Old Play Money Coin ?? Picture of back added

CopyTech99

Elite Member
Not the merc.

I have had this a while and thought I would post it up. It came from an old (still in use) school grounds. Mine !

It has a chewed up portion, and it looks as if it was maybe pressed using fine metal particles. I noticed this time I took it out it has a brass color mixed in those exposed areas.

I have searched quite a bit looking for vintage play coins and have found nadda.

Anyone ever come across metal play coins ??

Thanks for looking !

Edit: you can see the copper/brass color on the chewed up edges in the back picture.

Attachments

• 38%.JPG
    38%.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,638
  • 39% II.JPG
    39% II.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,348
Last edited:
That doesn't look like play money to me - it looks an awful lot like an ancient coin (Greek or Roman?). Maybe a kid brought it in for show-n-tell and dropped it in the schoolyard? Cool find for sure!

I found out a Peso I have from the 50's had silver content in it from here and also I look up many foreign coins my In-laws have saved from the mother-country a surrounding areas.

It looks like it *could* be a roman republican coin, but if it's showing copper/brass, it could be a fouree (not sure I spelled it right). Then again, it could be a tourist copy, but I can't tell from the picture. I would need front and back photos to tell better.

-- Tom

It looks like it *could* be a roman republican coin, but if it's showing copper/brass, it could be a fouree (not sure I spelled it right). Then again, it could be a tourist copy, but I can't tell from the picture. I would need front and back photos to tell better.

-- Tom

This is the guy who will know!! Let's see the obverse of that coin!

BTW, a fouree is an ancient counterfeit, quite common in roman times. They would take a copper or bronze blank and coat it with silver to try and pass it off as a real denarius.

-- Tom

It looks roman republic, but someone would need to have it in hand to make sure. I can't rule out a tourist copy, but some ancient silver coins have a tendancy to crystallize and become brittle, to the point that they break if dropped on a hard surface. I'll have to check my references to see if I can identify the type (or the type it is copying).

-- Tom

It looks roman republic, but someone would need to have it in hand to make sure.
-- Tom

Would you be willing to take a look at it for me...?

I will get it down to you, and include some cash to cover return postage if it is something you are interested in doing.

Thanks,

Would you be willing to take a look at it for me...?

I will get it down to you, and include some cash to cover return postage if it is something you are interested in doing.

Thanks,

A better option would be to go to a local/regional coin show and check with the dealers there. Be sure to look for someone dealing in ancient coins. If there aren't going to be any coin shows nearby in the near future, I could look at it, but since I'm not a dealer, and my specialty isn't the roman republic, I could only give you an educated guess.

-- Tom

Better View of back

Here is a better shot at the reverse of coin, you can see some of the color in areas as well.

Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• modified%2035.jpg
    modified%2035.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 943
Here's a possibility: Roman republican denarius, issued by P. Clodius. 42 BC

C0959.jpg

Whether your coin is contemporary fake or not I leave that to Achaios :)

You nailed it !!

Glad I got that better shot of reverse (new camera)

Thank you for posting the information.

WOW! You think it's real????

We found 2 Roman coins on a beach in Connecticut. Strange!

WOW! You think it's real????

I have my doubts that it is real, the makeup is more of a compressed powdered metal material. You can kind of see it in the photos. (where the gold color shows)

Found it within my 1st month of detecting.

I have my doubts that it is real, the makeup is more of a compressed powdered metal material. You can kind of see it in the photos. (where the gold color shows)

Found it within my 1st month of detecting.

Old silver will crystallize and become brittle. Many silver ancient coins have broken because of this. Old copper, I'm not so sure about, but I have a coin of Tigranes the Great that has oxidized all the way through and broken, and it is bronze. Also, tin alloys are subject to something called "tin disease", where it will turn white and powdery. It could be a pewter fake, and I really don't know how to tell if it is modern or ancient.

Interesting find, though.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom