1/2 Reale?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I'm sure this is my oldest coin but I have no idea the possible date. I found this some time back in our local park which happens to also be the location of one of the oldest crossings off the Santa Fe trail. Known to be used as far back as 1821.

I'm trying to nail down a possible date.

reale.jpg

That's a "milled bust dollar". They were minted in the time period of 1771 to 1825. Spanish colonial coin, might be 8 reales. What's the diameter? According to one online source these kind of coins were legal currency in the US until 1857. This example sure has seen some wear but a nice find nevertheless.

Voriax

I think it's a 1 reale, found 2 of these so far. They are a size of a quarter but very thin. Here is a pic with better detail.

Attachments

• hispan.jpg
    hispan.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 460
  • hispan1782.jpg
    hispan1782.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 373
I'm not sure how consistent they were with stamping coins back then but my guys head looks to be a different shape. Especially the back of the head is more rounded. Carolus III ?

They were not very consistent, that's why it could be a 2 or 1 reale...size did vary quite a lot and different mints produced different quality coins.
Carolus III = Charles III, king of Spain 1759 - 1788.

Voriax

Thanks all. It must be a 2 Reale because it's bigger than a quarter. I was just curious if the bust, or whats left of it, might give a closer indication of the date. I'd like to think it's from the 1700's and my first but I would rather know for sure.

reale2.jpg

Detector, you just have to dig up a better quality example :yes:

It is probably impossible to date it exactly. Kings that reigned in Spain during this era and minted this type of coin were Charles III, Charles IV and Ferdinand VII. I do not think it's a F. VII coin as the bust looks quite different. As for the other two, there is some difference between them but not much. And as C. IV coins were struck with the older C. III bust it'll confuse matters even more. So, we are talking 1808 or earlier but I would not like to hazard to guess a precise year.

Spanish ebay lists plenty of these coins, with pics so you could do some checking and form your own opinion. Use Carlos and Fernando as names of the kings.

Voriax

milled dollars

really nice find for the central states, we don't get many of them...

Attachments

• smilled-crop-f.JPG
    smilled-crop-f.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom