• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Walked Away A Winner

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
I stopped at the store for some juice and checked the coinstar machine. $1.67 in the machine and the juice was $1.49. I even found a parking spot. Hope that wasn't all my luck for the day, I have some lottery tickets for tonight.

Neat, Coinstar paid for your juice with 18 cents left over ! :thumbsup:

Instead of starting a separate thread I'll share my Coinstar finds from today here also.

What I think is a Coinstar first for me - a Wheatie ! (along with 2 chewed up zincolns :lol:)
coinstar_wheat.jpg coinstar_lincolns.jpg

That wheatie is a great find a 1943 steel cent. 1943 was the only that steel cents were made.

I didn't give it a lot of thought initially, didn't look at the date right away, but did notice it didn't look copper color but thought it was just grunged up, didn't look at it closer till I got home, but yes you are right it is a steel cent, even checked it with a magnet, too bad it wasn't a 1943 copper cent :lol: but a neat find nonetheless.

I used to have quite a few steel cents when I was a kid, not sure whatever happened to them, ......or all my old comic books, ......baseball cards, .......(now vintage) toys....... :lol:

If I had my old comic books, baseball cards, and toys from when I was a kid I would be retired not out playing with a metal detector. OK, I probably would be, but I wouldn't dig zincolns.

The half eaten cents are not right, I have roman coins that are 900 years old and I find US cents 20 years old that are eaten away. The worlds first biodegradable coin.

If I had my old comic books, baseball cards, and toys from when I was a kid I would be retired not out playing with a metal detector. OK, I probably would be, but I wouldn't dig zincolns.

I can agree with that ! :lol:

The half eaten cents are not right, I have roman coins that are 900 years old and I find US cents 20 years old that are eaten away. The worlds first biodegradable coin.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1943 steel penny

Neat, Coinstar paid for your juice with 18 cents left over ! :thumbsup:

Instead of starting a separate thread I'll share my Coinstar finds from today here also.

What I think is a Coinstar first for me - a Wheatie ! (along with 2 chewed up zincolns :lol:)
View attachment 404580 View attachment 404581

Great Coinstar find , found lots of foreign coins and lots of crusty pennies , and modern clad , only a few wheat pennies and no steel one yet. Did find a few plastic coins so far that look real so far.

payoff

I lucked up 1time and found I think it was 67 cents. Other than that , usually all I get is tired walking over to look in the empty hole .

I checked a machine that i think i have only found one coin in before because of it's location by the front door i imagine every kid checks it. Found 3 clad dimes in it today. Checked the regular one that often has coins big nothing.:laughing:

I checked a machine that i think i have only found one coin in before because of it's location by the front door i imagine every kid checks it. Found 3 clad dimes in it today. Checked the regular one that often has coins big nothing.:laughing:

The funny thing is 2 kids were waiting right next to the machine while their mother got a shopping cart. When I was a kid I couldn't pass any coin operated machine without checking it.

I guess kids today don't care about money. Five years ago I told my friends 12 year old son I'd give him $40 to cut my lawn, it takes less than an hour. He declined, I used to shovel snow for 2 hours for $10 and was happy to get it.

The funny thing is 2 kids were waiting right next to the machine while their mother got a shopping cart. When I was a kid I couldn't pass any coin operated machine without checking it.

I guess kids today don't care about money. Five years ago I told my friends 12 year old son I'd give him $40 to cut my lawn, it takes less than an hour. He declined, I used to shovel snow for 2 hours for $10 and was happy to get it.

Less than an hour to mow ? $40 ? .......too bad you don't live close by, I'd gladly mow it for that much ! :lol:

I think I remember getting something like $2 or $3 per sidewalk shoveled, and getting a weekly allowance of $1 and I would collect empty soda bottles and cash them in at 2 cents each for the return deposit.

Some kids today act spoiled if they don't have their own cellphone, $100 tennis shoes, the latest video game system, even their own car given to them when they turn 16 :shock: :lol:

Some kids today act spoiled if they don't have their own cellphone, $100 tennis shoes, the latest video game system, even their own car given to them when they turn 16 :shock: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Of course his parents got him a car when he got his license. But he doesn't know how to put air in his tires, or wash his car.

I don't think he cut a lawn in his life, and he probably doesn't know how to use a rake.

No sidewalks in my neighborhood but the driveways are 20 feet wide and at least 100 feet long, had to clean off the cars too. That's a lot of shoveling. I used to ride my bicycle almost 5 miles to cut 2 lawns, but I felt rich when I had that $10 dollars in my pocket.

Of course kids today don't have time to do anything, with music lessons, sports, school, studying, scouts. My nephews kids play hockey, soccer, take piano and violin lessons. His wife wants them to take fiddle lessons, when my other nephew asked what was the difference between a violin and a fiddle I told him it depends on where you pick it up. In Boston it's a violin, in Nashville it's a fiddle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom