Detecting dirt from cemetery?

Nubster

So...I was detecting on school property next to a historic cemetery when the care taker came over and started talking to me. He told me he'd be digging a new grave later in the evening or tomorrow morning. He said I was welcome to detect the dirt that comes out of the ground. He said when they dig a new grave the dirt gets haul over to the edge of the cemetery away from all the other graves. This cemetery was part of a Civil War battle so it's hard to tell what kinda relics are there that will never be able to be dug except for instances like this. He said I could dig all the old dirt that's there too.

Thoughts? I don't think it should be off limits since it's not actually in the cemetery at the time it would be detected.

No only is it not in the cemetery, you've been given explicit permission to detect it. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Yeah...he said I was welcome to all the old dirt too that's been unloaded and pushed around so that's years worth...since it was a CW skirmish area with artillery fired from both sides...I'm hopeful I might find some cool stuff. Guess we'll see!

Yeah....I'd be hesitant and probably not do it if they just piled the dirt graveside like I've seen some cemeteries do. But he said they remove it completely and haul it to the edge of the property then of course after the funeral they fill in the grave and whatever is left gets pushed into the woods. So there's going to be quite a bit of cemetery dirt out there for me to detect. I'm just hoping that most of it isn't the stuff from 6 feet deep.

I'd be all over that. And theres been Plenty of goodies found at the DIV digs that were Feet down.

In my state, its illegal within 10' of a grave. Sounds like youd even be legal here.

Just curious, but what's he going to fill that hole back in with if he dumps the dirt elsewheres?

Just curious, but what's he going to fill that hole back in with if he dumps the dirt elsewheres?

I assume it's only part of the dirt that gets dumped. With a concrete vault holding the casket, I'd guess around half gets dumped. I would think the topsoil is saved for the final cover, so you'd be searching soil from deeper down.

I've often thought of this subject, (transported dirt)
I've seen dirt piles at the edges of some county side cemeteries too,
then later the dirt piles get flattened out
or spread into the neighboring corn field.

The image of these dirt piles :digginahole: reminds me of when,
Cool Hand Luke had to use that flat coal shovel,
digging a "hole" getting the dirt out of Boss Keans' ditch ......:D

:digginahole: :digginahole:

I'd be all over that. And theres been Plenty of goodies found at the DIV digs that were Feet down.

In my state, its illegal within 10' of a grave. Sounds like youd even be legal here.

It's not far from the graves. It's a small cemetery but the dirt is definitely more than 10' from the closest grave. They dig the hole and move the dirt from the site for the funeral then fill it back in with the same dirt. I guess it's just the way they do it in this cemetery so there's not a big dirt pile covered with a fake grass carpet next to the casket during the service. What ever dirt is left over is pushed flat out into the woods behind the cemetery. They didn't did it this evening so I guess they will in the morning. The mini-track hoe is parked next to the dirt dump though so I'll try to hit it some tomorrow before work if there's time.

Of course you detect that! Just don't do it during any funeral/burial gatherings, where you'll be seen by mourners. I guess if you don't know the cemetery schedule for whatever day you're there, just be ready to pack it in and leave if you see a procession coming. Otherwise, scan that dirt hard! Let us know what you find.

It's not far from the graves. It's a small cemetery but the dirt is definitely more than 10' from the closest grave. They dig the hole and move the dirt from the site for the funeral then fill it back in with the same dirt. I guess it's just the way they do it in this cemetery so there's not a big dirt pile covered with a fake grass carpet next to the casket during the service. What ever dirt is left over is pushed flat out into the woods behind the cemetery. They didn't did it this evening so I guess they will in the morning. The mini-track hoe is parked next to the dirt dump though so I'll try to hit it some tomorrow before work if there's time.

Sounds like dug dirt is all over the woods near the cemetery perimeter from years of burials. Do the entire area thoroughly.

Nails. Lots of square nails. Nothing good. I didn't detect the old dirt. I didn't realize how much there was but there's about 100 yards by 25 yards and it goes over a steep embankment and at the edge where it's deepest it's easily 15-20 feet deep.

47fmx9.jpg

Nails. Lots of square nails. Nothing good. I didn't detect the old dirt. I didn't realize how much there was but there's about 100 yards by 25 yards and it goes over a steep embankment and at the edge where it's deepest it's easily 15-20 feet deep.

47fmx9.jpg

:laughing: Good one!
Square nails are good age indicators, but you already know there was CW activity there. Start finding the good stuff, and worry about the depth later. I mean, if you did dig some worthy relics, you do know who could scrape a top layer off for you. Find the goods-work a deal-find more goods. Hoping for the best for ya!

I say go for it for sure with the permission..
but my thoughts are also that most items will be in the first foot or so..

That being said, I would think as they are shoveling it out of the ground the top layer is on the bottom of the pile there for as they refill they will be taking from the top.. Now the casket and any cement box type thing will take a lot of the space and they will always have left over.. IF as you say they ditch the excess in the woods.. I would definitely detect THERE as well.

I was pleasantly surprised that they had the top soil and the deep soil in separate piles. Nothing in the deep stuff...all the nails in the top soil. I was able to flatten that pile out to about 12-14" deep...went over it with both the AT Pro and my Simplex. Might hit it again tomorrow unless the funeral is tomorrow. If so...I'll wait until Wed. and go back for the old stuff and start seeing what I can find. Fingers crossed.

Sounds interesting. And the best part about it is that your search pile will be reloaded every so often. Should be a constant source for likely good finds. Keep after it.

Back
Top Bottom