Hi from Ontario, Canada/Detecting in Cuba

nicolopicolo

Hi to all,
On Dec 11, 2008 I got back from Santa Lucia, Cuba.
After I landed in Cuba at the airport in Camaguey, I spoke with the custom officials and I ask if I’m ok to bring along my metal detector as for hobby on my next visit… bla..bla..bla…and the response was definitely NO.
At first hand they were not sure what I’m talking about, but after hands on demonstration with the detector from the airport they take the time and call their head office in Havana.
I have seen only one Canadian on the beach and I start the conversation with him on entering and hunting in Cuba... He has the detector in the country for 5-6 years but no intention to cross the border (to take the detector out) again. He told me it’s easy to cross in but will be hard to take the unit home.
Any how until this regime still in power I will not risk my detector.
I found out from this gentlemen that the beach is highly contaminated with junk, and mostly finds are Cuban pesos and one gold ring.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes your detector would be at risk. Better to buy a real cheap detector to take with you. You may also have trouble taking out of the country what you find. Don't know about the laws there.

But best of luck! Whatever you find out please let us know. :yes:

Welcome to the forum. It would be nice indeed to metal detect a beach in Cuba. but until a new regime is installed more favorable to tourist dollars MD is not a good plan. When it does open the chances for gain are enormous. that place is virgin grounds for metal detectors......

Welcome aboard NicPic..... interesting story. I would not risk my equipment in that country.... justice is as they see it at the time. RickO

About 4 hours East of you....

I suppose had I looked at the upper right of the post I would have seen your location.
A bit of a stretch and who knows what the border crossing would be like.

Something to look into anyway. And yet another reason to pick up a Passport.

Marty

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, from Nick in Connecticut, USA! I wonder if you would also have trouble leaving Cuba with newly aquired 'treasure', if you were to find some significant jewelry.

I wish.

I vacationed in Cuba 4 years ago and contacted the Cuban Embassy here in Toronto about metal detecting. They replied "enjoy our beaches , no metal detecting. While i was in Varadero I saw a guy on the beach sitting on a beach chair with a $50. Radio Shack detector under it. Never saw him use it tho. I guess if you bring in a cheapo detector just leave it there and just take home all the rings...:>)

I vacationed in Cuba 4 years ago and contacted the Cuban Embassy here in Toronto about metal detecting. They replied "enjoy our beaches , no metal detecting. While i was in Varadero I saw a guy on the beach sitting on a beach chair with a $50. Radio Shack detector under it. Never saw him use it tho. I guess if you bring in a cheapo detector just leave it there and just take home all the rings...:>)

Varadero has got to be one of the most beautiful beaches in this hemisphere! The white sands are so fine grained they are almost like flour, and the sight of the manta rays gliding along near the beach's edge is incredible.

Cuba is no place to take a detector, the laws are whatever the flavor of the day is.

I emailed the Cuban Tourism department a few years ago about metal detecting there and received no response.

Back
Top Bottom