Finally - some Montana Silver!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I've been struggling to find silver coins recently, so decided to hit it hard for two days. I detected about 6 hrs each day, and finally broke thru to the silver side!

The detecting conditions were great, as the soil here is nice and moist from snow melt, the grass is laying flat from winter, and I cranked the AT Pro up to max sensitivity to give me the best chance of finding good stuff. Got permission at a 1892 mansion that has been detected before by others. I shoved the coil into the grass, and listened for those wonderful smooth faint high tones. Found three sterling rings including the Boy Scouts "Be Prepared" ring. Also found there were the three Merc dimes, and one of the Indian Head Pennies (now we have an episode of the Hoover Boys!). A permission across the street (ca 1910 home) yielded the 1900-O Barber Quarter, another Sterling silver ring and the turquoise jewelry cross, and a 1896 IHP! It is tough to find Indian Head Pennies here as the town I live in really didn't take off until about 1895-1900. Between the two sites, I also found a total of 48 wheaties! I couldn't believe all the pennies that were coming out. The trade token is from the Corvallis Logging Co. of Monroe, Oregon. The 1927 dog tag is from my town.

I'll end with a few thoughts about the depth capability of my AT Pro. From reading other threads, esp. about the new Nox 600 & 800, I realize that I won't get quite as deep as with those machines, so I try to use my machine to it's best capability. I run Pro Zero, iron discrimination at Zero, and nothing notched out. I have the stock coil. The ground mineralization balance here is about 85. I let my single brain cell decide what is good or bad. My detector barely picked up one of the Merc dimes as it was at 8" deep, and a super faint high tone. My deepest Wheatie was at 9" and again, that high tone squeak was just barely detectable. All of the other coins shown were dug between 3" and 7" deep and no problem to find.

Thank you for your interest, I did get a bunch of clad, lots of memorial pennies and about 10 Jefferson nickels, and am glad to have finally gotten some local silver!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 239
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 188
WOW Great Hunts. Its days like this that will spoil you. lol. Congratulations.

Great hunt! I also live in MT and have been detecting for just less than a year. Actually a lot less if you subtract the long winter we've had. I have yet to dig a silver coin. I have found wheat pennies as old as 1942 so I know there is silver hiding somewhere. Your success proves it. Thanks for the morale boost!

Great hunt! I also live in MT and have been detecting for just less than a year. Actually a lot less if you subtract the long winter we've had. I have yet to dig a silver coin. I have found wheat pennies as old as 1942 so I know there is silver hiding somewhere. Your success proves it. Thanks for the morale boost!

Thank you MTtrashdigger! Yes, there is silver waiting for you for sure, as wheaties and silver do run in the same pack! I've had my detector for a bit more than a year, but used to detect back in the early 1980's so I do have some background in detecting. That has kinda helped out with finding places to detect that have not been hammered by others, and with learning my machine.

Nice finds 👍🏻 I run my Pro with 0 to 35 discrimination notched out but think I'm going to change that for some reason I start to get more interference in that range.

Great hunt! Congrats on the rings and silver coins! Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great group of finds! Congrats on hitting the silver.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom