• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nice circa 1900 Local Blobtop bottle find!

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Got out Friday for some social-distancing by myself out in the woods and stumbled onto some surface debris and the probe hit something about 12" deep. Turned out to be this circa 1900 local blobtop from the next town over (which I just happen to collect). I had to temporarily remove the rusty bail to get inside to clean it. I used a sharpie to hilight the slugplate embossing. The neat thing is this is a rarer variant of the "Chas. Menzel, LaPorte Ind." blobtop I already had. Always nice finding some age (which has been eluding me lately) and especially one for the shelf. :cool3:

Attachments

• DSCN1917.jpg
    DSCN1917.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 465
Great find - always nicer to find your own especially if you can use it. I’m actually in the process of trying to clear out lots of blobs and hutches - 100ish I would guess

Great find - always nicer to find your own especially if you can use it. I’m actually in the process of trying to clear out lots of blobs and hutches - 100ish I would guess

Yeah Jim, I agree. I usually pull something from the dirt and say "Aaaahh- already got one of those, da**itt!" I first thought it was a spare, until I got it home and noticed it was different. It's a really good feeling finding needed ones.

You have lots of cool bottles there TO unload, for sure. :yes:

Very nice bottle and I really like the look with the Sharpie:D

Yes if you look at the old 70s bottle magazines, them guys used to slop white paint on the embossing, which is a bad idea because the paint gets in the nooks and crannies and is hard to remove, so I just use a marker, wipes right off.

BTW I was scraping around a surface dump today and saw something small and round...it was THIS:

Attachments

• Scan1526, April 27, 2020.jpg
    Scan1526, April 27, 2020.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 347
Back
Top Bottom