MD'ing " ist verboten "

roadrunner_426

Elite Member
The city parks over here have been off limits for MD'ing for about 20 years . I recently heard that the ban now includes all city property , which effectively leaves local hobbyists about 3 choices....head out of town and burn a little of that $3 gas looking for a place without a ban...search the 'ol back yard for the 100th time.., or, ignore the ordinance and take your chances..so far I've opted for the latter..up until the parks and school yards were posted I'd hunted both for years ; I remember the week they were put off limits and I know why . A group of teenage boys were going around with a detector and full size shovels making the grounds look like artillery ranges . instead of prosecuting the boys for vandalism , the powers that be decided to outlaw meal detectors on park property . i was detecting at the city's oldest park last Friday for about 6 hours ; it's located on the edge of the "hood " and isn't used for much these days except women's industrial league softball , a little drug dealing, and as a place for the young folks to drink and " get busy " after dark...didn't really feel like I was going to do any real damage to the place with my screwdriver...during part of my time there I saw 2 different cop cars parked across the street, but neither officer bothered me in any way...I really don't think the police are going to bother me when it's pretty obvious that I'm not doing any damage..frankly , I'm thinking that at worst, I may be told to move on...in fact that's what happened on Sunday at the park in the " Moneyville " section of town ; even that was a park employee however and not an officer..having said that, I'll probably run into Barney Fife my next time out and end up with the $50 fine AND the 30 day jail time .I'm very curious to hear if other forum members have ever actually been charged with anything as a result of their MD'ing activities.. HH Roadrunner_426

Where in God's green acre are you? Laws here are a bit different. Even if they were like yours, I would have fought it under the circumstanses. " Sir, I am here digging 4" holes in the ground for a nicklle, why don't you acost those who are really breaking the law"? If the "cop:" doesn't lke it, I get a free meal and a nights stay at the local : Hanoi Hilton". Don't mean nothin.

Well I would hate to see you get in trouble. BUT, maybe some trouble would bring this to light and open up the lines of dialogue with the city or whever you live. Have you ever thought of going to the town and see what is really the scoop on this and what the consequences are if any?

I can't hunt in our city parks either. It has nothing to do with MD damage that has been done. It's like not being able to hunt on some beaches while people without detectors being allowed to dig in the sand all they want. Rob

Beautiful eastern North Carolina...there are many towns and cities around these parts with similar ordinances . Actually, it has occurred to me to attend a city council meeting and bring the topic up for discussion...but realistically, I've been around long enough to know that not much gets done around here ( or anywhere else for that matter ) unless you're a member of the Country Club set, or willing to grease somebody's palm with a little cash..or both .. Roadrunner_426

Even though you may not be of the county club set I think you have to try to get the city counsel to change it's mind and keep trying for that matter. Who knows, they may give in eventually. As for the laws themselves. You know them therefore it's your choice to deal with the consequences if you're caught whether the ordinance (edited) or not. Which I think such ordinances do (edited).

I would suggest that you check with a local club on their feelings/findings on the subject. Our club here trys hard to promote the hobby and is involved in trying to open back up closed places. Also going to the town and getting the written ordinance/law should help you understand more about it. Going against the law will only bring to light how "bad" we treasure hunters really are and just give others towns/areas reason to ban us also. :(

roadrunner_426 said:
Beautiful eastern North Carolina...there are many towns and cities around these parts with similar ordinances . Actually, it has occurred to me to attend a city council meeting and bring the topic up for discussion...but realistically, I've been around long enough to know that not much gets done around here ( or anywhere else for that matter ) unless you're a member of the Country Club set, or willing to grease somebody's palm with a little cash..or both .. Roadrunner_426

Attend a council meeting and ask why, but first get a copy of the rules. You have a 50% chance of getting it changed, if in fact, they have it on paper. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
pop

Long
Years ago in the city I lived in all the parks were closed to Mding. I was the President of the local metal detecting club and thought this is nuts and for what reason would there be no metal detecting in parks. People were golfing in them making divits, playing football in the wet grass and really tearing it up. And when the city used the parks for shows etc, they were pretty messed up afterwards. So why no metal detecting?
I approached the parks commission. This was the old boys network at it's best. I was welcomed like the plague and told to bring my concerns to the city council meeting. At the meeting I got up made my pitch and told them that target recovery in a clean and respectful manner was at the heart of our hobby. We were proud of our parks just like normal people :lol: were.
They said they would take it under consideration. Well time after time and a few more meetings I was getting the BS run around with these guys and could tell they were having a good laugh at my expense. So that was it. I called the mayors office told them who I was and booked a meeting with the mayor. It went well in fact so well the parks were opened on a temporary April - November trail period and are now fully open to metal detecting whenever anyone wants to and have been for many years.
So start at the bottom and work your way up. Don't jump up the ladder to fast. You have to talk to the people as you go up the line of command. Because if you don't it will be a setback as they will just tell you to talk to so and so. I had already exhausted everyone and the mayor(everyones boss) was the next person in the chain.

It seems you went about things the right way Jeff, and got a good result.
Trouble is, all it takes is one idiot to start leaving unfilled holes, and you are back where you started from. One of their concerns may be that a detectorist leaves a hole, someone comes along, has an accident, then sues the local council.
Who in turn could sue the detectorist (if known).

Another good reason for being insured.

Sounds like good advice...I'll see if I can get a paper copy of the ordinance and go from there..Jeff's plan might work at that, and like Pop says, " nothing ventured, nothing gained "...probably be worth the time and effort just to hear their reasons for implementing the orinance in the first place.I'll guarantee it'll be some noble & high sounding B.S. with the community's best interests at heart..NO DOUBT ! HH Roadrunner_426

Just read Alan's post after I'd posted my last one , and he makes a couple of very good points..maybe the best solution would be to have the parks open to MD'ing by permit only ; like a hunting licenSe issued by the rec. dept.....they could then at least have some control over who would be digging/probing on public property..as for the liabilty in case of an accident caused by disturbed ground , I've got a feeling i may hear that again at the council meeting ; and that's onm reason that might actually be legitimate...I've heard it suggested that one reason for bans is the danger of hitting and puncturing gas or electric lines ; i think you mIght just as easily do that driving a stake in the ground for horseshoes...far as I know there's no horseshoe ban... Roadrunner_426

Right and who is to say every hole found was by a metal detector user? As long as they know your being responsible and have a control/training thing going it is saleable proposition.

Back
Top Bottom