About Probes

ME&MYACE400

Elite Member
Well I was reading about how there is a tool called a probe, well it didn't say if it was magnetic or not or if it had a beeping detector on it like a pinpointer. Do you have one? And find it usefull?Thank you

I have used a probe since before they invented pinpointers. They come in handy where no digging is allowed. They are easy to make. I did an article on how to make them soon after I joined the forum. Do a search for 'Easy Coin Probe.'
Easy Coin Probe.gif

I made one about 40 years ago with one of my dads screw drivers. I ground the tip smooth. When I pin point, I use the probe to find the target. If it is only a few inches deep, I work my finger in the ground beside the probe. I can work it out and there it is, Another pull tab. I have never used a pin pointer. For me they are a wast of time. Many of us are old school, Back then you did not have some of the fancy things they have today...

KEN :D

This video demonstrates the use of a probe on a shallow target or in a sensitive area, such as a manicured area of a park, where a full fledged plug isn’t recommended:

I don’t have a probe, but I use a thick tent peg which I found at the beach. I sharpened it with a grinder and it works just fine. Quite sturdy and didn’t cost me anything. But you can use a flathead screwdriver too

I don’t have a probe, but I use a thick tent peg which I found at the beach. I sharpened it with a grinder and it works just fine. Quite sturdy and didn’t cost me anything. But you can use a flathead screwdriver too

I make mine from brass brazing rods. It's thin and strong and easy to push into the ground. Being brass it's softer and doesn't scratch coins as much as a harder substance.

I make mine from brass brazing rods. It's thin and strong and easy to push into the ground. Being brass it's softer and doesn't scratch coins as much as a harder substance.

I only use the probes on clad so it doesn't really matter too much if I scratch one. But I'd like to give the brass ones a go too, what thickness brass rod do you use?

I only use the probes on clad so it doesn't really matter too much if I scratch one. But I'd like to give the brass ones a go too, what thickness brass rod do you use?

What are you going by to tell clad from silver? You can't go by depth and trash near coins changes ID numbers.

What are you going by to tell clad from silver? You can't go by depth and trash near coins changes ID numbers.

I'm in Australia so most clad coins sound lower than silver coins. We don't have any silver coins circulating either, so when I'm in a new area I don't have to worry about scratching any valuable coins. Of course, scratching an 'error' coin isn't good, but I haven't found one yet and they probably would've lost their value by being so cruddy.

I have used a coin probe for as long as I can remember. My all time favorite one had a White round ball handle and was 5/32" brass. Well, as it goes, I lost it. Bummer. So I decided to replace it and was unable to find a replacement so I decided to make me some up. They have a 1.25" diameter white Ceramic ball handle and was 5/32' brass.

probe 2.jpg

I always carry my brass probe when I hunt. I made one back in 87 and I still have it and use it to this day.

After reading my own post, I gave some thought as to why I made 3 of them. My last one lasted forever, if I hadn't lost it I'd still have it. Guess I really only needed to make one.

Back
Top Bottom