Train Depot

joee5

Elite Member
Received permission during the night to hunt an old train depot.
Not around it, but inside it as the floor was removed and current owner said the floor is now dirt.
He didn't have any inside pics to show me, only outside.
I plan on going there in an hour or so.
I'll post pics from within. Hope its not a wasted drive as its about 45 minutes away.
Till later

Good Luck Joee5. Who knows what fell under the floor. This could turn out to be good.

Sounds good I can't wait to see what turns up I'd be very optimistic about this hunt depending on the age of the depot. Every time I hear about one I think of my Dad. Not to drift off topic but in the 30's my Dad and his brother both out of work had what they thought was a job in an apple orchard and wound up in Orville, Washington. They ended up stranded there and trying to come up with enough money to get home on they slept under the train depot for several days I heard the story many times growing up about the two of them carving their names in the bottom of the steps. Not long after returning my Dad's brother joined the Navy and was stationed on the battleship USS West Virginia when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. My Dad being the youngest was eventually drafted in WW-2 he landed at Utah beach during the D-Day invasion. I knew about my Uncle Jack and Pearl harbor growing up but never knew about my Dad and D-day until after he died and going through his stuff he never mentioned it. Sorry to ramble and hope I didn't bore you.

Joee5, good luck ! I have done good at old buildings crawl-spaces, where floors have been removed for some sort of alteration/renovation purposes. Or just urban demoltion where you can access that. Or even having crawled/scuttled underneath them while the floor still intact ! :wow:

Reasons for coins getting under floors are varied, but it never ceases to amaze me how many coins, that post-date a buildings construction, get underneath. One big reason is drip-grates: In an era before indoor plumbing, proprietor's of buildings would put drip grates in their floors, which could allow harmless dripping through the sub-floor. Like for under the old-time ice-boxes (precursors to refrigerators), that had real ice in them (before modern electrical frige's). And thus coins could fall through that way, as those grates would also double as a convenient place to sweep the floors to.

You can always tell when you've hit upon such a spot, because there'll be other lint, litter, paper, and odd-ball things like dice, peanut shells, bottle caps, etc.... there.

I would sift the top layers of dirt around the foundation inside after detecting it if he doesn't care. Its amazing what nuggetnoggin finds by sifting that he can't find with a detector in those iron riddled sites.

Good luck!
G2M

Now this has potential. :cool:

I wonder how much area Joe has to work?

Are we talking like a Grand Central Station or some little Podunck kind of place?

If the floor had gaps there has to be some kind of rewards there.

I'm excited! :yes:

Good luck with your adventure !!

Good luck man. Will be waiting for a report.....:yes:

Good Luck Joee5. Who knows what fell under the floor. This could turn out to be good.

Yeah, this could be REALLY good! Better get some popcorn ready for when he checks back in!
Mud

Sounds good I can't wait to see what turns up I'd be very optimistic about this hunt depending on the age of the depot. Every time I hear about one I think of my Dad. Not to drift off topic but in the 30's my Dad and his brother both out of work had what they thought was a job in an apple orchard and wound up in Orville, Washington. They ended up stranded there and trying to come up with enough money to get home on they slept under the train depot for several days I heard the story many times growing up about the two of them carving their names in the bottom of the steps. Not long after returning my Dad's brother joined the Navy and was stationed on the battleship USS West Virginia when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. My Dad being the youngest was eventually drafted in WW-2 he landed at Utah beach during the D-Day invasion. I knew about my Uncle Jack and Pearl harbor growing up but never knew about my Dad and D-day until after he died and going through his stuff he never mentioned it. Sorry to ramble and hope I didn't bore you.

Joee5, good luck ! I have done good at old buildings crawl-spaces, where floors have been removed for some sort of alteration/renovation purposes. Or just urban demoltion where you can access that. Or even having crawled/scuttled underneath them while the floor still intact ! :wow:

Reasons for coins getting under floors are varied, but it never ceases to amaze me how many coins, that post-date a buildings construction, get underneath. One big reason is drip-grates: In an era before indoor plumbing, proprietor's of buildings would put drip grates in their floors, which could allow harmless dripping through the sub-floor. Like for under the old-time ice-boxes (precursors to refrigerators), that had real ice in them (before modern electrical frige's). And thus coins could fall through that way, as those grates would also double as a convenient place to sweep the floors to.

You can always tell when you've hit upon such a spot, because there'll be other lint, litter, paper, and odd-ball things like dice, peanut shells, bottle caps, etc.... there.

Must be doing good he's about 4 hours into it.

I would sift the top layers of dirt around the foundation inside after detecting it if he doesn't care. Its amazing what nuggetnoggin finds by sifting that he can't find with a detector in those iron riddled sites.

Good luck!
G2M

Now this has potential. :cool:

I wonder how much area Joe has to work?

Are we talking like a Grand Central Station or some little Podunck kind of place?

If the floor had gaps there has to be some kind of rewards there.

I'm excited! :yes:

Gluck Joe, sounds like a dream hunt!

Just got back. I gave it an hour and so much debris caused my XLT to overload constantly to the point that she shutdown a few times. I even tried to shovel away a layer but whatevers in the ground made her go nuts.
Outside is all gravel and "hot rocks" which also caused the XLT to go crazy. At this point I was going crazy too.
I may return next week after I do some research and figure out how to hunt it.
Twelve cents total for my effort and a modern key
A few pic of the inside and you see what I had to deal with.....

I would take a garden rake and clean the surface off some. Mask out iron and your still going to get a workout. Grid a small section at a time. Good Luck man!

Looks like a job for a 77b , or a silver sabre, or a shadow x2. An XLT is NOT a "ghost-townsy" machine for sites like that.

Use a 4 in coil on the Xlt. Rake top layer of debri then detect then screen it an detect some more. HH phil

Back
Top Bottom