Military Button ID

ksdiver

I found eight of these buttons in the same general area at an old pond I've been detecting. Someone must have lost their coat! The buttons are very corroded on the back side and only two have the thread loop. All were 8 inches or more deep.

I found a few on the internet that resemble the ones I found, but have been unable to get a good date range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 310
Well I found out on another forum that is most definetley Marine Corp.
Still not sure of the year though.

Afaik Marines have had a globe, eagle and fouled anchor in their button since mid 19th century. Your button looks like a Union navy button, although the eagle is bit odd. But there were quite a few different designs and quite different looking eagles.

Voriax

edit. Heh...and almost immediately after posting I found a pic of practically similar button. And USMC web page states that the globe was added in 1868, so your buttons would then be older than that.

Thanks Voriax.
I was almost sure it was Navy, but after seeing many of the Marine Corp variants, It's got to be USMC. Anyway, here is the whole lot I found...

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 275
Great to see another XLT user finding so GREAT stuff!! Congrats!

HH, Hank

Definitely Marine Corps buttons

From a male Marine dress blues jacket. The bigger buttons are from the front, the smaller button is either from the sleeves or the pockets.

The technical USMC nomenclature: BUTTON, INSIGNIA, GOLD, DRESS BLUE

Pinning down the year is the difficult part. That particular button design has been in use since 1804.

I suspect that your finds date to before WWII, however. The reason I'm thinking that is the number of buttons you found. Most dress blues today only have five large buttons on the front of the jacket. The extra button that goes underneath the large belt is a flat plastic one.

Seven large buttons points to WWI era and before.

What do the backs look like?

Attached is a picture of a button I pulled off my husband's uniform this evening.

Attachments

• Buttion.jpg
    Buttion.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 249
Wow, thanks Gecko!
I went back to the same area today and found another small button - I guess that completes the set.
The backs of the buttons are extremely corroded and most fell apart after I rinsed them in water - I suspect they were made of tin. The buttons were 2 pieces with loop on the back

I got no clue KS, but it's a really kewl find... and I'm gonna snatch this opportunity to squeeze in a pic of the very few (that's "relative") that I found... for the heck of it (K?):
(No reply necessary 'cause this ain't my thread.)

Attachments

• Eagles&Anchors.jpg
    Eagles&Anchors.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 227
Back
Top Bottom