Sat down in Montana! 1841 Dime!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Wasn't expecting this find! Had a bit of free time this early evening, headed out to a local park that only dates back to the 1940's. Before this area became a city park, it was part of Marcus Daly's lumber mill and log pond. He founded the town of Hamilton Montana in the early 1890's, where I live, and used this area to log timber for his mines in Anaconda and Butte.

Yes, it is pretty worn, but only my second Seated coin since I began metal detecting again 3 years ago. They are tuff to find here as this area is much newer compared to the Midwest and East Coast. This park has been hammered for 40 years or more, so just was hoping the AT Pro could eek out a shiny coin, and it did!

Attachments

• disme.jpg
    disme.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 248
Wow! That might be the oldest buried coin in the state. I haven't even broke into the 1800s yet . Nice job!

A bit worn but she is Seated and not a easy find. Congrats on the old Silver David and thank you for sharing some Montana history of your home town. Trapper

woodbutcher - thank you!

WyoTom - thank you, yep, plenty old for Western Montana!

normx2 - thank you, and yes, close to a bust dime!

MTtrashdigger - thank you and it is definitely an early one. I was shocked when I got home to gently brush the dirt off and could see the date!

Waveoff - thank you!

Yooper Rich - thank you, for sure an oldie!

ugadigger - thank you!

DougF - thank you!

Tpmetal - thank you!

Trapper - thank you, I can imagine some old lumberjack "log rolling" in the mill pond, taking a sudden bath, and having this dime fall out. It does look like it has about 50 years worth of wear on it!

A huge attaboy on that one, just a great save. The AT Pro shines again. Still looking for my first seated coin. Congrats. HH Mark

Thanks Mark - you have sure done great in the last month, have read your posts on the Forum and great that you are doing so well! Was back in Pittsburgh last year for my favorite uncle's birthday, they live in the Bridgeville PA area. Lots of old stuff back where you are!

Sweet find. That is a rare one out west. Seated still on my wish list.
Don't find them all. I'll be back up to Montana in a couple months. Will get back out with you.

Buellride, thank you! And good to see you have been doing well over in Western WA!

MTJosh - thank you, and for sure let's do some detecting together soon!

twizzlerlord - thank you!

Back
Top Bottom