A couple of lucky silvers

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Went out yesterday in the rain and wind looking for some unsearched ground. Found a funky triangle of public property overgrown with weeds and coarse grass so thick you could hardly swing the coil. Still, seemed like a spot to at least try. 5 minutes in I found the Merc about 7 - 8" down and oriented vertically! I thought "oh boy, this could be a great location". Then about a hundred bottle caps later, oddly most still attached to the intact necks of the broken bottles I finally, turned the quarter from right along the sidewalk. In between I found a couple of wheat pennies. All in all, not a bad day of hunting - '41 Merc, '62 GW, '40 & '38 wheat pennies. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. Thanks for looking, HH.

Attachments

• Merc plug.jpg
    Merc plug.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 404
  • Resized_20190410_105054_3537.jpg
    Resized_20190410_105054_3537.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Resized_20190410_161958_1859.jpg
    Resized_20190410_161958_1859.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 352
That's a nice hunt. I also find a lot of those screw caps attached to the neck of the bottle. Good reason to wear gloves when digging.

Nice going on the silver! Finding small areas of public ground that other people have overlooked is rewarding.

beephead

Nice going on the silver! Finding small areas of public ground that other people have overlooked is rewarding.

beephead

Thanks. It always amazes me when I find a site like this. Makes you wonder what people were doing there years ago. The location just seems like the kind of place where nobody would be hanging around in, let alone dropping change.

That's a nice hunt. I also find a lot of those screw caps attached to the neck of the bottle. Good reason to wear gloves when digging.
Thanks. It was weird that nearly every bottle cap I found was attached to the intact neck of a broken bottle. Worst yet is they all sounded in the wheat penny range, so I dug a lot of them. Hard to figure out why there were so many of these. This is mostly a residential area, and isn't, and likely wasn't subject to a lot of foot traffic. Sometimes there's just no answers to the questions.

The 705 does a great job ID ing coins vs junk...but, I get those #%&$$ twist caps that because they're so nice and round they ring up as a coin. A US quarter. Sometimes they give that harmonic sound when wiggling off with the DD coils but many times No. I dig to be sure its not a coin on edge. No matter how good your VDI works and sounds, you just as well dig. I've had a few quarters I almost past up because I just dug a six pack of those dumb caps. As pictured, 3 quarters and more caps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190329_120657.jpg
    IMG_20190329_120657.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 264
A lot of times when teens are drinking they find it fun to throw the bottle at a given target (tree, sign, rock etc) and it’s more likely to bust, which is the goal, with the cap on to seal in the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom