Any way to date a key ?

X

Xray

[Wisecracks welcome]

Found this key today about 5 inches under, rang up as a dime.
Was about to trash it, as keys generally do not interest me, but as I brushed off some crud I could tell it was not even close to modern.
Cleaning it up further, I was pleased to see that 4 letter F word, Ford, pop out.
On the other side is what appears to be 5?
The head of the key has a cool bumpy lizzard skin pattern on it, and what struck me as unusual, or at least something I have never seen on a car key, is only one side is groved, the other is smooth.
Pre 60's that I am sure of, more than likely pre 50's - Unless the 5? signifies 1950 something.
How much further back than that, I would like to know.

Attachments

• keyf.JPG
    keyf.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 181
  • keyb.JPG
    keyb.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 171
Evidently there seems to be a market for old keys if one is for sale on E-bay so that make your key a nice find! Good luck on dating it!

Apparently "53" means 1953.

Obvious is not always correct - Seems very likely this is a model T key, which would put its vintage well before the 50's.
This seller http://tinyurl.com/2y2jdn has 4 of them for auction, ranging from #56 to #74.
What the significance of the numbers are in relation to the vehicles that they started I have yet to find out, maybe I'll ask that seller.

I have been informed that this key is for a 1926 model T, if indeed it is a #53.
Still looks to me like the second number can be a 3, 6 or 8.

Oh, I see now. The number corespondes to the type of starter on the car. You learn something everyday!

Back
Top Bottom