Tesoro Compadre with 8" coil

Tyson024

Hi everyone,

I've decided to buy a Compadre with the 8" coil, but I've noticed that there is a "donut" style and one that is solid and white. I don't know enough about the units to tell if the solid coil just has a cover or if it is definitely different than the donut coil. Is there a difference in the solid vs the donut style? I was thinking the donut would be easier to pinpoint targets. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've decided to buy a Compadre with the 8" coil, but I've noticed that there is a "donut" style and one that is solid and white. I don't know enough about the units to tell if the solid coil just has a cover or if it is definitely different than the donut coil. Is there a difference in the solid vs the donut style? I was thinking the donut would be easier to pinpoint targets. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks!

If you are looking at the Tesoro website, or any website, the donut coil is the 8" coil while the white coil is a 5.75" coil.
They have also had other white coils on some units, I have a white 7" white coil on my older model Compadre.

They are all easy to pinpoint targets no matter what coil, all will do some amazing things like double beep on targets near, next to or even leaning on big metal, (even the 8" donut coil), and all are amazingly sensitive to small objects.

The 8" coil will be slightly deeper than smaller coil versions...this is just physics.

Ahhhhhh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I was having a hard time trying to figure that out on my own.

I haven't had a MD since I was little. They are getting ready to completely level the wooded area on my street to put in a subdivision. There used to be some old farm houses over 100 years ago in there, so I'm hoping to search it before it's gone forever.

Although I have a couple of "higher end" machines I enjoy the Compadre for its simplicity,light weight and silly speed. I have the newer 8" version and it will bust a nickel at 6-7" without even blinking. It likes low/mid conductors a lot! I really don't know much about it but coming from running a fairly quick 2 filter Whites for 4 years,it's right on par with that,minus a bunch of features.
If you're just out looking for "stuff" and you'll be digging all solid hits above a certain disc level and at 8" or less,it will be a lot of fun,guaranteed. I really think ALL detectorists should start with a machine that's really simple and is monotone. It teaches you so much in the regard that you're listening to the QUALITY of the signal,not the pitch. And as Digger said,pinpointing is really a breeze with a concentric coil. Great starter machine and more...much more.

Don't forget to join the church after you get your Compadre! http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892

I also have an 8" Compadre and love it! It may look like a toy but it's a lightweight powerhouse that will definitely find the goods. You can even mod them to be waterproof, have adjustable sensitivity, etc. My Compadre has found some pretty awesome stuff at pretty respectable depths...usually in the hands of a novice that is detecting with me.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom