What is this? Has eagle on it.

Sjcstro

osgx3n.jpg

a12v6w.jpg

Called a Woggle.
Boy scouts, cub scouts, girl scouts, webelos, tiger cubs, bear cubs and all different levels and divisions have their own designs
Lots of history for all types of these things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woggle

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20121105025028/http://cubclub.tripod.com/

On Antiques Road show some girl showed up with a hand carved wood antique collection she bought for $1 at a flea market.
She figured she could spare a buck to instantly own a collection of...something.
When the expert told her that collection was actually worth about $1000 she almost fell on the floor.
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/06/...ll-fortune/20913962/#slide=2711576|fullscreen

Yep..Its called a 'Woggle'..for some strange reason....pretty poor design too...always losing woggles running around snipe hunting...had to buy another from the PX all the time to be in uniform...:laughing: A good find though! Congratulations on that Woggle!
Mud

Yep..Its called a 'Woggle'..for some strange reason....pretty poor design too...always losing woggles running around snipe hunting...had to buy another from the PX all the time to be in uniform...:laughing: A good find though! Congratulations on that Woggle!
Mud

I spent many years in the scouts, nobody referred to it as a 'woggle', either in my troop or at camp. It was always just a neckerchief slide. Someone calling it a woggle would likely have been laughed at.

I spent many years in the scouts, nobody referred to it as a 'woggle', either in my troop or at camp. It was always just a neckerchief slide. Someone calling it a woggle would likely have been laughed at.

Same here.... Not saying it isn't called that, might be a regional, or more recent term.

We called them neckerchief slides too...

It is a cool find...

Not being mean or sarcastic here, but I feel sorry for anyone who never got to wear one....

Origins of the woggle...

Early Scouts tied a knot in their neckerchief (scarf) to fasten it around the neck. In the United States, experiments were made with rings made from bone, rope or wood.

A young Australian Scout, Bill Shankley, who was responsible for running a workshop and developing ideas for camping equipment at Gilwell Park, became aware of the American rings, and set out to create something similar. The result was the Gilwell Woggle.

On the origin of the Woggle, Shankley said:

They used to knot their scarves, which used to get creased and stick out at the ends. But in America the early scouts used to plait up various stuffs to make a ring for theirs — they called it a boon-doggle. I got some thin sewing machine leather belting, plaited it into a neat ring, submitted it, and had it accepted. I called it a Woggle and that’s the name it’s known by throughout the world.

History

The earliest known reference to a Woggle is the June 1923 edition of The Scout. The term was quickly applied to other designs of fastener, of many shapes and sizes, and is today used around the world.

The word ring was used in editions of the Scouting handbook Scouting for Boys until 1929 when Baden-Powell changed it in the 14th edition:

It [the scarf] may be fastened at the throat by a knot or woggle, which is some form of ring made of cord, metal or bone, or anything you like.

Origins of the woggle...

Early Scouts tied a knot in their neckerchief (scarf) to fasten it around the neck. In the United States, experiments were made with rings made from bone, rope or wood.

A young Australian Scout, Bill Shankley, who was responsible for running a workshop and developing ideas for camping equipment at Gilwell Park, became aware of the American rings, and set out to create something similar. The result was the Gilwell Woggle.

On the origin of the Woggle, Shankley said:

They used to knot their scarves, which used to get creased and stick out at the ends. But in America the early scouts used to plait up various stuffs to make a ring for theirs — they called it a boon-doggle. I got some thin sewing machine leather belting, plaited it into a neat ring, submitted it, and had it accepted. I called it a Woggle and that’s the name it’s known by throughout the world.

History

The earliest known reference to a Woggle is the June 1923 edition of The Scout. The term was quickly applied to other designs of fastener, of many shapes and sizes, and is today used around the world.

The word ring was used in editions of the Scouting handbook Scouting for Boys until 1929 when Baden-Powell changed it in the 14th edition:

It [the scarf] may be fastened at the throat by a knot or woggle, which is some form of ring made of cord, metal or bone, or anything you like.

Anyone can quote wikipedia (verbatim, as you have). I've still never heard a scout use that term.

Webelos rank .

1st Tiger pack
2nd Wolf pack
3rd Bear pack
4th Webelos

Then boy scouts, ranks start from
boy scout
Tenderfoot
second class
first class
star scout
life scout
Eagle scout
Arrow of Life

Webelos rank .

1st Tiger pack
2nd Wolf pack
3rd Bear pack
4th Webelos

boy scout
Tenderfoot
second class
first class
star scout
life scout
Eagle scout
Arrow of Life

I remember the Cub Scouts...

Who else remembers the "Bobcat Pin"?

Worn upside down until you performed a good deed(verified by you parents, if I remember correctly). Then, after the good deed, it turned upright!

Both of my boys were in the scouts and EVERYONE referred to them as slides.
Maybe we are just ignorant??

Kerchief slide
from Webelos scouting rank
Webelos hidden meaning; We'll Be Loyal Scouts
or................................... Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scouts

Webelos rank .

1st Tiger pack
2nd Wolf pack
3rd Bear pack
4th Webelos

boy scout
Tenderfoot
second class
first class
star scout
life scout
Eagle scout
Arrow of Life

You mean Arrow of Light, and it was not a higher rank than Eagle. It is a separate award you earn in Webelos, and can wear on your Boy Scout uniform. Eagle scout is the highest rank in boy scouts.

Edit- You can also earn Eagle Palms, but they are not really a higher rank, just a sign you've gone above and beyond the basic Eagle requirements.

Anyone can quote wikipedia (verbatim, as you have). I've still never heard a scout use that term.

Calm down...not calling you out, just putting down information others might be interested even if you're not.
I enjoy learning new things and the history about the items I find...anytime, and appreciate anyone that adds to that knowledge.
Thought the OP might want to know more about this thing.
Similar information on many scout specific related sites also so the term is known by some.
So you've never heard of that term, I believe you, big deal...life goes on.

I'm curious to know where the OP lives that s/he doesn't recognize a neckerchief slide. No offense intended, just pure curiosity. :?:

Back
Top Bottom