My State DNR

rcasi44

Elite Member
Ok, I found this site for the Illinois DNR. As you can see it lists the state parks in Illinois that can be used to metal detect with a permit. I got a permit for White Pines park which is on the list with no problem. Then I went to Kankakee River Park also on the list. I showed them the web page and their answer is, "We don't care, we don't allow metal detecting". I asked how they could be be listed on the site and showed them the permit from the other state park. Their answer, " We don't care, We don't allow it". How can you win. Rob

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/landmgt/Programs/DayUse/metaldetect.htm

rcasi44 said:
Ok, I found this site for the Illinois DNR. As you can see it lists the state parks in Illinois that can be used to metal detect with a permit. I got a permit for White Pines park which is on the list with no problem. Then I went to Kankakee River Park also on the list. I showed them the web page and their answer is, "We don't care, we don't allow metal detecting". I asked how they could be be listed on the site and showed them the permit from the other state park. Their answer, " We don't care, We don't allow it". How can you win. Rob

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/landmgt/Programs/DayUse/metaldetect.htm

Hi Rob ! :grin:

Sorry you were denied permission to MD the Kankakee River Park.  :(

That's really a great information source your state provides, even though a permit is required.
If you don't mind my asking, how much did they charge for the permit ?
Also, could you offer me any suggestions on where I could check to see if my state of Ohio offers a similar info. resource ( or better yet, a link ) ? And what does DNR stand for ?

Thanks much Rob !

Oh, BTW, I like your website :D

Todd

Thanks about the site. DNR stands for Department of Natural Resources. I would just search for Ohio DNR. The permits are free. It doesn't make any difference if I can't get one. It just made me mad that the local person can ignore or interpet the laws themselves. Rob

Rob if it were me, I would go to the higher level and ask the director of the DNR why you were denied permission when it is written that you could hunt with a permit. Sounds like someone is just on a power trip, and needs a wake up call from their boss. But thats just me. ;)

I really wasn't interested in that park. I was just there and had a feeling I wasn't going to get permission. The park really doesn't have anything to offer it's just the idea in Illinois that the the authorities do as they please. Rob

I've had the same kind of trouble Rob. I assume these are State parks you are talking about. If you think that is fun wait until you try the federal land in Illinois. The give you a set of rules and say it's OK in certain areas but the rules are so vague that i could see where a game warden could interpret them several different ways.

The few reasons i haven't hunted that ground yet is #2 No digging. I could actually deal with that but my #1 reason is the one that keeps me from going. That is.......Going on a Saturday morning and being stopped by the warden and him seeing the rules differently then me and having to stay in jail till Monday morning and the probable Federal offense that would follow. You are right, it's hard to win

I agree with you yardbird, it isn't worth the argument after the second time they say they don't care. Rob

I would go over their heads altogether. Try contacting your local State Rep and/or Senator, and let them know about the problem.

Oh my friends, this is Illinois. Your chances of talking to anyone other then the politicians secretary are Slim and none and Slim just left town. :lol: Believe me when I say the secretary will know even less about it then the people at the parks.

I wrote a Senator here once and just simply asked. .......Explain to me how gun control lowers the crime rate when criminals do not follow the law anyway?

The reply was on a copied piece of paper that I assume went out to anyone asking about ANYTHING to do with guns. It was one whole page about how the Brady Bill was such a good thing and how many lives it would save. No answer at all to the question though but I just HAD to ask it. :yes:

I couldn't agree with you more Yardbyrd. Drop me a line I'd like to know where you do your hunting. Rob

rcasi44 said:
Thanks about the site. DNR stands for Department of Natural Resources. I would just search for Ohio DNR. The permits are free. It doesn't make any difference if I can't get one. It just made me mad that the local person can ignore or interpet the laws themselves. Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob. I share your sentiments regarding the local officials applying their own interpretations to the laws.
But anymore, when I get something stuck in my craw, I ask myself if the issue is worth my time, or am I better off to let
it go and move on. When in sales training many moons ago, I was advised that not all will say YES, but if I press on and make
enough contacts, I will be successful. The process of gaining permissions to MD is really about selling ourself, maintaining a
positive attitude, making lots of contacts , and letting go of disappointment, so our energies can stay focused on the goal.

(Now, if I could only practice what I preach  :roll:  ha, ha, ha)

Todd

Back
Top Bottom