Live ammo

mrdjfeltimo

Elite Member
This is the first time i have dug LIVE ammo, the 22 was a surfice(well nearly)find, but the 357 mag was 5 inches deep, both found in my friends yard but he was not there for me to give him for disposal. now what do i do with them, Police?, Garbage?, or put them in my finds box?. i dont know, i really dont want this stuff in my house, however they are cool well at least the 357 is
what would you guys do?
THANKS DAN

Attachments

• vans place 010.jpg
    vans place 010.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 368
  • vans place 011.jpg
    vans place 011.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 347
  • vans place 012.jpg
    vans place 012.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 346
The 357 seems to be missing the actual bullet, so probably no powder in it. Hard to tell with that angle.

The 22 bullet is live. They are called Rimfire, because the firing pin hits the outside rim of the bullet instead of the center "centerfire". Thankfully you didn't hit the rim with your digger. In the past I have taken the bullet off a live 22, and poured out the powder, but have to be very careful...

The .357 looks like a hollow point from picture angle. Finding pistol ammo is not that unusual here in the USA, I found a couple of .45 rounds by my mailbox one morning! If you swing by a police station they'll take it off your hands and you can get some brownie points as a MD'er!!!

Dusty

The 357 seems to be missing the actual bullet, so probably no powder in it. Hard to tell with that angle.

The 22 bullet is live. They are called Rimfire, because the firing pin hits the outside rim of the bullet instead of the center "centerfire". Thankfully you didn't hit the rim with your digger. In the past I have taken the bullet off a live 22, and poured out the powder, but have to be very careful...

No, there is a bullet there in the .357. My .44 magnum loads look the same way from that angle. Also the primer has not been struck so it is not an expended load.
Do NOT dispose of in the trash. Consider the poor sanitation workers in the vicinity of those rounds if they are struck or incinerated at the disposal site. If you don't want them around drop them off at the police station.

The .357 looks like a hollow point from picture angle. Finding pistol ammo is not that unusual here in the USA, I found a couple of .45 rounds by my mailbox one morning! If you swing by a police station they'll take it off your hands and you can get some brownie points as a MD'er!!!

Dusty

yep that does look live, looks like a hollow point or core bon round plus the primer isn't hit

Dusty

cool idea, i was speaking to my naighbour and he has a .357, he tells me that it is a hollow point. Dusty you say this is from a pistol.WOW!!!, thats one BIG pistol. I know NOTHING about guns sorry:):lol:

cool idea, i was speaking to my naighbour and he has a .357, he tells me that it is a hollow point. Dusty you say this is from a pistol.WOW!!!, thats one BIG pistol. I know NOTHING about guns sorry:):lol:

if you think thats big you should see what a .44 looks like :lol:

In the past I have taken the bullet off a live 22, and poured out the powder, but have to be very careful...

I live a bit more dangerously than you do... :lol:

When I was about 10 or 12, I had a box of 22 longs. I started taking the heads off, pouring the powder into a little pile to play with later, and then I'd smack the empty shell with a hammer - the primer would "snap" loudly like a super-cap.

I'm easily amused. :lol:

BUT!! I'm not done yet...I continued this way for a few shells, but at one point must have forgotten to dump the powder. I smacked it with the hammer, and the hammer kicked back so hard and FAST it hurt my arm! Worse, the side of my face started feeling wet. I wiped it away, and yup - you guessed - it was red. I ran to the bathroom mirror, and a tiny piece of brass was sticking out of my skin just to the right of my right eye.

It wasn't a lot of blood, and it closed quickly after I removed it with tweezers, but man....talk about feeling STUPID! It left a tiny little scar to remind me not to try that again! :lol:

They won't harm you as long as you don't go and hammer on them. Just hang on to them and give them to your friend the next time you see him. Keep them away from the kids. You really should learn something about firearms. Not knowing anything is more dangerous than knowing a lot. It's another great hobby. It ranks right up there with fishing and metal detecting...well almost at least.

Or a .500 magnum.

Yep it's a cannon.

The rounds that you found are safe they are not going to go off on their own so no worries there,if they bother you alot simply take a pair of pliers and pull the bullet and dump the powder and spray a little wd 40 or oil down into the empty case to render the primer worthless.They are cool finds and I would have no problem throwing them in my junk finds box.Ken

Dusty

or a wadcutter :yes:

keep it-turn it in. whatever you want :grin:

Well obviously you need to go buy a .357 mag to fire it off. :lol:
May want to pick up some extra rounds though in case that one doesn't fire.

Last edited:
As mentioned above

For the most part you would have to intentionally set off the ammo, as the above gentleman did as a kid and the hazard would be the shell casing not the actual bullet. A bullet has to be in a chamber to work as advertised. I dig up WWII bullets almost everytime i go out hunting, they go in a box. They are not going to magically explode. If you don't want them around your house, maybe you could just bury them in your backyard. I don't think in my opinion it is worth calling up the local PD to dispose of them, but we are paying there salaries so why not :)

I'm surprised our resident bomb ordance digger Kolby hasn't replied yet. Check out Kolby72, he has found some serious bombs..

I live a bit more dangerously than you do... :lol:

When I was about 10 or 12, I had a box of 22 longs. I started taking the heads off, pouring the powder into a little pile to play with later, and then I'd smack the empty shell with a hammer - the primer would "snap" loudly like a super-cap.

I'm easily amused. :lol:

BUT!! I'm not done yet...I continued this way for a few shells, but at one point must have forgotten to dump the powder. I smacked it with the hammer, and the hammer kicked back so hard and FAST it hurt my arm! Worse, the side of my face started feeling wet. I wiped it away, and yup - you guessed - it was red. I ran to the bathroom mirror, and a tiny piece of brass was sticking out of my skin just to the right of my right eye.

It wasn't a lot of blood, and it closed quickly after I removed it with tweezers, but man....talk about feeling STUPID! It left a tiny little scar to remind me not to try that again! :lol:

Lol... I used to do that stuff too. When I was 14 or so, I used to take shotgun shells, empty the shot out, then you take a peice of paper and wrap it around the shell making a long tube with the primer end exposed. This makes it so when you throw it in the air.. it always lands on the primer end. But it won't go off like that.. you have to tape a BB to the primer, so when it hits the ground.. the bb punches into the primer, setting it off.

I did this untill one day I threw one up, and it landed on the curb pointing directly at me.. it went off.. and OUCH!.. something hit me in the chest.. hurt like hell. I pulled up my shirt to find a purple bruise. Then looked on the ground and found the plastic wadding that holds the gunpowder in. It had hit me square in the chest.. needless to say, I quit doing that.

Lol... I used to do that stuff too. When I was 14 or so, I used to take shotgun shells, empty the shot out, then you take a peice of paper and wrap it around the shell making a long tube with the primer end exposed. This makes it so when you throw it in the air.. it always lands on the primer end. But it won't go off like that.. you have to tape a BB to the primer, so when it hits the ground.. the bb punches into the primer, setting it off.

I did this untill one day I threw one up, and it landed on the curb pointing directly at me.. it went off.. and OUCH!.. something hit me in the chest.. hurt like hell. I pulled up my shirt to find a purple bruise. Then looked on the ground and found the plastic wadding that holds the gunpowder in. It had hit me square in the chest.. needless to say, I quit doing that.

:lol: we used to do something similar but we would wedge the shotgun shell between a V in a tree and then see who could shoot the primer with our BB guns... good times :lol:

Back
Top Bottom