im going to cuba!

.... but that corrupt officials there might confiscate your detector for themselves even if it is legal, .....

Ok. Understood. Thanx.

As it applies to possible corruption in Cuba: I suppose a person could just take a cheapie detector. I mean, if they're ALREADY going there for their vacation anyhow, there's scores of $50 ebay detectors, that .... although not perfect, are good enough to dink around.

I have seen some posts from someone(s) who'd detected on Cuba beaches w/o issue. But I don't see them now with a cursory 15 second search. In fact, I think I recall someone snapped a picture of a local cuban dude who was swinging a detector on a beach.

Ok. Understood. Thanx.

As it applies to possible corruption in Cuba: I suppose a person could just take a cheapie detector. I mean, if they're ALREADY going there for their vacation anyhow, there's scores of $50 ebay detectors, that .... although not perfect, are good enough to dink around.

I have seen some posts from someone(s) who'd detected on Cuba beaches w/o issue. But I don't see them now with a cursory 15 second search. In fact, I think I recall someone snapped a picture of a local cuban dude who was swinging a detector on a beach.

That was my thinking too, take an inexpensive detector like the ones you mentioned (or even a brand new BH Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby for about $66 with their coupon) so IF it is confiscated or stolen you are not out a huge amount like you would be with a high end detector.

I even had tried to find a listing for a metal detecting club in Cuba or a listing for a place to buy metal detectors in Cuba but found nothing yet.

really sharp

Tom, Tom, we are talking about Cuba. They are not swords, they are machetes. Kept really sharp, to cut through the sugar cane stalks. :roll:

I often wondered if the same machetes they cut cane with are used in the hundred or so beheading murders that seem so common south of the proposed wall. The cane they grow in Cuba appears to be twice the diameter as the skinny stuff they grow in so Florida. I might add they harvest it here with machines.

In any case, I think the original poster should just borrow a machine from any one of the non-believers. I mean why risk losing yours.

If I can't get a clear answer from people with experience that detect there I just wont bring it.. That is probably exactly what the people in the shadows want to.. everyone to think it's illegal and such.. I don't really know about the right people to contact.. So what Im trying to do is just buy a $100 detector locally.. If it get's confiscated Ill be slightly less pissed off but will know for next time :cuss:

If I can't get a clear answer from people with experience that detect there I just wont bring it.. That is probably exactly what the people in the shadows want to.. everyone to think it's illegal and such.. I don't really know about the right people to contact.. So what Im trying to do is just buy a $100 detector locally.. If it get's confiscated Ill be slightly less pissed off but will know for next time :cuss:

You would think there would be at least a couple places in Cuba to buy a detector but if there are they are not easily found online.

If you wanted to take an inexpensive (about $66) detector with you....

Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon that can be printed from their web site.

(with the coupon you can get the Tracker IV for about $66)

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

hobbylobbytk4.jpg

Hello fellow detectorist,
I am going to cuba in 12 days for our honeymoon and i plan on bringing my at pro and my plastic sifter. I have a checked bag but am I able to bring my detector to cuba? anything I should watch for? where should I hunt specifically?
I went to cancun last year and had no issues bringing my detector in my checked bag. When I got there I only hunted the beach. I hunted practically every day and found a bit of pesos and one very small what i believe to be gold ring.
I am looking for Coins and gold. any input from people with this experience would help.

Why in the He** would you take your new bride to Cuba of all places?! :no: There are so many better free countries that you could take her to! I wouldn't go to Cuba in the first place, and second, I wouldn't take anything with me that I would miss if it got taken from me, including my significant other.

As far as metal detecting on a honeymoon goes, :shock: I think you have your priorities mixed up! ;) :lol:

.... I think you have your priorities mixed up ...

Are you trying to imply that a guy on his honeymoon, OR AT ANY TIME should have higher priorities than metal detecting ? Tsk tsk. It's YOU that has your priorities wrong young man . :laughing:

You can ALWAYS find someone to tell you "no". You can ALWAYS find some way it's not "safe", etc... Fine then: Don't leave the USA, lest a lion attack you ?

And people can always find tom in ca that always says “go for it you will be fine”. :laughing: (not that I’m debating the Cuba yes or no with you)

As far as metal detecting on a honeymoon goes, :shock: I think you have your priorities mixed up! ;) :lol:

As a male this is a valid point but I’m sure he can take a few 30 second breaks from detecting:laughing::laughing:

Are you trying to imply that a guy on his honeymoon, OR AT ANY TIME should have higher priorities than metal detecting ? Tsk tsk. It's YOU that has your priorities wrong young man . :laughing:

You have been married too long I take it buddy!

Toms right...priorities...Women are merely another attractive fickle distraction trap for a guy, like a shiny curvy interesting TJMaxx bauble, or a Corvette.....super expensive low ROI or Garage sale potential....Expensive Time wasters, fragile, finicky, like a Minelab, cant cook worth a damn...they rob you of your best productive years trying to figure them out, hoping for some sort of break even recompense...later in Life, slow and heavy to handle even....

Keep it simple... "Time and Gold Wait for Nobody!" Get a BH and hunt totters for clad...:laughing:

As a male this is a valid point but I’m sure he can take a few 30 second breaks from detecting:laughing::laughing: ....

Hmm , interesting point: S~x only takes 30 seconds (if you're fast). But metal detecting, of necessity, takes hours. All day if the beach action is good .

Thus SURELY our newlywed wives will understand this obvious disparities of needed time ? I mean ... sheesk, how obvious is this ? :D

Hmm , interesting point: S~x only takes 30 seconds (if you're fast). But metal detecting, of necessity, takes hours. All day if the beach action is good .

Thus SURELY our newlywed wives will understand this obvious disparities of needed time ? I mean ... sheesk, how obvious is this ? :D

Give my condolences to your wife.

Currently in Cuba with my ace 250.. i don't k ow how it will be leaving..... But I do know I've only ever used my at pro.. this ace 250 is just throwing signals every which way.. there all in the foil range so I haven't been digging them.. over the course of a hour and a half I found one pop tab.. The pinpoint doesn't work so well on the device I feel... I can't seem to ground it either?.. if I go over any wet sand the thing just screams over and over..

Currently in Cuba with my ace 250.. i don't k ow how it will be leaving..... But I do know I've only ever used my at pro.. this ace 250 is just throwing signals every which way.. there all in the foil range so I haven't been digging them.. over the course of a hour and a half I found one pop tab.. The pinpoint doesn't work so well on the device I feel... I can't seem to ground it either?.. if I go over any wet sand the thing just screams over and over..

Forget the wet sand with that. Stay on the dry.

drop a nickle and set up accordingly..like half power......do not expect crisp signals or familiar TIDs with a single freak on wet salt sand...you have to hunt blow out locations and shallow 'target profile' signatures...thats your only hope...you can do it if you investigate what your parameters are...and they are not much...still..you got better odds than any of us sitting here...

Cuba

Dude! taking a detector on your honeymoon---- doesn't matter where you're going--------bad idea..................:laughing: Tony AZ....

I was reading the countries list and it says there are no restrictions in the US, but I have been reading a lot on public (BLM, USFS, etc) lands.

I was reading the countries list....

os1rfw, I put VERY LITTLE stock into what some of those compendium effort countries lists have. To give the background of how such *wonderful* lists get assembled, read on T'net, "treasure hunting legal issues" section, under the recent "California beaches" post. To just use that as an example, of they psychology of how such lists get compiled.

... but I have been reading a lot on public (BLM, USFS, etc) lands.

Ok, and what about them ? Not prohibited on those 2 types land in Utah. So long as you're not snooping around obvious sensitive monuments.

Back
Top Bottom