Chicago Land Hunting

rcasi44

Elite Member
Well I went to the club meeting tonight and got the bad news. Someone training the new rangers and county cops are telling them that metal detecting is illegal in the 68,000 acres of the Chicago Forest Preserves. One of our members just got a ticket. Another member was told to leave. There is no law banning detectors. There is a law against digging. The authorities have never given detectors a problem before.

Even if his ticket is thrown out he still has to go to court. They have been running guys out of the Chicago city parks also. Until there is some kind of clarification the club has moved its next two hunts to the beach. Rob

I just detected once in the Cook County Forest preserves and just around the pavillions for recenty lost clad but it was a waste of time because of the trillions of beer bottle tops :( I knew it was illegal to dig so I never attempted it. At some preserves I can understand why (rare plants and such) but other areas are just mowed weeds.

I haven't attempted MD'ing at a city park yet - but then again I would probably just hit the tot lots. Stupid no digging laws *argh*

OZ, with a few hours of Seattle detecting left Wed AM before heading back to IL.

The guys get a good amount of silver on the club hunts. You are right about the pavilions. Our club treasurerjust found a $4000.00 ring in McKinley Woods. Rob

Back
Top Bottom