1777 USA Military Button

ktsamis

Was out trying my new DFX the past few days and found a few plain buttons and arrowhead. Also found this button today stamped 1777 USA with the rope around it. The shank in the back is intact and in pretty good condition. Anyone know any history on it? Haven't found too much on the internet. Can anyone refer me to a good web page? Both of these items were found at that old foundation at my parents home here in CT.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00509.jpg
    DSC00509.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 350
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 359
wow incredible find Ktsamis , how deep and what did the vdi show you ?hey are you sure its a rope an not a snake biting its tail? treasure that one its worth alot , congrats my friend because thats what its all about

Thanks..I checked that RELICMAN.COM website and they only had Civil War buttons. I'm still very new with the DFX so I've been digging eveything. Literally I have bags of nails! I had given up on the VDI #'s since nails were even giving me the "good sound" to dig. The DFX was on the Coin/Jewelry Mode and just kept giving my the $1.00 Icon. I dug, couldn't find anything. Tried to PP it, lost the signal. Moved more rocks and this came rolling out between two rocks. I've posted some of the other odd pieces. I kept thinking "Please don't be another button!" I've dug quite a few plain, unmarked buttons and thought I was wasting my time. Any other website suggestions?

That button resembles the Continental Army button, however the lettering isn't quite right and they didn't have a year in them. At least not the ones I've found from the web. Is it cast button? If I'd have to guess I'd say it is newer than 1777..say a civilian button made to resemble the army button. What's the size of this button..somehow it looks awfully small.

Voriax

Someone just sent me some info on the Continental Army General Service Button:

"The most commonly seen size is 19mm and probably accounts for 80% of the known examples. Among numerous variations of this buttons type are some which are very rare and valuable. In addition to the letters USA, these variants bear additional markings on the face such as "1777", "NY" (New York) or "NC" (North Carolina). By 1779, the USA button became the official button of the Continental Army and its use was widespread. Examples of these buttons have been found on many American military sites used from 1777 to 1783. (Note: buttons bearing only the letters "US" are post Revolutionary War.) "

Ahhh...well no surprise I didn't find a pic of that kind of a button. If it really is a genuine article it's very valuable, couple thousand $ if not more. :shock:

Voriax

This is just a couple of more things from the day...

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 334
I soaked it olve oil overnight and it looks a little better. I can't figure out yet what is stamped on the back.

1777.jpg

back.jpg

the rest of those finds date around the late 1700's (nice whizzer by the way)
that would suggest the military button is authentic . could you get a closeup of the back cause i don't see any backmarks, just the turret where the shank would go . from the looks of it you have a good site to keep hitting , congrats

I'm having Don Troiani look at this weekend hopefully to authenticate it and appraise it. I hear some were found at Valley Forge but haven't seen any pictures of them. Can anyone direct me to any online photos? Did they have the year stamped on it or NC? I know there were some posted with USA but I've been doing a google search for 1777 Revolutionary Button's but haven't come across any good pictures.
I'll post the pictures of the back more clearly. There is something stamped on the back but I would have to scrub it to see it. I'll post the shank area and the area that is stamped .

I have a feeling if that button authenticates you will have paid for your detector with only one find. WOW! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom