• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

(Don't know if any of you had seen this) Looks like we're done in Erie County!

Well a few years ago they banned metal detecting in all 122 city parks where is live. I've been 100 times at least and never has anyone said anything. Let the fire die down and do as u wish.

Here's a thought....

According to the article, "all items found must be surrendered to the office of the park where the items were discovered."

Should this pass. I would humbly submit that the local MD club organize a hunt in one of the parks, get as many people to go as possible, call the local media and drop of the thousands of bottle caps, pull tabs, needles, pieces of can-slaw, and other random, dangerous items at the park office.

Maybe they'll realize the ordinance is stupid or maybe they'll realize how much junk and dangerous stuff we remove from public lands....

Yep, Freedom....not so much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the history of so many finds. Quite often it is the regular Joe that makes the initial find and then either the Government or some high dollar company/agency takes over and their name goes up as the finder. I don't believe that we as the general public should keep true Native American artifacts or Historical finds that should be in Museums. Arrow heads or beads are different though, they are very plentiful over the last 200 yrs. I do think that any true significant finds should be brought to the attention of the State and I believe an auction should be held. Museums, whether Art, History or what have you, buy things all the time. And the person finding these things should be given the compensation from the buyer at auction. The state will still receive the tax money from the finder anyway. Treasure hunting has always been something that all people have done throughout time. And it seems to me that even if it's a Mercury dime or a chest of gold bars. We all should have that chance to look for it as long as we respect the land, the people and the laws.

Gotta love the worthless government officials. If they can't tax it, they just ban it.

One part of the proposal I found odd was that it would specifically ban detecting on public golf courses. I just have to ask, who would be stupid enough to attempt detecting a public golf course?

I've seen this happen in other places around the country, and I never thought it would hit home, and it looks like it is. And another thing to worry about is that, if it does get banned this year, how will we know that it did? Cause I know several people around here hunt those parks, including a few hunting buddies of mine. And I would hate to see them get in trouble, fined, or lose equipment over this ridiculous law!

Best thing to stir up some support from the local population is to make them understand that today its my hobby they are after .... yours could be next. It is past time all of us started holding these local level blowhards accountable. If you offer most of them a way to tax an activity instead of banning it, they will trip over themselves to do just that.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...s-restricting-use-of-metal-detectors-20130921

Looks like another ignorant public official wants to ban metal detecting in Erie Co. NY.

AT-digger, I've studied your link. But as usual in such articles, there's no mention of what started those balls rolling. Here is something that is said though:

"The Erie County policy could take effect in spring 2014 at the earliest. The proposal follows a few recent incidents where those using metal detectors have been asked to leave county and city parks after they were observed digging the ground to remove metal objects. "

However, in the very same article, notice this quote as to "origins" :

"The policy that Schinzel proposes is modeled after the one in Monmouth County, N.J., where he worked before coming here."

Does anyone else see the contradiction here? I would infer that from the 2nd quote, that he's got this brilliant idea, based on some sort of restrictions seen at the previous job he has. Yet the first quote says it was born-out-of-holes someone saw.

Notice that whenever some bureaucrat says "because of holes", we all say: "durn those md'rs who must've left holes". But I'm of the opinion that there wasn't necessarily any incidents of "holes". Because think of it, what's the knee-jerk image that some people have when asked to think of metal detectors? HOLES! So they just say "no, because of holes". It's just the "go-to" answer by the person you just asked "can I metal detect ?".

As for the things about "removal of items from public grounds", well I got news for you: such "rules" about "harvesting", "taking", and "collecting" are ALREADY in effect at EVERY SINGLE park, school, campground, beach, etc... across the entire USA. So that no one thinks they can cut down trees, take home the picnic benches, harvest beach sand for commercial purposes, etc.... Were they ever meant to apply to individual coins and pulltabs and the seashell your 10 yr. old daughter just picked up? No. But can they if you asked long enough and hard enough of enough desk-bound bureaucrats? Sure!

While it's possible that some bureaucrat drove past a park, saw an md'r leaving holes, and got a bee in his bonnet to regulate/out-law this, yet in a lot of other cases, it's people who read stories like this (with the "coming to a town near you" hype), so they rush off to their city and county halls, asking if it's ok to detect. Whomever they ask gets a bee in their bonnet to implement rules to "address this pressing issue" Aaarrggghh.

According to the article, "all items found must be surrendered to the office of the park where the items were discovered."

Should this pass. I would humbly submit that the local MD club organize a hunt in one of the parks, get as many people to go as possible, call the local media and drop of the thousands of bottle caps, pull tabs, needles, pieces of can-slaw, and other random, dangerous items at the park office.

Maybe they'll realize the ordinance is stupid or maybe they'll realize how much junk and dangerous stuff we remove from public lands....

Love it!! :lol:

So it should come as no surprise that Erie County Parks, Recreation and Forestry Commissioner Troy Schinzel is working to implement a policy that would place a handful of county parks and both county-run golf courses off-limits to the use of metal detectors. The policy would also establish rules on the removal of items from public grounds.

Fortunately for you, this leaves the fresh water streams and ponds wide open :) and your AT Pro will reward you handsomely for that.

Already some laws in place like that up there in some of those counties. The guys who hunt there just don't ever find anything whether they do or not:lol:

If you look at the history of so many finds. Quite often it is the regular Joe that makes the initial find and then either the Government or some high dollar company/agency takes over and their name goes up as the finder. I don't believe that we as the general public should keep true Native American artifacts or Historical finds that should be in Museums. Arrow heads or beads are different though, they are very plentiful over the last 200 yrs. I do think that any true significant finds should be brought to the attention of the State and I believe an auction should be held. Museums, whether Art, History or what have you, buy things all the time. And the person finding these things should be given the compensation from the buyer at auction. The state will still receive the tax money from the finder anyway. Treasure hunting has always been something that all people have done throughout time. And it seems to me that even if it's a Mercury dime or a chest of gold bars. We all should have that chance to look for it as long as we respect the land, the people and the laws.

I agree Jim. Finds of true "historical or cultural significance" should be preserved for all. But too many of these localities, or even states, want to claim everything that's in the ground: coins, buttons, etc. New York State Parks claims everything less than 50 years old. So, what - a 1955 wheatie is now a cultural treasure?!?! Give me a break. I mean it's not like U.S. MD'ers are typically dealing with the sorts of things they find in Europe - Burial sites, Roman treasure hoards, early civilizations. 99 times out of 100, you're looking at pocket change or a stray button. All we ask is that they stop with the blanket bans and get real about the restrictions. :mad:

I surrender my soap box...

Gotta love the worthless government officials. If they can't tax it, they just ban it.

One part of the proposal I found odd was that it would specifically ban detecting on public golf courses. I just have to ask, who would be stupid enough to attempt detecting a public golf course?

LOL me!!! Thats where I got my 1893CC 10.00 eagle and over 100 barber coins.

A hole heals a LOT more quickly than a divit anyway.

BUT you are right on 100%. If they can't tax it ban it. Like booze, cigs and weed.

Back
Top Bottom