Bronze hook of some kind

StevenB

Anyone have any ideas on what this object was used for? It's a heavy bronze/brass casting, about four inches long. It's clearly meant to be hammered into place; one end is pointed and the other has a flat surface for hammering. Obviously a hook of some sort, but for what? Found at an 1800's home site.

Attachments

• IMG_20171109_221039927.jpg
    IMG_20171109_221039927.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 208
Possible part of a barn door latch or kerosene hook, nice find whatever it is. hh

Last edited:
Lightning rod ground wire standout. They were employed to stake a cable out away from a house that ran from a lightning rod to a ground rod. The flat part was where it was struck with a hammer to drive it.

Lightning rod ground wire standout. They were employed to stake a cable out away from a house that ran from a lightning rod to a ground rod. The flat part was where it was struck with a hammer to drive it.

Excellent id, I thought myself looked like a cable retainer, but the bare metal threw me off thinking it would be porcelain..

Seems like a logical use for this. Thanks for the ID!

Back
Top Bottom