Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM

ToySoldier...I'm not surprised. I have an oversized silver windshield shade that I'll use while transporting the EQX 800 to and from the site. It'll be under HVAC. I won't leave it in the vehicle for very long. Certainly not overnight.

b/r

RB

Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
Two nights ago I left my Nox in my vehicle. Tinted back windows. I remembered the next afternoon and brought it inside an air conditioned house. It was 88 degrees outside and I was thinking about this discussion. I measured the temperature with a laser "point and shoot" thermometer. The black plastic on the control box was 115 degrees.
"The black plastic on the control box was 115 degrees"

I found big numbers on my machines when I slipped just a little in caring for them. I didn't have one of those laser gauges, the digital thermometer I leave in the car, next to the detector, was over 120F or close.

Here is a question. I know for a fact that I killed two multi freq coils on my old V3i, before I learned. Have I let a "lazy" day where I left the Equinox in the car, before doing a Homer DOH! and gather it in? Resin softening die to heat inside a coil, surely have degrees of failures before losing all integrity.

Are my 600 and 800 machines both 80-100% now? I seem to hear less distinctive tones.

Best thing to do people? Don't leave the machine in extreme temp variations. Cold should be far safer. With heat though, it's just the opposite. I hate thinking my setups are weakened due to laziness.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

I generally don't leave mine in a vehicle.

If I do, I crack the windows and cover it with a windshield sun screen.