Water Detecting - return to passion after 21 years.

R

rich01

Hi, all. I am looking at the Tesoro Tiger Shark and the MineLab ExCal 1000 for water detecting in the Chesapeake Bay. I did some hunting in 1984, found some beltbuckles at old beaches, nothing really good. But then the tides of time swung me away to other pursuits (a job, a wife, children etc.). Now I am back on the Bay with a boat (36' cabin cruiser) and some time and I want to return to my previous passion. I have been searching forums and tech articles on the current technology and it looks like these two are among the best for what I want to do, which is waist deep and less water detecting. Money is not an object here. I simply want the detector that is going to allow me to have the most fun. (Least frustrating and hopefully best at junk discrimination with relatively simple ground balancing.) Any suggestions, ideas and comments are welcome.

Rich S.

Welcome to the forums. Of the two that you mention the Excalibur would be the better choice followed by the White's Surf PI. The Ecal can be used in , under water ,beach wet and dry sand as well as the land since it's a VLF. PI's do better in wet salt sand but because they mostly do not discriminate , you'll find them difficult to operate on land. Over all the Excalibur is the better. The Tiger Shark although a VLF also , it does not perform to the level of the Excalibur and I have found it to false at times. If you need any more help let me know.

Back
Top Bottom