Help date glass and iron lock

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I found this stuff on an old farm around some concrete that was made out of cement and pebbles. The glass has lots of large bubbles and a thick, high standing casting line. A few yards away I detected this iron lock. Its looks like the kind of lock that used a large iron key. There is writing on the lock but I cant read it. Does anyone know the age of these things? Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0572.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0572.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 208
  • thumbnail_IMG_0573.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0573.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 190
  • thumbnail_IMG_0574.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0574.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 191
  • thumbnail_IMG_0576.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0576.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 193
  • thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 192
Thank you. You informed me that it is called a rim lock and that specific search term allowed me to find the exact lock in new condition. I have the patent date of this lock. Does anyone know where and how I can look it up?

Attachments

• rim-lock-16.jpg
    rim-lock-16.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 215
  • thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 171
The patent office website can give you the year of the patent, but that will not give you a year of manufacture. That style of lock was used for many years, and could have been deposited at any point. I actually took a few to the scrap yard a year or two ago.

The bottle stopper is more interesting.

I actually have a brand new one similar to that still in the box. It was bought to replace one on my grandmother's house years ago but they replaced the whole door instead.

Cliff

1869 or after but before 1902

Not 2002
You can still get them but they are recovered from old homes and etc not brand new.
I better keep the one I have for an investment as it is new in box and not a repro. They date later than 1902 as the house the old lock was on was not built until 1929 and the one I have was bought in the 60's.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom