Tesoro cortes

Boilermaker27

I am a great fan of Tesoro. I use a Tejon for relic hunting and could not be happier, it is light, lightning fast and deep.

I need a backup detector though. The Tejon is great for relics but for coins I would prefer a metered machine.

I bought an X-Terra 705 to use for coin hunting and as a back up relic detector. It is a fine machine for coins but for relics, it just won't find the iron relics in discriminate, like my Tejon will find the iron objects in discriminate. My Tejon talks to me and I understand what it is saying.

There is a shortage of 705's now and I am seriously thinking of selling the 705 and maybe going with the Tesoro Cortes as both a back up machine and a coin machine. Problem is that there is not much information on the Cortes. I have read a few reviews on some of these forums and also googled Cortes but not much out there.

Seems like most people opt out for the cheaper, but killer Tesoro machines and kind of shy away from the more expensive Cortes.

So I am having a big argument in my head. Do I sell the 705, which would sell quickly right now and buy a Cortes, or do I keep the 705?

I had the opportunity to swing a Cortes and i really liked it. The only thing i did not like about it was the screen. It was just too small for me but my eyesight is not that great. IF the screen was just a little bigger it would be perfect. I decided on the DeLeon because of the screen but i do wish it had some of the features that the Cortes does, (light, GB, sum ).

I just bought a Cortes as my first machine a few weeks ago. I have used it about 8 hours so far. I can't speak about hunting iron relics with it though as I've hunted the entire time with iron descriminated out. It is a joy to use though. It is very lightweight and is doing very well on coins. I've found close to 100 so far. No silver yet but have found 5 wheaties and one Indian Head (1894) the IH was at about 7-8 inches. I am still learning the machine but love it so far. I will not have a chance to take it out for a week due to work obligations but when I get back out I will hunt for a while with the descrimination at minimum and see how it does.

I had 1/2 hr. tonight so I took the Cortes out in the back yard with the descrimation turned to minimum. I found two rusty iron nails both at 6+ inches. The machine went off with a loud repeatable tone on each nail. Found a Lincoln cent at about 5 inches along the sidewalk as well. Time to go to work.

One more thing about the Cortes that really seems to be coming in helpful is the sum mode. Sometimes the target id will show different results on deeper items with each pass. When swept with the sum mode it seems to beep in a very different tone depending on what the item is. All coins seem to high a higher pitched beep than other items. I'm still in the beginning stages of learning this machine. I've been around a few metal detectors in my life but this is the first I've owned. I'm extremely happy with it so far.

thanks for the help

good information. I am really thinking about selling the 705 and ordering a Crotes. Any cons to this idea?

Cortes the g/b is only adjustable in all metal.
The g/b for disc is fixed.
Check out the scannerguy test of Deleon on YouTube.
Pretty amazing results.

Very different machines..

which is better the vaquero or the cortes and why ty.

..not even close to being the same. What will you be searching for, and where?

Vaquero is more of an all-around and a more versatile hunter. You can ground balance it for nearly any land soil conditions and coils you like to use. It's also a deeper hunter than Cortes, and it's lighter to swing.

Cortes has a preset GB so it won't work well in as many soil conditions. It will however, ID targets with varying audio tones and it has a visual, numeric ID display. Vaquero doesn't do that stuff..

"better" is relative to how you'll use the detector.

I had a Cortes and enjoyed it a lot. However, I bought mine used. It's a great $400 machine, but to buy new makes no sense to me. There are a lot of machines that are more capable at a much lower price. F75, T2, Patriot. Even the new AT Max is priced about the same and it is waterproof, wireless, GB in disc, etc.

cortes or the vaquero

ok thank you all i know the vaquero is a hard detector to beat i have 1 and the cibola but was not to sure a bout the cortes was thinking of getting 1 but idk now ..... again thank you guys for the info

Back
Top Bottom