places to detect??

stevep128

I live in Rhode Island and am fairly new to detecting and looking for places to detect. I have only done parks and the beach once. Hopefully you can give me some locations and would love for you to come detect with me.

Thanks,

Steve

Yep, you are obviously new...good luck with that request.

Do you want a spot with just colonial coppers or do you prefer colonial silvers ? Do you have an age of finds of preferrence ?

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of replies of people willing to share their hard earned private hunting sites with you. Do you know that most sites produce only a few if only coins per site ? Some sites NONE !

It is very easy to learn to beep and dig, but the real skill is to leanr is to find productive sites. I got to say as you are a newb. I understand asking for, but anyone with a decent site is NOT going to give it away to you just for the asking.

Honestly good luck out there, but at the same time good sites are hard to come by, and then you need to get a yes on permission on top of that. Best of luck out there.

Hi,
I am in Warwick and close to you and would like to get together with you sometime to detect. I am retired and free really any day. Yes I saw that are you going?

I have not found too many places here in RI, mainly parks and beach but have not been doing this that long either.

AT PRO, Ace 250

Newbie, yes, understand what you are saying yes, and know that there are people out there willing to get together to detect even if it isn't "Prime Territory" but ty for your response. A lot of it is making new friends and enjoying the day together detecting.

Newbie, yes, understand what you are saying yes, and know that there are people out there willing to get together to detect even if it isn't "Prime Territory" but ty for your response. A lot of it is making new friends and enjoying the day together detecting.

I agree with you Steve, I enjoy hunting with my best digging bud ZDD, and I think it more fun than hunting alone with no one to share the thrill of the find with. But I also know 500 other hunters who have no intention of sharing a site or a hunt...which is sad, as most we find has little real value, and therefore the friendship is worth way more. IMO.

Hi,
I am in Warwick and close to you and would like to get together with you sometime to detect. I am retired and free really any day. Yes I saw that are you going?

I have not found too many places here in RI, mainly parks and beach but have not been doing this that long either.

AT PRO, Ace 250

I'm gonna be there. Unsure if I'll stay all day though. I have bad back issues (old car accident issues)and while I have fun digging I can only do it for so long, but I want to meet some people.
I'm mainly trying out local parks and schools atm, cleared it with the town hall so Seekonk is safe to dig.
It's a big event this weekend with lots of folks so I'm hoping to meet and make some connections so I have a group to go with in the future. Also there's a group that meets in Tauton MA. They actually have a meeting tonight, I'm going there to check it out. http://www.silvercitytreasureseekers.net/

The meeting in Tauton is free to show up as a guest and decide if you want to join the group. The event on Sunday is $40. Both seem pretty cool and I'm excited to check them out. Let me know if you're gonna go. :grin:

I can not make it Sunday, family obligation, but hope to make future events. I know it is going to be a great time. Let me know when the next meeting is in Taunton and I will make a point of going...I can do places in your town....

Good luck Sunday and let me know how you make out... ;-)

They meet the first Friday of every month and they post the date on their webpage.

We'll figure something out and try digging in Seekonk. :grin:

If you were in Georgia I would share some great spots.

I never mind sharing. It's fun to see what others find too....

Plus since I don't make my living metal detecting so what's the point of being selfish? ;-)

If you were in Georgia I would share some great spots.

I never mind sharing. It's fun to see what others find too....

Plus since I don't make my living metal detecting so what's the point of being selfish? ;-)

Kind of a blanket statement. I think it depends on the "spot". Some guy's, myself included, spend weeks if not months researching a given location. Old maps, old books, finding the current owners and procuring permission. Some of these "spots" go back to the late 1600's. After all that, I'd frankly be upset if I brought along some new guy, who didn't put any effort into the location, and they popped out the only spanish silver coin on the property. Not thinkin that's "selfish".
Simple parks, curb strips or fields, I'd invite someone interested along, and have.

Kind of a blanket statement. I think it depends on the "spot". Some guy's, myself included, spend weeks if not months researching a given location. Old maps, old books, finding the current owners and procuring permission. Some of these "spots" go back to the late 1600's. After all that, I'd frankly be upset if I brought along some new guy, who didn't put any effort into the location, and they popped out the only spanish silver coin on the property. Not thinkin that's "selfish".
Simple parks, curb strips or fields, I'd invite someone interested along, and have.

And that's cool too...

But I'd be happy if someone pulled a cool coin or relic off of a spot I found. But again for me it's the adventure of it all. And sharing it is as much or more fun for me.
I do the same with gold prospecting. I have taken guys to some good spots and let them run my dredge then given them all the gold too.... It was just great to be out there. And those are some of my most fond memories.

Sure I have pulled some cool stuff all by myself. But the ones I remember most is when I have brought people along and let them hunt.

I can't take these items with me but the memories and friends will last forever.

Just me I guess.

I understand fully when a lot of work goes into research a hunter will not bring anyone to that spot but what I am saying is it doesn't have to be secret, meeting in a public place to dig and make friends is what it is all about and really feeling glad that the person you are detecting with does come up with a great find....

JC, you never know I might come down visit you go out hunting and maybe find a cannon ball, would love to do a battle site, lol!!!

JC, you never know I might come down visit you go out hunting and maybe find a cannon ball, would love to do a battle site, lol!!!

Anytime...

I'm not sure I can get you on a battlefield but I can get you on some old home sights and a few parks that have been around since the late 1800's.

I'm working on permission from an old hospital site that might very well have seen service during the civil war. Excited to see if I can get a yes.

thanks JC...that would be a good dig...where abouts in Ga. are you? And it would be great to go to another state, meet you and go digging....will keep you posted....

Back
Top Bottom