Silver # 50 today but not before a heartstopper

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Man was it hot today, had my eye on a house that has been under renovation. Tax records said 1950 but with a slate roof and wavy block foundation I thought it had to be older. Yesterday saw some contractors working and inquired about hunting and they said the yard will be landscaped when they are finished. So this morning I headed over, my first couple of signals were in the 30s on the 800. Memorials. 31 in all for the day with most of them sounding too good to pass on. So I get a 12-13. probably my 3rd or 4th signal, definitely a nickel, pinpointer says shallow enough to pop, first pop makes a seam but shows nothing, next one goes on the towel and I see gold glimmering in the morning sun I see lady liberty, stars, and an 8 in the date and my heart is jacked, I pick it up ahhhhh-a foogazi, its a broken costume jewelry ring. It sure looked good. Oh well, this is why we do it. Right ? Any way a jumpy 25 signal shows a bling gold earing and next out came a 64 Rosie. # 50 FTY. I hoped for something old or cool for my 50th but no complaints. Last year I set my goal at 100 and failed miserably, so I was a little more conservative this year and set it at 50. DUN done. Now for a little catch up, a week ago Sat. I was at 46. Me and Dave (digginpa) went back to the old park where I have been killin on old nickels. He started off with a 1902 Barber dime followed by a nice 37 Buff. All I could dig was clad pennies and nickels. Now lately I have been whining with all the nickels I've been digging but no war nickels. I did dig one that day a 1945, # 47 fty and that tied my 2018 silver fty record. A little in clad, but overall the day wasn't going so well. Dave got a couple Vs and my best find came late in the day with an 1899 Pittsburgh carriage tax license. Truthfully, made my day. By the way, Pgh Joe and John (finders keepers) pounded that same field and pulled out more silver and more old nickels. Another trip gave up a chunky sterling earing and a couple wheats but no silver coins.
Now the week we had a lot of rain, high humidity, I did not want to go back there just to sit and watch the rain come down so I decided to go to the local park. Glad I did, I started with a wheatie, some clad then a nice 24 Merc and right after a 42 Merc. that was # 48&49, I could taste # 50. Not to be. The next day I tried again, 2 more Buffs, a couple more Wheaties but no shiny. In 2 trips I had dug 18 nickels, 2 Buffs and 7 Wheaties, the oldest a 1920 and the 2 Mercs,. Not bad for a park the was hunted out years ago, or so they said. That brings me to today and now on to # 75. Thanks for looking in Mark

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 386
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 396
Dang!! That Lady Liberty popping up with a date would have had me gasping for air too! Nice hunt though - congrats on #50!! I haven’t even hit 50 for my career yet :lol: Oh well....soon!!

That carriage tax tag is pretty awesome!! That would have made my day too!

A nice run of hunts Mark and a new FTY record is very impressive. I love the idea of not being satisfied and to leap for the new goal. That being Said congrats on #50 with the Rosie, the Merc's, the old Nickels and all the rest. Hope you make a lot of great memories the remainder of this year. Trapper

Very nice finds Mark, and congrats on your 50th Shiny for the year. Lots of "year" left too and hope you keep doing great!

Nice outing! I bet that junker about floored ya, lol.
Yes Jerry it did for about a New York minute I though I had won the super bowl. But as usual with my luck every time I see gold it turns out to be junk or plated. HH Mark

Yea that would have got me going no doubt, a nice report Mark, congrats!
Jeff thanks even with the letdown the rush is always fun and still a pretty cool find. I just can't help but think the detector gods have been cruel to me lately, between that and the Rolex. LOL HH Mark

Dang!! That Lady Liberty popping up with a date would have had me gasping for air too! Nice hunt though - congrats on #50!! I haven’t even hit 50 for my career yet :lol: Oh well....soon!! Thanks and yes Ben, it deinitely had my eyes open wide for a couple seconds. 50 is doable, do you door knock residential or just farms ?

That carriage tax tag is pretty awesome!! That would have made my day too!
I do love it, that is the second one this year. My first was in Jan.(my avatar). I actually had one guy ask if I wanted to trade some silver but I passed. I figure I can always dig some more silver but how many more of those are likely to show up. Good luck Mark

Congrats. You got some nice finds. HD, thank you sir HH Mark

HD

Awesome stuff ,love the carriage license , congrats !
SS thanks, definitely one of my cooler finds this year. HHMark

A nice run of hunts Mark and a new FTY record is very impressive. I love the idea of not being satisfied and to leap for the new goal. That being Said congrats on #50 with the Rosie, the Merc's, the old Nickels and all the rest. Hope you make a lot of great memories the remainder of this year. Trapper
Trapper, thank you, I have to tell you , I get inspiration from you and your tenacity in the pursuit. Keep diggin till the ground locks up, eh? HHMark

Very nice finds Mark, and congrats on your 50th Shiny for the year. Lots of "year" left too and hope you keep doing great!
LS Thank you sir. HH Mark

Man that's a lot of silver, congrats! That dang junk ring would have pissed me off :lol: but the carriage license is sweet - from your avatar looks like you've found a few?

Congrats again!

thanks

Man that's a lot of silver, congrats! That dang junk ring would have pissed me off :lol: but the carriage license is sweet - from your avatar looks like you've found a few?

Congrats again!

GS, thank you. My silver count is up from last year as well as other finds. The Eq. 800 is a pretty good machine. The gold ring definitely had my heart rate up. Oh well maybe next time. Good luck Mark

Last edited:
Mark, wow...you found some really good stuff. You found yourself a good producing park. To find silver #50 is a great accomplishment...and I am sure more will becoming...congrats!

Congrats on reaching #50 FTY Mark! The tide seems to have shifted in your favor. You may end up passing me up before the year is over.:lol: See ya out there again soon buddy!

Not likely.

Congrats on reaching #50 FTY Mark! The tide seems to have shifted in your favor. You may end up passing me up before the year is over.:lol: See ya out there again soon buddy!

Yeah right, not likely but I'll keep trying.lol You ain't gonna believe this but I dug another 1920 Buff out of that field after you left. I don't know what it is with 1920 Buffs and that place, I think that was my 5th, Plus you got one, I think Joe got one or two. He got a Barber dime before he left and Dave didn't do too well, one deep wheatie and a clad nickel. I look forward to our next hunt, maybe try a different area whaddya think ? Signals there are getting scarce. HH Mark

That carriage license is so cool. Those are the things I get so excited about finding too. Congrats on the finds and hitting the 50 silver coin mark.

Back
Top Bottom