Battery Question

L.I.Digga

Forum Supporter
Got a question about the batt in the Xcal.I charged it for its first charge like it said about 17hrs...Used it today maybe 4hrs.Now would you guys tap it off or should i use it as is tommorrow?...

I use a multi-meter to check volts on my battery, I'll usually charge it when it drops down in the upper 12 volt range unless I know I'm doing a short hunt in which case I charge it later on. If I know I'm going to hunt all day I bring an extra battery or alkaline battery pod just incase - I've learned from personal experience. :D

I highly recommend you get one of the fast chargers. They have a light that shows the battery is charged. To answer your question though, one 4 hour hunt will not require any charging at all. I would wait until you hunt at least another 6 hours. It really depends on how many targets you hit. If the beach is quiet your battery will go a long time. I charge every 10 or more hours. I have never had a battery go dead yet.

Guessing it's NiMh, no memory effect, like NiCd. Most all chemistries don't like to be completely drained, usually happier with a full charge. Fast chargers, are battery cookers, and heat isn't good for batteries. There are some batteries, which claim to tolerate a fast charge, but skeptical it's worth the greater expense, and they hold up any better.

I highly recommend you get one of the fast chargers. They have a light that shows the battery is charged. To answer your question though, one 4 hour hunt will not require any charging at all. I would wait until you hunt at least another 6 hours. It really depends on how many targets you hit. If the beach is quiet your battery will go a long time. I charge every 10 or more hours. I have never had a battery go dead yet.

Do you use one and where do you get it? Can this charge the excel to quickly and is it 100% safe?

I got the fast charger from ebay.My Xcal came with 2 batts i charged one over night well for 17hrs like the book says.The other i charged with the fast charger you guys told me about on ebay.The fast charger works great has a red light and green when charged.Only thing is when i charged the batt on the regular overnight charger the batt barely got warm.When the batt on the quick charger was done wich took only 1-1/2 hrs to turn the light green when i picked up the batt it was very warm and almost hot to the touch.So im not sure what kinda damage will be done using that charger. ..

I agree, slow and easy concerning the battery charge! I think the higher temp will break the battery down faster! IMHO!

I agree, slow and easy concerning the battery charge! I think the higher temp will break the battery down faster! IMHO!

They don't last forever. Depends on how you use, abuse, and care for your batteries, how long they will last. Fast chargers, mean you have to replace the batteries faster. Still a good deal, compared to disposable batteries, but you can do a lot better on your investment.

Back
Top Bottom