Rummage sale find, what is it?

Edsel Detector

A friend found this at a rummage sale and no one seems to know what it is. Over the years i've seen the geniuses in this forum indentify a lot of obscure items...so..what is it?

Attachments

• whatisit.jpg
    whatisit.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 636
I want to say I've seen a table like this before for massive books. They have smaller ones and the ramps help preserve the bindings because they don't let the book lay flat when it opens. I've seen a bigger one, like this, in old library where it had a massive encyclopedia or data book on it. Kind of like when you see those old books of early computer code and they are 12" thick.

It could even be one where it had many copies of newspapers or magazines on it. Each one being able to fit it's edge into a slot.

I want to say I've seen a table like this before for massive books. They have smaller ones and the ramps help preserve the bindings because they don't let the book lay flat when it opens. I've seen a bigger one, like this, in old library where it had a massive encyclopedia or data book on it. Kind of like when you see those old books of early computer code and they are 12" thick.

It could even be one where it had many copies of newspapers or magazines on it. Each one being able to fit it's edge into a slot.
You might be on the right track with newspapers or magazines. Maybe in a library. The items would be on sticks that fit into the grooves.

Cliff

You might be on the right track with newspapers or magazines. Maybe in a library. The items would be on sticks that fit into the grooves.

Cliff

Exactly what I was thinking, I'm glad someone else knows what I'm trying to piece together.... I just can't find them on Google.

I'd have thought some sort of weird washboard myself, but that was already mentioned.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

Assuming it is flat front to back, then I don't think it is a reference book table. Those are usually tilted towards the reader.

Assuming it is flat front to back, then I don't think it is a reference book table. Those are usually tilted towards the reader.
From the picture there are a few things that you can't determine. My wife thinks the slopes on either side are different angles. It also looks like some of the grooves are different widths.

Cliff

From the picture there are a few things that you can't determine. My wife thinks the slopes on either side are different angles. It also looks like some of the grooves are different widths.

Cliff

I think she's right.

Upon closer inspection it might be slightly raised from back to front. Not as much as a reference book stand, but slightly. The top of the grooves in the front are flush with the frame, but in the back the grooves are not set within the frame. Maybe it's even hinged and the far side lifts up. If it is for sorting objects, the slight tilt would keep the objects at the bottom and the open far end might aid in adding new objects.

I think she's right.

Upon closer inspection it might be slightly raised from back to front. Not as much as a reference book stand, but slightly. The top of the grooves in the front are flush with the frame, but in the back the grooves are not set within the frame. Maybe it's even hinged and the far side lifts up. If it is for sorting objects, the slight tilt would keep the objects at the bottom and the open far end might aid in adding new objects.
A lot of unknowns. Lol

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom