• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

etrac deep and fast settings

Running you disc set 28 down is very good idea. I have dug good silver coins and one silver ring all deep that rang up down on the 27 line. I believe in Mr Sabisch's etrac book, he comments on this very thing. Cheers.

I was "trying" be funny. But I knew the more processes the slower the sweep. But like I've said before. I didn't notice much if any difference with deep on/off or fast on/off when I first got the machine. Maybe now I can? I know when I first started I had deep on and fast off. I was pretty successful running like this. Then I switched fast on /deep on and continued my success. I've said this before - you can screw up a lot of the etrac settings but the machine will not deny you deep copper or silver.

I agree there isn't much of a difference either way. I've had great success with both off but like you said you switched to something different and do great with it as well. I think the most important thing is running low discrimination, high sensitivity, and knowing your signals...

I plan to run some test with the E-trac with various settings, as well as some comparison videos of it with my V3i and F75 as soon as the weather breaks. I'm curious to see which goes deepest in my soil, as well as how various settings affect performance. Hopefully I can grab a better camera soon.

So cutaplug you don't use either setting. What about when you do hunt a medium to high trash area. Is the only difference that you turn the fast on? I have been experimenting with a new technique for high trash areas. Using the stock coil I run the sensitivity in manual around 25-27. The auto sens goes very low when lots of targets are under the coil cutting depth to just a few inches. Using TTF with an open screen and high sens. I am only looking for a good tone only. I feel it helps see past the surface trash. When I get a good tone I change the sens to auto and play with the target as usual trying figure out if it is good or iron falsing. I use the tone for pinpointing at different sweep angles. Pinpointing as usual does not work in high trash. I used this technique to pull out a merc and 3 Wheaties in an area I had hunted in auto sens. Next I will try this technique with my 6" DD coiltek coil.

So cutaplug you don't use either setting. What about when you do hunt a medium to high trash area. Is the only difference that you turn the fast on? I have been experimenting with a new technique for high trash areas. Using the stock coil I run the sensitivity in manual around 25-27. The auto sens goes very low when lots of targets are under the coil cutting depth to just a few inches. Using TTF with an open screen and high sens. I am only looking for a good tone only. I feel it helps see past the surface trash. When I get a good tone I change the sens to auto and play with the target as usual trying figure out if it is good or iron falsing. I use the tone for pinpointing at different sweep angles. Pinpointing as usual does not work in high trash. I used this technique to pull out a merc and 3 Wheaties in an area I had hunted in auto sens. Next I will try this technique with my 6" DD coiltek coil.

In a medium trash site I run the exact same settings as a low trash site, fast off, deep off and usually manual 27 sensitivity with a large coil. I slow down a little bit. If it's like medium/high I'll use a stock coil.

In a high trash area I use a whole different strategy and turn fast on but leave deep off. I also switch to a 6x8 butterfly coil and use a really slow sweep speed.

It really all depends on the threshold as to my sweep speed and coil size. I usually just feel the site out and try to get some type of threshold either by slowing down or using a smaller coil.

Af far as TTF it depends on the type of trash really. If it's a ton of modern trash I usually stick to conductive. If it's an old site with lots of rusty nails I'll go to TTF. Also depends on how lazy I am that day. If it's really nice and I have a lot of patience I'll be more likely to use a wide open TTF :D

Back
Top Bottom