks that metal detect with a degree of success are often measured by their finds, but never by the make or model of detector they use.

Last edited:
Loved the LST, went more toward the Tejon after it came out. Nothing like having a beep and dig day. Think Beephead and I are going to have one of them soon but nowadays we use Deeptechs. Still have my Vaquero and Mojave and will never let them go. To many good years with them.

You're correct Detector for the most part.

If the target is pretty much open and not discriminated out, real deep, or masked by other metals, nails, and junk most any detector from bounty hunter to harbor freight will hit it.

It's when folks start looking for more separation, depth, multi tones, screens, programs, and a myriad of other options is when they get their wallets out and pay up.

Not so different from fishing with a cane pole or choosing a $300 reel. A John boat and paddle or a V (pick a model) Ranger with a 300 HP outboard.

The choices then are almost too many to count and that's not a bad thing but the Bass tournament could also be won from a trolling motor powered John Boat. It would just take longer to get to the weigh in

And as far as I know fish don't know what's on the other end of the line so why should a relic or coin??

One of the early GNRS East coast Civil War "Grand National Relic Shootouts" hosting 150+ entrants using every detector known to man in really hot ground was indeed won by Bounty Hunter.

So, when the dust clears the only real constant we can count on in this hobby is the enjoyment we get from digging holes, finding things, meeting people and sharing the results with others thereby reducing the number of hours we spend on the couch which can translate to slimmer waistlines because it's hard to eat and metal detect at the same time.

Time has proven that folks that metal detect can often be measured by their finds, but never by the make or model of detector they use.

Probably one the the most realistic posts I’ve read in a long time.

Yep you're right Digstrash... the Tejon is also a very good detector. I think the LST running at 17hz fills a gap and of course hits gold anything very well. Hits small fine gold amazingly well, very small chains? No problemo, the one tone has a huge amount of info once you understand it.

I will say one thing for tesoro. Even though they are going out of business they are still repairing and processing repairs and doing returns. That says a lot for the people and their integrity.

it does! i believe they have just hit a "rough patch" and will bounce back.
suspect over supply at warehouses. gotta move product.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I love that the guy is wearing a Zeppelin t-shirt in the article pic...

"There's a detectorist who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And he's buying a Lobo to hunt with...

When he gets there he knows
If the fields are all closed
With a Tesoro he can get what he came for...." :lol::lol::lol:

I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with anyone at Tesoro, but I don't think the repair dept still being open is about integrity.

What it tells me is that Vince Gifford is holding out hope for a deal with someone. Office and manufacturing personnel can be replaced easily by new owners. Replacing knowledgeable repair personnel...not so easy.

Back
Top Bottom